Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 06-18-2003, 11:21 PM   #1
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road
Default Curt Schilling...To become a Blue Jay?

According to ESPN's Peter Gammons, Schilling has contacted Toronto Blue Jays coaches and has expressed an interest in having them express an interest in trading for him.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/...ports/Baseball

I cannot even express how much this move would help the Toronto Blue Jays. Think about the 1-2 punch with Roy Halladay AND Curt Schilling? Which would undoubtedly be the best 1-2 punch in baseballl, mixed in with the best offense in baseball.

Now obviously, taking in his salary isn't that easy...meaning that we'd have to give up some prospects and eventually Shannon Stewart, who by the way isn't even being missed with the impressive play of Reed Johnson.

I know Schilling has been on the DL twice already, and is 37 years old...but he's still got a good 4 or 5 years left in him. Plus the Jays really haven't had a real #2 starter in a while, although you can make a case for Cory Lidle...but he's been rocked his last couple of starts. So what are your thoughts? Any possibilities of this happening?
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 11:35 PM   #2
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Stewart for Shilling could happen. Shannon is in the last year of his deal and Johnson has been great.

I hope so... it'd be great for the Jay's.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 11:50 PM   #3
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

I really don't understand why Schilling wants to leave Arizona, they're off to a very slow start this year, but still, they'll get going. He has a better chance to win a championship with Arizona than he does with Toronto, despite the Jays' early season success.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:55 AM   #4
The Baron
Sports Enthusiast

The Baron is on a distinguished road

Perhaps he just wants to go to a team that actually scores some runs!
The Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 10:11 AM   #5
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
Perhaps he just wants to go to a team that actually scores some runs!
.. and the Blue Jays do that alright

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 10:29 AM   #6
edgar109
U-C-O-N-N

edgar109 is on a distinguished road

A good 4 or 5 years? He is 37 and injured. Hes not a Jamie Moyer finesse pitcher, more of a Roger Clemans type. And i personally dont think that he has the work ethic that Roger does to even last 3 more good years.
edgar109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 01:03 PM   #7
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Hey hey now I heard on Fox southern sports report he might be a BRAVE come october. WHo would you rather go to Jays or Braves? I think we know the answer to that one.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 03:45 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

The question is WHEN, Kornby. If he wants to play for a contender RIGHT NOW, and likely dominate over batters unfamiliar with his pitches, AND be involved in a playoff race, I think both are options, but the Braves may not need his help. The Jays need his help, and are mixed up in what is going to be, from my point of view, one HELL of a playoff race, not only in division, but for the wildcard, as well. Right now, the AL has the makings of being a better race than it was last year.

Which brings up the more general question, Jays fans: Are the Blue Jays considering making a move this season, being that they are probably one relief and one starting pitcher from taking over the AL East, or will they remain content with being "in contention" this year, shooting for their scheduled landing of next year?

I was going to start a thread on that, because of the teams in baseball with a chance, they are the most compelling to me because a)they've been pretty bad lately, b)are doing what they're doing with limited payroll and without any fans at home, due to the SARS scare. (Also helps that they're in the division I watch most, AL East, being a Red Sox fan.)

Dave
Old 06-19-2003, 03:58 PM   #9
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

What team would you rather be on a team YOU KNOW is going to the playoffs (being the braves) or a team which doesn't know and probably won't(being the blue jays). What team would you pick ?
Old 06-19-2003, 04:19 PM   #10
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

The J,

I don't understand what you mean. How does Arizona have a better chance of winning a championship before Toronto? Even with the services of Johnson & Schilling last year they couldn't escape the first round. Now, I know Gonzo's injury played a huge part, but Arizona is slowly diminishing again. If you look at the Jays, they haven't even reached their peak and they are playing amazingly. It's been mentioned a million times before, they are about 1 starter short from glory.

As far as Schilling's conditioning goes, I can see him realisticly lasting maybe 4 more years. From what I've been hearing he is a work horse and thinks himself he has more solid years ahead of him. And Kornbix, that's a tough question. Does he really want to go to Atlanta and choke every year in the post-season?? .... I'm kidding you . In all honesty, if he was looking to join a National League team then his choice has to be Atlanta. But I don't see him doing that regardless.

Dave,

I tend to agree with you. I think Schilling would love to go over into the American League and try a new style where he can redeem himself this year. Plus with the way the Jays have given pitchers run support, it's very attractive to go there. To answer your question, from what I know, is that J.P Ricciardi has given the commitment and promise that if they are still in contention by late July then they would go out and get some help for the starting rotation.

There are some untouchables in the organization obviously that he wouldn't want to trade (specifically guy's like Jayson Werth, and Kevin Cash their catcher of the future) but there would be some prospects going back if they were to land a stud like Curt Schilling.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 07:16 PM   #11
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

Well, if for no other reason, Schilling should stay because of the farm system. The D’backs will be absolutely loaded next year once top picks Carlos Quinten, Jamie D’Antona and Conor Jackson settle in. All three are great hitters and potential 30-homer guys. But it’s not just them, no, they’re only the beginning. 2B Scott Hairston (think Jeff Kent), SS Sergio Santos (five-tool, Arod-type guy), 3B Chad Tracy (Edgardo Alfonso) and OF Luis Terrero (Carlos Beltran) will all be in the big leagues by 2005. And those are just position players, they’ll have already experienced guys like Brandon Webb and Andrew Good in the rotation, not to mention top prospects’ Mike Gosling and Edgar Gonzalez, with flame-throwing Brian Bruney taking often-injured Matt Mantei’s closer role. With Jackson, Santos, Hairston (pending Spivey moves to the outfield) and D’Antona behind him, Schilling could be looking at 100 home runs from the infield alone!! Toronto looks like they’re going to be a good team for a while, but despite Delgado, Wells, Cattalanato and Halladay, they won’t be able to touch Arizona in a few years.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:48 PM   #12
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Quote:
Originally posted by The J
Well, if for no other reason, Schilling should stay because of the farm system. The D’backs will be absolutely loaded next year once top picks Carlos Quinten, Jamie D’Antona and Conor Jackson settle in. All three are great hitters and potential 30-homer guys. But it’s not just them, no, they’re only the beginning. 2B Scott Hairston (think Jeff Kent), SS Sergio Santos (five-tool, Arod-type guy), 3B Chad Tracy (Edgardo Alfonso) and OF Luis Terrero (Carlos Beltran) will all be in the big leagues by 2005. And those are just position players, they’ll have already experienced guys like Brandon Webb and Andrew Good in the rotation, not to mention top prospects’ Mike Gosling and Edgar Gonzalez, with flame-throwing Brian Bruney taking often-injured Matt Mantei’s closer role. With Jackson, Santos, Hairston (pending Spivey moves to the outfield) and D’Antona behind him, Schilling could be looking at 100 home runs from the infield alone!! Toronto looks like they’re going to be a good team for a while, but despite Delgado, Wells, Cattalanato and Halladay, they won’t be able to touch Arizona in a few years.
These great rookies don't automatically turn into awesome players. They could take a while to even develop if they turn good.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:07 PM   #13
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

god i hope Schilling doesn't decide to be a Blue Jay that could really give them a shot at the divisional. i agree with Kornibix. the prospects Arizona has are all top prospects any team would want but they won't just come to the big leagues and be good, they aren't all Rocco Baldellis. if i were Schilling i would want to be in Seattle. Seattle has a very strong team and i see them being in the chase for the AL pennant for the next few years. Seattle would have to make salary room for Schilling but Martinez is likely to retire and i personally wouldn't be surprised if Olerud did too. Schilling-Meche-Garcia is a much better 3 headed monster than the tandem of Schilling-Halladay could be. in the end i don't see him Schilling going anywhere. He has the ring so unless Arizona gets the right offer i see Schil staying in the desert.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:26 PM   #14
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

The move being discussed here would be a great one for the Jays. They could give Schilling the ball every 5 days or so and let him do his thing. He'd have a good time pitching to the Yankees, Red Sox, etc, I'm sure.
The deal, Schilling for Stewart, would not come off. There is no way the D'Backs would make this deal. It'd take a whole lot of money or several other players to make the deal work.
Schilling has been oft injured, but high quality pitcher in his career.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 06:03 PM   #15
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

Well, if they offered Shannon Stewart, Dustin McGowan (who is their system's top prospect), and cash, the D'Backs would have to be stupid not to make the deal.