Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

View Poll Results: Biggest Underachiever?
Minnesota Timberwolves 5 31.25%
Houston Rockets 4 25.00%
Denver Nuggets 4 25.00%
Other 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2005, 02:33 AM   #16
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Shawn Kemp for a very brief period of time was the freak of the league. If he didn't do drugs and eat ribs... who knows?

Say this or that about Cassell and/or Spreewell, but they performed very well in the playoffs throughout the careers. Does anyone need a reminder that Olowakandi is their center?

But some of the blame has to go to Coach Saunders. Why does he get a free pass and Adelman in Sac-Town gets razeed?

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 04:15 AM   #17
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

Timberwolves for sure. Except for Kevin Garnet, that team has to clean house and bring in some younger athletic players likeRichard Jefferson, Michael Redd, etc and a veteran point guard like Jason Kidd. Maybe trade Cassel, Sprewell, and Olowokandi for RJ and Jason Kidd if the contracts work.

But even though everyone around KG are getting old, they are also playing with no heart. Last year, they were good because they were motivated and were playing as a team, you don't have pieces of trash like Sprewell Asking for more than 9 million dollors so he can feed his obese family. This year, you have Sprewell tanking everything because he's not making his millions. I have no idea how a human being can be more selfish than that. I'm glad they took Olowokandi away from us. Clippers gave the wolves Olowokandi. Clippers get nothing in return. Probably the best move in Clipper history and probably the worst in Wolves history.

Aaaa okay. Fine. Olowokandi ain't that bad. But he still sucks.
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:21 AM   #18
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Clipps
This year, you have Sprewell tanking everything because he's not making his millions.
To be specific, Sprewell wants millions... on top of the millions he's already earning...

They've really regressed after a fantastic season last year. Sooner than later, KG is going to have to let this team know (behind closed door) that they need to get their $^@& together (if he hasn't already).

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:57 PM   #19
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Clipps I doubt the Nets would bite on a trade like that. They are trying to keep the payroll down and get younger. Trading for guys like Cassell and Sprewell would be a waste for a team trying to get younger.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:15 AM   #20
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

It's easy to blame this guy for the Wolves struggles

www.nba.com/media/suns/ga...ippers.jpg
Old 01-11-2005, 04:26 AM   #21
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

My vote for biggest Underachievers so far went to the Rockets, but just barely.... Minnesota popped up first in my mind. With Houston, you have what looks like on paper to be the closest equivalent to Kobe/Shaq that we've seen since..... but then you realize there's a whole lot more to it than just stats.
Minnesota lost to the Lakers tonight. My feeling is the contract negotiation struggles with Cassell and Sprewell have had a domino effect on the team spirit here. KG is still 100% and if you love basketball you have to love KG.

but Minnesota should have unquestionably dropped the money to keep Spree and Cassell and keep the momentum rolling. They did not, and as a result, the team has cooled. Looks like a slowly decreasing negative slope.
The Lakers however, look like they're on a slowly but steadily increasing positive slope.

Last edited by Shawndo; 01-11-2005 at 05:16 AM.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:56 PM   #22
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

I was at the game last night. The biggest reaction the Wolves gave the crowd last night was showing Michael Bennett and Daunte Culpepper on the scoreboard.

They got a 45 second standin ovation, even by KG.

Speaking of KG......he is to this state, what Kirby Puckett once was. And that is saying something, considering how much the Vikings are King in Minnesota.

KG is beloved by everybody here, and it's killing a lot of people to see him walking to the bench, with his head hung, either in dispare or frustration or both.

He continues to put up double-doubles like most people put on socks, and nobody else is even playing it seems like. He's doing everything he can, and it's not enough.

Word is a deal is close to sending Cassell/Spree to New Orleans for Davis and Mashburn and two others.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:57 PM   #23
Cowboy22
All-Star Player

Cowboy22 is on a distinguished road

My vote goes to the Rockets... barely. I figured that adding the NBA's best scorer in Tracy McGrady to a team that already has one of, if not THE best center in the West (with Shaq going to Miami), the Rockets would be doing MUCH better than they are now. They have a lineup similar to a Lakers version. They have their two superstars, and add roleplayers around them. Bob Sura is underappreciated in my mind. David Wesley should've helped the Rockets more than he has. Maurice Taylor is a quick athletic power forward who pushes Juwan Howard on the bench (can you hear Woody Paige crying now?). The Rockets should be a winning team... They are 17-17.

The T-wolves are a very extremely close second, but I think the realization that last year's team was basically a one-year output to win is starting to set in. Sam Cassell and Latrell Spreewell were added so that Minnesota could keep KG happy long enough to sign him to an extension. Cassell is getting older and belongs to a team whose coach will force him to regain the team ball he played last year. I also think that in the future, Spree's pay should be docked to the league minimum. Then, let's hear him complain when he gets offered an extension like Minnesota attempted to do.

The Hornets are a good third place simply because they are so horrible... Baron Davis has been hurt, Mashburn has been trade bait for a couple of years now, and they have no one else around them... It's easy to see why this team is bad... but 2 wins? That's just sickening.

Detroit and Denver gets my fourth and fifth place votes.

Somebody said that Indiana belongs on the list. I laughed. Indiana in the pre-brawl was one of the best teams in the NBA. Post-brawl, after losing their BRAND NEW 2-guard for 30 games, their Defensive Player of the Year winner for the whole season, and their consistant All-Star for 15 games, and signing players who couldn't make the cut for teams like Milwaukee and New Orleans to contracts just to fill the roster... AND STILL maintain a .500 record. That's hardly underachieving.
Home of Emmitt Smith---All-Time Rushing Leader (17,162 Yards)
Cowboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:22 AM   #24
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUViking
KG is beloved by everybody here, and it's killing a lot of people to see him walking to the bench, with his head hung, either in dispare or frustration or both.

He continues to put up double-doubles like most people put on socks, and nobody else is even playing it seems like. He's doing everything he can, and it's not enough.
That is exsactly how it was like for Elton Brand and Corey Maggette later in his career. Especially in the 02-03 season, the year where the Clippers were supposed to be a lock for the playoffs, possibly home court. A team with Brand, Maggette, Odom, Miller, Q, Olowokandi(Before we knew for a fact that he sucked) was such a talented group. I think the talent was better than the Suns talent right now. But Elton Brand and Corey Maggette were the only ones giving it 100% while Odom, Miller, and Olowokandi would just stand around picking their noses.

The wolves need to move Cassel and Sprewel. I believe this termoil for the Wolves started when Sprewel went on a rampage because he was making 9 million instead of 14 million and wasn't able to feed his family. Me and My family all together don't even spend more than 10 dollors a day on food and Sprewel tries to pull "I gotta family to feed" BS.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:31 AM   #25
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

Quote:
Sprewel tries to pull "I gotta family to feed" BS.
Who care's about that. I didn't even bat an eye at that remark. Just another stupid remark by a millionaire athlete.

What DID get my blood boiling was what came AFTER that, and why the media didn't make that a story, I'll never know.

Quote:
"Why should I help this team win a championship when they won't pay me what I am worth?"
:redhot:
Old 01-13-2005, 02:43 AM   #26
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

So far, the Timberwolves share the same record as the Clippers. For a team that is supposed to be fighting for the best record in the league and a championship, that is downright pathetic. I almost thought it was a misprint when I looked at the stangdings and the Clippers, Grizzlies, and TWOLVES were fighting for the 8th playoff spot.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:08 AM   #27
Diceman
X-Ecutioner Dice

Diceman is on a distinguished road

LOL Latrell Sprewell is worthless, I hope we waive him and pick up Tremaine Fowlkes.
Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:34 PM   #28
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
[COLOR=purple]

Speaking of KG......he is to this state, what Kirby Puckett once was. And that is saying something, considering how much the Vikings are King in Minnesota.

Word is a deal is close to sending Cassell/Spree to New Orleans for Davis and Mashburn and two others.
This in a nutshell explains my problem with KG. He is an icon in the state, the MVP of the league, and his team is in dysfunction. When his team is struggling he increases his effort and productivity like a superstar should. However a superstar should also address his teammates when they are not putting forth a good effort as is obviously the case with a few of the Wolves. MJ, Magic, Bird etc. always put a foot in someone's a$$ when they were not giving a worthwhile effort, and for KG not to do the same leads me to question his leadership abilities. If these guys don't bringing it he should be the first one pushing for a trade to get rid of the dead weight.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 03:07 AM   #29
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

KG is a leader, off camera. He's not the type of guy who will publicly lambaste his teammates or go and complain in the papers.

That's not his personality. You can see it on his face though....he is ready to explode.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:36 AM   #30
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:

That's not his personality. You can see it on his face though....he is ready to explode.
At least he's mad about it. That should change things.

Team leaders set the tone for the squad...they don't follow the beat of a teammate's drum. I agree with the post up above. When guys aren't playing up to potential, and the team is suffering, the main guy (in this case KG) opens his mouth. Some people will say "the guy will lead by example" or "let his play do the talking"...well, this isn't working. Garnett can only be passive about the situation for so long. Sometimes teammates don't react well to a kick in the pants by the team star. But also, sometimes players recognize a passive star, and have the "if he doesn't care, then neither do I" attitude. Neither are a good thing.
I am in no way saying that Garnett is ok with what's going on. Nor am I saying that as long as he's making his money he's fine and doesn't care about winning. But, like it or not, it's his job to fire up his team. And it is HIS team.
All the great ones have had that ability: Bird, Magic, Michael Jordan. I think that Garnett has his teammates' respect, and they would shape up if he called a meeting and aired things. But, the longer he waits, the less respect he'll have when he finally opens his mouth.