Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Who will win this matchup?
Tennessee Titans 5 50.00%
Oakland Raiders 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2003, 07:13 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default [Conference Championship Playoffs '03] Titans vs. Raiders

Tennessee feels the only way to get respect is to win it all in San Diego on January 26. The Titans struggled to put away Pittsburgh in the divisional round before Joe Nedney's 26-yard field goal in overtime sealed the deal. The Raiders, meanwhile, want to earn some respect of their own after soundly defeating the Jets, who some were crowning the New England Patriots of 2002. Things won't be easy for Steve McNair and company in the confines of Network Associates Coliseum, where a horde of boisterous and energized Raiders fans await. (NFL.com)

Please use this thread to discuss the matchup. Thanks!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 09:26 PM   #2
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

This game bothers me. I so want the Raiders to fall face first and get run over, but I just can't reason a way the Titans stand any chance at all in this game.

The Titans pass defense was generally unable to contain the Steelers passing game, which is clearly inferior to the Raiders passing game, so I don't see any fewer than 31 points on the board for the Raiders.

While the Titans can fling the ball around, too, I'm not sure they can fling well enough to get past the resurgent Raiders secondary.

One thing really going for the Titans in this game: no trash talking. The Titans aren't going to give the Raiders any reason to want to kick the Titans' asses the way the Jets did, and I think that will matter for a little while.

IF the Titans secondary can contain the Raiders pass attack, and IF the Titans can control the ball for 35 or more minutes of the game, and IF the Titans can avoid special teams letdowns, IF the Titans can win the field position battle handily, they have something of a chance. But, I just don't see it. McNair's good, but Gannon and his trio of WRs, not to mention the dominant OL, are better.

I'll say this: it should be the hardest hitting game of the playoffs. These teams, especially along the line of scrimmage, love to beat on the opponent, and neither are taken to turtling or backing down. Like last week, it should be competitive for a half, maybe a little longer. And then, curtains...

Raiders 41 Titans 27

Dave
Old 01-14-2003, 11:05 PM   #3
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Da Raidez are simply overpwoering against the Titans. 28-7 Raidez
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 11:14 PM   #4
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

The key for the Titans to win this game is to bring on the pass rush. The only lost in the Raiders' last nine games was at Miami, where Jason Taylor rush the crap out of Gannon, sackin' him numerous times, also made him fumbled twice. If Jevon Kearse can do the same, this is going to be a close one. But if he can't, blowout Raiders, 52-25 all over again.
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 11:21 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I agree, Hero. That is the Titans' only hope. And unfortunately, they'll be unable to put a paw on Gannon. The key to the Raiders offense is their ability to run the ball out of obvious passing formations, and throwing out of obvious run formations. (Note the Porter TD v. Jets--Power right run formation, so of course Gannon heaves a perfect ball thirty yards downfield to the left.)

Worse, and more effectively, the little shovel or delay handoff to Garner in 4 wide formations means Garner gashes the middle for 10+ yards on almost every attempt. The Oakland OL is playing with such ferocity and is so dominating right now...

I look forward to the Oakland Philly Super Bowl.

Dave
Old 01-14-2003, 11:28 PM   #6
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

I smell upset....
Old 01-14-2003, 11:40 PM   #7
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

Tennessee's hopes to win this game rest on their ability to run the ball, convert on third downs, and win the time of possession battle.
The condition of E. George had got to be of primary concern for them.

Oakland could have done a better job against the run vs the Jets last week. I was not that thrilled with their performance in that regard. Not terrible, but not great.
They REALLY need to stuff the Tennessee run and force McNair to beat them through the air and on improv runs.
If he can make plays all day and get it done for his team, more power to him. I frankly don't see it happening.

The Titan defense is pretty good, but not great. I see no reason to think that Oakland will not move the ball well and score their share of points. They got things tuned up in the 2nd half of the Jet game and should continue this week.

Bottom line.......

Raiders 26
Titans 17
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 12:02 AM   #8
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Titans... Run...? That's like mixing oil and water, it just simply doesn't. I have never seen a team rushes 33 times for 90 yards and STILL continues to run it.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:38 AM   #9
Brian Pehl
Sports Enthusiast

Brian Pehl is on a distinguished road

The Titans will certainly have to keep up with the Raiders if they want to win this game. I think the blowout (52-25) in week four will give the Titans some motivation. They will need to apply pressure on Rich Gannon and play tight coverage on Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, and Jerry Porter. Eddie George is a workhorse, but as much as I hate to admit it, he will not be same for this game. Steve McNair has been the warrior and he will be the key. I remember watching the game in week four and there were penalties that were not called on the two special team returns for the Raiders, but the damage was already done and the Titans could not recover. I expect the Titans to give them a game this time around.

Brian
Brian Pehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 02:45 PM   #10
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

I love this! Nobody is picking the Titans to win this matchup in the Black Hole. Sure the Raiders should win this game, and everything points in that direction.....but not so fast my friend. The very key to this game will be if Andre Dyson can play this week at corner, if his shoulder does not allow him to then the Titans are in a mess.

The Titans have dominated the running game all season, so I don't expect big numbers from Garner as far as rushing is concerned. The Titans did not get as much pressure on Maddox as they needed to, and that is a major concern for the Raiders offensive line is the best in football. Kearse is still not healthy, and only blitzes will get to Gannon for a sack more than likely.....I also don't like the idea of the Titan's blitzing for that leaves one on one coverage in the secondary.

Expect the Titans to attack the middle of the field with both the passing and running game, just like they did against the Steelers for most of the game. So, your asking why I think the Titans will win this game....and the answer is they will be more physical and they have an unheralded leader named Steve Mcnair....who always gives his team a shot at victory in big games.

Joey
Old 01-15-2003, 03:28 PM   #11
Brian Pehl
Sports Enthusiast

I'm taking the Titans! I just wanted to point out some things that concern me. Kearse, George, and Dyson will not be not 100 percent, but I'll still take McNair and the Titans' desire and physical attributions. The game in week four with the Raiders was a fluke. That was a Titans team that was headed downward, plus the the penalites (block to the back) were not called on the two returns for touchdowns. It is revenge time.

Brian
Old 01-15-2003, 04:29 PM   #12
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

I voted for the Titans...I guess I'm nobody....
Old 01-15-2003, 04:38 PM   #13
Brian Pehl
Sports Enthusiast

Okay, if I voted for the Titans and NickHammy voted for the Titans on this poll, then I guess we are somebody. NickHammy how about those Buckeyes!

Brian
Old 01-15-2003, 07:16 PM   #14
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by I OWN THIS
I love this! Nobody is picking the Titans to win this matchup in the Black Hole.
Nobody picked the French either.

Quote:
Sure the Raiders should win this game, and everything points in that direction
Yep

Quote:
.....but not so fast my friend. The very key to this game will be if Andre Dyson can play this week at corner, if his shoulder does not allow him to then the Titans are in a mess.
Your hopes rest on Andre Dyson????

"Our" hopes rest on Rice, Brown, Woodson, Garner, Woodson, Romo, Gannon.....uhh...need I go on?

Yep, you're officially screwed.

Quote:
The Titans have dominated the running game all season, so I don't expect big numbers from Garner as far as rushing is concerned.
I don't expect it either. He'll do "ok" and that'll be good enough. We all know the style of play that Oakland uses.

Quote:
The Titans did not get as much pressure on Maddox as they needed to, and that is a major concern for the Raiders offensive line is the best in football.
No doubt it has to concern you. Gannon will have time. Did I say something about somebody being screwed??? *chuckle*

Quote:
Kearse is still not healthy, and only blitzes will get to Gannon for a sack more than likely.....I also don't like the idea of the Titan's blitzing for that leaves one on one coverage in the secondary.
Guess I should not repeat myself. You know what I am thinking.

Quote:
Expect the Titans to attack the middle of the field with both the passing and running game, just like they did against the Steelers for most of the game.
Adams, Parella, Romo, Harris, R. Woodson.

Yep, come right on down main street, will ya?

Quote:
So, your asking why I think the Titans will win this game....and the answer is they will be more physical and they have an unheralded leader named Steve Mcnair....who always gives his team a shot at victory in big games.
Hey, I KNOW why you are picking the Titans to win. It's called myopia.....or loyalty.....or being a fan. Hey, I dig that. I would likely try to dig deep to find a reason Oakland would win if they were the 7 point dog.

Problem is that I would be just as misguided as you are here.

Oakland is on to the Super Bowl. Yep, it's a Silver and Black season, my friend.
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 09:49 PM   #15
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

I don't know, I don't want to be cocky as to say they will go to the Superbowl, it might come back and bite my ass. But as long as I see no Goose, snow, or pass rush, I can't imagine the Raiders loosing.