Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 07-23-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about
Default Yawn. Is it kick off yet.

Hi guys. Just sticking my head in to see what's going on. Will be back on a regular basis (and w/my SEC East preview) once August starts to wind down. See ya then.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 11:14 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Mike! Good to hear from you ... it's been a long offseason, eh? Can't wait for things to get back into the swing of things. And get back here sooner than later.

Perhaps the biggest thing is MountaineerDave has been MIA since March. One of the strangest things I've encountered in seven years of running this site. But, we move on...
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 11:34 PM   #3
VERBZ
Grizzled Veteran

VERBZ is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I'm also too pumped for the season to start.

I can't wait to wake up on that first official Saturday morning and just mark out while watching "College Gameday"...

"....Rebuilding A Dynasty....."
VERBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 11:40 PM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by VERBZ
Yeah, I'm also too pumped for the season to start.

I can't wait to wake up on that first official Saturday morning and just mark out while watching "College Gameday"...
Same here. Too bad it's likely to be in Pittsburgh for the Pitt-ND game. Would be nice if it were at an actual college stadium instead of rented Steeler Country.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:52 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Alex...

I've been to a Pitt game in Heinz...you have no idea how bad the atmosphere is live. They're stuck there for a long time though.

I don't think I'm going overboard when I say people are hungrier for football (both pro and college) this year than I can ever recall, even by Ohio standards. It has been a long hot summer and too much Yankee-Sox overkill I guess.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:41 PM   #6
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

yeah marc, i noticed Dave missing a while back. Hope he's okay.

Wait a sec. The main reason i posted that i would be back w/and SEC preview was because i knew 78 would give me hell about the SEC being a crap conference. Come on 78, not getting complacent are ya? (You know, i kid b/c i care.)
Old 07-26-2005, 11:25 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I can't complain this year Mike. I don't think the SEC is that much better than they have been in the past, but the Big 10 and Pac 10 are going to be down this year, esp. the Pac 10. Still, I'd like to see more big games out of conference and on the road from them.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:18 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Mike: okay, this is a major pet peeve I have. People post here yet seem completely oblivious to the stories we post! You should know SC posted an SEC preview a couple weeks ago: https://www.sports-central.org/sport...review_sec.php

Feel free to post your own, but do check out the previews we've been running. There's Big 10, as well, for that crowd: https://www.sports-central.org/sport...iew_big_10.php
Old 07-28-2005, 04:44 PM   #9
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Mike: okay, this is a major pet peeve I have. People post here yet seem completely oblivious to the stories we post! You should know SC posted an SEC preview a couple weeks ago: https://www.sports-central.org/sport...review_sec.php

Feel free to post your own, but do check out the previews we've been running. There's Big 10, as well, for that crowd: https://www.sports-central.org/sport...iew_big_10.php
lol. No worries there Marc. Matter of fact, i actually got mine up before MDave put his up last year, and I kidded him that he copied mine. lol. I figure all the magazines get their word in, i gotta get mine. (remember, you ripped me for picking Vandy over UK last year. That won't happen again )
Old 09-01-2005, 08:42 PM   #10
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Not to sound off as a downer or anything, but the season starts today and I have to admit that I'm nowhere near excited. Then again, I'm not USC fan. I still can't get back into a sport with no outright champion. Every game counts, right? Without rehashing too much, which games counted for Auburn last season? Or Utah? Both unbeaten and neither even got to compete for the title. Just saying. But hey, whatever. That's college football. We couldn't possibly implement a playoff system because that would disrupt these "student-athletes" (puh-lease) from their studies. However, we have no problem extending the number of games on a regular season schedule, beginning earlier, finishing later, and making sure there is time for conference championship games. After all, there's no money to be made there. Oh wait...

Anyway, the game itself. I'm of the opinion (as is everyone with a functioning brain) that USC can do it again this year. Every analyst has them at least competing in the Rose Bowl. They lost Shaun Cody and Mike Patterson -- probably their two best defensive playmakers -- to the NFL this year, possibly exposing their run defense a little, but this team is set. The offense, Norm Chow or not, will roll this year and the Pac 10 still isn't very deep. Arizona State and Cal (like last year) look to be the biggest threats to the Trojans. So, you know, they'll be fine. I'm just hoping for a respectable year from Arizona and a win in one of the exhibition-it-doesn't-matter-who-plays-here-since-there's-nothing-at-stake bowls. I think a top five conference finish would be huge for the Wildcats.

But as I said, USC is the only game in town. There's a slew of #2 teams out there. I'd say about five of them end up with one loss on the year and of those five, only one can be voted in to the title game. It's a sham and, darn it, it's not the best college football can do. Who is the Rose Bowl loser this year? I don't know. Pick anybody. Michigan? Sure, them.

I know there are a lot of good regular season games to look forward to, but man... the payoff in bowl season just isn't there for me.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:08 PM   #11
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

where the **** is mountaineer dave
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:53 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Graham
where the **** is mountaineer dave
Everyone's wondering the same thing. No one knows. We all miss him dearly. And while I hate to be premature, I have to wonder if he is even with us anymore. He is not someone who just disappears for no reason.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:03 PM   #13
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Yeah, that bothers me as well. Has anyone been able to get him via e-mail? Anything?

A little bit down, but back on topic, I am psyched about tomorrow. My stomach is already in knots and the game is almost 24 hrs away.