Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 11-11-2003, 06:31 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Berroa, Willis Voted Rookies of the Year

Quote:
Berroa, Willis Voted Rookies of the Year

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writers

NEW YORK - Kansas City shortstop Angel Berroa beat out New York Yankees (news) outfielder Hideki Matsui for AL Rookie of the Year in voting that rekindled the debate on whether veteran Japanese players should be eligible.

Florida pitcher Dontrelle Willis easily defeated Milwaukee outfielder Scott Podsednik to win the NL award.

Berroa's victory came in the closest AL rookie race in 24 years. He received 12 first-place votes, seven seconds and seven thirds for 88 points in totals released Monday by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Matsui got 10 firsts, nine seconds and seven thirds for 84 points.

Berroa had to lean against a wall to hold himself up when he heard the news. He then jumped and shouted.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ne/bbo_rookies
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 02:14 AM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Congratulations on well deserved honors for both guys. Angel Berroa is one of the best young hitters I've seen in a long time and is getting better defensively as he feels more comfortable in the field.
Willis was at times dominant. He could become one of the best pitchers in the NL. I don't really like his mechanics, but if they were to be changed, so might his ability to get hitters out. His career could be short-lived due to injuries, but he could pitch for 20+ years using the same mechanics.
Both players deserve the honors and I congratulate them both.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 03:31 AM   #3
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

Brandon Webb got robbed, he had the similar if not better numbers than Willis except for wins. And Webb did it the whole season, instead of the mid-season callup of Dontrelle Willis. And Podsednik ignited the Brewers offense, coming from no-where.

Not to demean any of Willis' accomplishments at all. And I know the media frenzy and his story did a lot too. But Webb and Podsednik were the better ball-players this year as rookies.

I would have probably voted Podsednik, Webb, Willis.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 06:02 AM   #4
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

When were the ballots cast? Before or after playoffs? I would also agree that Brandon Webb should have won. Wasn't he among the league leaders in ERA this past season?

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 12:00 PM   #5
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

Yeah, he was forth in the leauge. A half a run better than Willis.

And the ballots were cast before the playoffs, as with all the other major awards...
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 04:43 PM   #6
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Matsui got robbed. 33 more RBI, 15 (or something around that) more doubles and one less HR. The two writers that didn't even vote for Matsui obviously are Yankee haters. One is from Red Sox nation and the other from Twins nation. They just find it convienient they can blame their hate for the Yankees on Matsui because he is a 29-year old Japanese league vet. What bull****.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:17 PM   #7
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Berroa had more home runs, more triples, more stolen bases, more runs scored, a better slugging percentage, a better on-base percentage, and he had a golden-glove like season after the month of May.

And he was called the team's MVP by his manager. Meaning he was the MVP of a team that lost 100 games last season and had a winning record this season.

He was also left off two ballots.

Matsui had a great season, but he was batting right in the middle of the most powerful offense in the major leagues. With the exception of RBI and doubles, Berroa outdid him in almost every other statistical catagory and he did it with guys like Dee Brown hitting behind him.

The right guy won ROTY, regardless of age or experience.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 03:04 PM   #8
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I think Webb was robbed also. But then I am bias But his stats were better, bar the win loss record. But if you take into account the amount of games he left after giving up just 1 or no runs, only to see the lousy Dbacks run machine get blanked, then Willis isnt even close imo.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:23 PM   #9
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
Matsui got robbed. 33 more RBI, 15 (or something around that) more doubles and one less HR. The two writers that didn't even vote for Matsui obviously are Yankee haters. One is from Red Sox nation and the other from Twins nation. They just find it convienient they can blame their hate for the Yankees on Matsui because he is a 29-year old Japanese league vet. What bull****.
Your point is valid to a certain degree, but I've always hated when they throw around the term "rookie" too loosely. How long did Matsui play in Japan? I don't really consider him a true rookie. I know they gave Nomo the rookie award years back (95) but the idea of someone getting the award when they have years experience seems kind of tacky.

I'm glad Berroa got it. He is a true rookie. The "Yankee hater" writers must know something.

One question: Why is it when the Yankees' fans don't get something they always think that someone is out to get them, or that it is some monumental conspriracy against them?
franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 09:45 AM   #10
rocketman
Sports Enthusiast

rocketman is on a distinguished road

Matsui did meet the criteria set by MLB for the selection of rookies for the honor. That said, I'd give a slight edge to Berroa. I was impressed with Matsui's solid playoff performance. But, the award is of course based solely on regular season performance, so again I give Berroa an edge.

The NL, I'd place Willis third, and vote Webb or Podsednik first.
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 09:46 AM   #11
rocketman
Sports Enthusiast

rocketman is on a distinguished road

Come to think of it, I might even put Marlon Byrd of the Phillies third.
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 01:26 PM   #12
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Alex, the writers just don't like the fact that Hideki Matsui is a 29 year old multi-year veteran of the Japanese major leagues. He was an all-star there and MVP as well. This, along with Berroa's solid season, sealed the votes.
Look at the voting for the All-Rookie team. Matsui finished 4th among rookie outfielders -- behind Jody Gerut, Rocco Baldelli, and Scott Podsednik.
Sorry, but this is not a conspiracy against the Yankees. It is writers and managers voting for the rookie that they felt deserved the honor the most.
As to the NL, I don't necessarily agree with Rocketman, but I'm glad to have his input. Welcome to the boards and have fun here.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote