Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough
Question How did Daniel Snyder make money?

How did Daniel Snyder make so much money as a businessman, being as it is obvious that the man is legally retarded?

Forget all the big-money, cap-crippling deals for guys like Deion Sanders and Mark Brunell who were way past their primes. Forget his insistence to both Norv Turner and Terry Robiskie that Jeff George must start ahead of Brad Johnson (or else!). Forget Snyder's mid-season firing of Turner at a time when the team had a winning record and was still in playoff contention. Hell, forget his initial attempt to name his friend Pepper Rodgers the interim head coach. You can even forget that he fired Marty Schottenheimer following an 8-3 hot streak so that he could pick up Steve Spurrier.

Why, WHY, WHY ON EARTH does he want to hire all these failed re-tread head coaches? First, Little Mora was the front-runner. This guy makes Philip Rivers look level-headed, grown-up, and mature. Now it's Jim Fassel, who was last seen being fired as offensive coordinator of the Ravens. If Baltimore think its offense is better without someone, why would anybody else want to give that person a promotion?

Snyder is also now blatantly copying Jerry Jones by looking to hire an OC (Jim Zorn) before he has a head coach in place.

Russ Grimm is currently assistant head coach in Arizona, but it's his first year there, and thus not his fault that the Cardinals suck. He was Pittsburgh's Asst. HC when the Steelers won Super Bowl XL, and he was an HOF-caliber guard for Washington -- under head coach Joe Gibbs -- in the 1980s. I've heard rumors that the team was denied permission to speak with Grimm, but he seems like an obvious choice -- nay, the obvious choice -- to me.

Even if Grimm isn't available, there are a lot of better choices than Fassel, and promising as Zorn may be, the head coach should really be in place first.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:11 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

It is rather surprising that, given he's one of the NFL's youngest owners, Daniel Snyder is clearly living in the past.

His way of thinking was predominant in league ownership circles two or three decades ago; perhaps the best example was when the Saints hired Hank Stram.

During that same era, not having played the game professionally was seen as an automatic disqualification from being named a head coach: Prior to 1981, only one head coach of a Super Bowl (from 1966 onward) or NFL championship (before that) winner had ever been a non-ex-player (Paul Brown). Since that time, the vast majority of Super Bowl championship teams have had head coaches who had no pro playing careers.

Obviously Snyder isn't keeping up with the trends; and believing a "big-name" head coach will increase attendance at home games is a total non-issue in this instance, as Redskins tickets, like Giants tickets, are sold out with literally generations-long waiting lists.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad O. View Post
How did Daniel Snyder make so much money as a businessman, being as it is obvious that the man is legally retarded?
I have often wondered the same about Jerry Jones. His only saving grace is that he was able to coax Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells into running his teams for a few years. It amazes me that his ego is so big that he can't get out of the way of the guys who know best how to build a winning franchise. Sadly, for Dallas fans that is, this current incarnation will have peaked by this time next year, if it already hasn't, since Jones has already proven himself fairly inept at drafting quality talent.

From all accounts it sounds like Snyder is getting ready to blow everything up again. I cannot help but wonder if he will ever understand the concept of building some semblence of continuity in the coaching staff and that acquiring core talent via the draft as opposed to free agency is how you build a franchise to win over he long haul.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Snyder Cleans House

To nobody's surprise the Redskins officially released Gregg Williams and Al Saunders from their contracts and Jim Zorn was officially hired as the new offensive coordinator:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3215817

It would appear as though Joe Gibbs has no real influence in his role as an advisor to Daniel Snyder as he advocated hiring Williams and keeping the staff in tact.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:27 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

What a mess!

Will Snyder ever learn?

And with the Giants most likely having to deal with the Super Bowl Runner-Up Jinx next year and the Cowboys exposed as a fraud coming off another late-season folderoo, if the Eagles have an even halfway proactive offseason, the NFC East is theirs for the taking in 2008.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

vandal_88 is on a distinguished road

this is just ridiculous...

he nees to hand that team over to somebody with half the brain he's got...
Old 01-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

vandal_88 is on a distinguished road

the same can be said about al davis...

he wants lane kiffin to sign a letter of resignation...

that would make 5 head coaching changes in 6 years...

Gruden to Callahan. Callahan to Turner. Turner to Shell. Shell to Kiffin. Kiffin to ???.