Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Tennis

Old 02-07-2001, 01:05 PM   #1
tennis4you

tennis4you is on a distinguished road

Ok folks, next up, French Open, I believe it begins May 28th!!! This is a tough slam for a lot of players. You have to be physically fit and metally tough to go the distnace in this one!!!

Anyone have any predictions for this tournament? Kuerten will be defending the title, do you think he can? I haven;t seen Safin play on clay, how did he do last year?

It would be a dream come true for me if Sampras could win this, but I think his chances are over. However I think I read that he is training from the AO to the FO for JUST the French.

Despite all of that, I think Kuerten has a great chance on winning this again, assuming he brings his game to the court.

As far as the women, I can't even think who won it last year, shame on me. If Hingis or Davenport could win this it would complete a Grand Slam, and they are my top 2 choices for this tournament. Hingis more than Davenport. Even though it doesn't seem like Hingis can finish out a tournament recently.

What are your thoughts here?

Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com
tennis4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2001, 04:45 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Well...

Well, it's unpredictable on the men's side these days. You could have the vets like Sampras, Agassi, and Rafter show up to play, or others like Safin and Kuerten. It will be interesting to see who shows up to play in THIS tournament. Can Agassi continue his success?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 08:04 AM   #3
Peck
All-Star Player

Peck is on a distinguished road
Cool

I think Rafter will have a chance......in the aussie open he only used his energy too much and then he pulled a muscle.....he was like hitting 5 aces in a row!!!! GOD!
Peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 08:39 AM   #4
tennis4you

Hmmm, I am not going to pick him for the Frenc, but I will say he has EXCELLENT chances at the U.S. Open and Wimbledon!!! Actually, I will say he will win one of the 2! But the French, I am not sure if he will ever win that one. Serve and volley players just hate that clay!

Old 02-23-2001, 02:03 PM   #5
coach tom
Grizzled Veteran

coach tom is on a distinguished road
Default It's too far off, but I'll try...

The French is too far off and will be too hard to predict. It is easier to predict the final four, who should be, barring injury, Agassi, Kafelnikov, Kuerten and Clement. I do not believe Guga will three-peat, and I think that Agassi just won't get it done on the red dirt, so that leaves Yevgeny and Arnaud. Give the advantage to Yevgeny...

For the women, look to see Hingis vs. Clijsters in he FO Final, with the Swiss Miss winning in straight sets.

Of course, this could all be wrong. We'll just have to wait and see...
Old 02-23-2001, 08:49 PM   #6
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

I think that Kuerten will win again. Sampras won't get past the second round. He is terrible on clay courts.
Old 02-23-2001, 11:29 PM   #7
tennis4you

If Kuerten brings his stuff to the court I think he has the best shot, I would love to see a good Kuerten/Agassi final!

I would be very happy to see Sampras get to the second round let alone past it. lol, poor guy, he is losing it fast! I hope he can redeem himself this summer! But I think you are right, it won't be at the French!
Old 02-24-2001, 08:20 AM   #8
Peck
All-Star Player

Peck is on a distinguished road

I just would love to see Yvegeny back in buisness.....he isn't really greedy or anything hes just the
"silent" type which i like........Also doesn't it ever bother u watching Agassi bowing and blowing kisses to the audience???
Peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 10:23 AM   #9
tennis4you

Default nope.

No, it doesn't bother me at all, i think he does it out of respect for the fans. I have no problems with any part of Agassi's attitude, even though I am not really a fan of his. I think he handles everything pretty well.