Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-24-2005, 12:05 AM   #1
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road
Default Quentin Richardson to New York?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2093093

Phoenix and New York are in "serious" talks for a deal that would send Quentin Richardson to the Big Apple in exchange for Kurt Thomas. When Phoenix was dominated by San Antonio, I was interested to see how committed to being an actual winner they were, and my answer is very. Thomas brings inside presence and defensive tenacity, and sends Richardson's lack of D packing.

On the flip side, this gives further credibility to my belief Isiah Thomas is the worst GM in the League, or at least up there. Adding another headcase guard to join the bevy of headcase guards they already have isn't going to make New York a contender.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 12:31 AM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I read this earlier today and my first thought was: "Just what the Knicks need another overpaid perimeter guy who never saw a shot he did not like." It would be a good trade for Phoenix as Ford points out it frees up some cash to re-sign Joe Johnson who was a bigger part of their success this year than Richardson was and it gives them some interior toughness and another good rebounder. I don't see how Ford thinks this is a good trade for the Knicks. They go and trade their only established post player for another perimeter player.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:06 AM   #3
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

great trade for the Suns, a terriable and pointless trade for the Knicks. why take on that huge contract when your team wont be making the playoffs for the next decade?
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 02:00 AM   #4
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

Unless the Knicks are gunna clean house and trade some of their other swingmen for big men and/or draft picks, they really are in trouble for the 05-06 season and if they win more than 20 games, I'll be suprised. No one is gunna want to trade any big men for hasbeens like Houstan, Hardaway, Thomas, etc. The Knicks have no interior offensively or defensivly unless Mike Sweetney randomly turns into the Elton brand type player that the Knicks have been looking for. Tim Thomas is the tallest player on the team and he's too skinnyto play PF or Center. In that Rookie show one Spike TV where Marbury says that Okafor and the Bobcats are gunna struggle, I bet he's bangin his head on the wall right now.

As for Q, Looks like another puppet for the new Clipper curse. Darius Miles has been rotting in Clevelad and Portland, Lamar has had a crap year with the Lakers, Olowokandi...well, don't even get me started with this guy, Andre Miller continues to watch in the second half as his backup point guard who's half his size is closing out games. No one team wants to have anything to do with McInnis anymore. I guess donald sterling was being smart when he let Mo Taylor, Lamar Odom, Olowokandi, Andre miller, Darius Miles, Jeff McInnis, and Quentin Richardson go.
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:55 AM   #5
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Lamar Odom was good w/ Miami. i wouldn't use last year to judge him either. i think Phil Jackson back in town Lamar is going to be playing Pippen to Kobe's Jordan. his numbers should be better.

George Karl gave Andre Miller a lot of credit when the Nuggets caught fire once Karl took over. he should be a much bigger factor next year when Karl runs the show from training camp.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 10:42 AM   #6
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Bad trade for Knicks for reasons mentioned by Doublee and Octane. Just one more piece of Isiah's championship building plan: get as many 6'3"-6'7" scorers on the floor as possible and see what happens.

Why do some commentators think all of Isiah's moves are good ones? Because they look at individual talent rather than how the player helps the team. I'm pretty sure Q could beat Kurt in 1-on-1, but this is still a good deal for the Suns (especially with the draft pick thrown in).
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:14 AM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I think better lock up all of the sharp objects this summer, Isiah's stupidity seems to be running sky high.

Kurt Thomas was not only the Knicks most established post player, but the team's ONLY defender. The defense was absolutely atrocious last season and now it's going to be even worse if this trade is made. The Knicks already have Marbury, Crawford, Ariza and Houston (though not very well) from the perimeter. With Thomas gone, the Knicks are looking at Mike Sweetney and Jackie Butler or Bruno Sundov under the basket. Not exactly two who will strike fear into the opposition. This starting line makes me sick:

PG- Stephon Marbury
SG- Jamal Crawford
SF- Quentin Richardson
PF- Mike Sweetney
C- Tim Thomas

Trevor Ariza and Allan Houston will all most likely come off the bench. A team of shooters and no defenders. Should be a great season.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:18 PM   #8
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Excellent play for Phoenix. The get some much needed help on the interior for less money. Q was far too streaky a shooter for my tastes and he all but disappeared during the Dallas and San Antonio series. Re-signing Joe Johnson becomes a viable option (unless Cleveland extends him a max offer). Suns will also have options in the draft. Ike Diogu? Francisco Garcia? Both possible depending on what area they want to reinforce. Probably more likely to be Garcia now that KT is on board.

As for the Knicks... well, Isiah Thomas. That's it.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:59 PM   #9
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Great deal imo as Richardson went awol during the playoffs and this will hopefully free up some money to resign Johnson. I'd like to see Ike Diogu in a Suns uni, having been exposed to his game here in AZ the last few years.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:08 PM   #10
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, Diogu is a beast. I really love the way he plays. He'd be perfect in Phoenix. The extra $13 million freed up by Q's departure all but puts a lock on JJ's return to Phx.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:14 PM   #11
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Um, I mistakenly said that the Suns get a pick as part of the deal, possibly because ESPN.com's headline said "Suns would also get conditional pick". That is wrong-- the Knicks get the pick. AZ Republic concurs: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...4suns0624.html

Sorry. That makes more sense from NY's end-- the Knicks need the youth.
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:48 PM   #12
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

The Knicks need the youth but with and idiot GM and a Herb Williams as the head coach, one pick isn't going to help this team much in the long run. Granted, the Knicks made out well by taking Ariza last year but Isiah has also traded away several picks if I'm not mistaken.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:52 AM   #13
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Unless the Knicks make other moves, they better hope to god that Mike Sweetney becomes that Elton Brand player that they've been looking for.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:58 AM   #14
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Clipps
Unless the Knicks make other moves, they better hope to god that Mike Sweetney becomes that Elton Brand player that they've been looking for.
Whoa, deja vu!

To those of you who mentioned Ike Diogu, I read Suns management has all but guaranteed if he's on the board when they pick, he'll be in purple and orange next season. He's a perfect fit in that offense, plus he'd bring some much-needed power inside.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 02:00 AM   #15
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

This trae is great for the Suns because Marion goes back to playing SF where he's much more effective at.