Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 06-19-2006, 10:19 PM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default Holmes still packing his "extra baggage"...

Some young guys just don't have a clue....

Holmes charged with assaulting woman

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes was charged early Monday with assaulting a woman, his second arrest since he was chosen in the first round of the NFL draft.

Holmes was arrested at an apartment just after midnight and taken to the Franklin County jail, Sgt. Loucious Hollis said. The 22-year-old player is to remain in jail until his arraignment Tuesday on charges of domestic violence and simple assault, both misdemeanors.

Police received a call from a female who said the father of her child had assaulted her, police spokesman Sgt. Michael Woods said. While the officers were making their report at the apartment, Holmes returned and was arrested. Police would not release the woman's name or details about what Holmes was accused of doing.

Before the April draft, Holmes said he hoped he would be a top pick so he could support his three children.

Holmes, who is from Belle Glade, Fla., was arrested in Miami Beach, Fla., on a charge of disorderly conduct during Memorial Day weekend. Steelers coach Bill Cowher criticized Holmes the following week, but said he wouldn't hold the matter against the former Ohio State receiver.

The Steelers did not return a message concerning this latest arrest......

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5708108
Old 06-19-2006, 10:47 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Man, what is it about those OSU guys and staying out of trouble? :lol:

I guess we are beginning to see why Holmes didn't go as high as the draftniks thought he would. Hasn't exaclty been a banner offseason for the Steelers this year has it?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:14 AM   #3
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee

I guess we are beginning to see why Holmes didn't go as high as the draftniks thought he would. Hasn't exaclty been a banner offseason for the Steelers this year has it?
:lol:

After all the talk I've read on another football site where a few talked about how the Steelers were a blueprint on how to draft, this year will be a tough pill to swallow....

Holmes keeps it up & this'll be his new uni....

Old 06-20-2006, 02:51 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Is it my imagination or is there an inverse relationship between the speed and "character" of wide receivers?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:04 AM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee

He grew up in Florida and played college ball at Ohio State. Gasoline and a match...gasoline and a match.

Anthony Smith (their 2nd pick) is from the Youngstown area. Don't worry Dave, I'll try to keep him away from Clarett so this whole draft doesn't go down the toilet for your Steelers. :lol:
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:30 AM   #6
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Holmes doesn't apologize for multiple arrests

LATROBE, Pa. (AP) - Pittsburgh Steelers rookie Santonio Holmes offered no apologies. No excuses, either.

Holmes, arrested twice since being the first wide receiver selected during the NFL draft in April, doesn't think the incidents have affected his status with the Steelers or their fans and declined Saturday to say he was sorry.

"I haven't gotten any negative feedback from any fan I have seen around the city since I've been here, which is about a month and a half," Holmes said after completing the team's annual camp-opening run test. "So I don't think I have anything to say to those guys. They know what I can do on the field, what type of person I am on and off the field."

Holmes faces an Aug. 15 trial in Columbus, Ohio, for domestic violence, an incident that involves the mother of one of his three children. He also pleaded innocent to disorderly conduct charges filed in Miami in May....

Holmes also hasn't endeared himself to at least one Steelers player, and it's an important one - Ben Roethlisberger, the man who will throw Holmes' passes. The quarterback said he tried to call Holmes several times during the summer, but Holmes never returned his calls.

Asked Saturday if the two ever talked, Roethlisberger said, "Yeah, when he showed up yesterday (Friday) we said 'Hi' to each other."

Holmes didn't seem to think there was a problem with the Super Bowl-winning quarterback, saying, "I didn't get any calls from him."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5828546

Looks like another knucklehead is gettin' ready for the ME Show. What a moron...
Old 07-31-2006, 02:27 AM   #7
Anthony

I'd still rather have Holmes on my team than Jason Avant.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:22 PM   #8
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Wow, there have been a lot of NFL players getting in trouble this offseason.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:09 PM   #9
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

I'm just shocked the Bengals didn't draft him.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:25 PM   #10
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190 Octane
I'm just shocked the Bengals didn't draft him.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

There's still the trade possibility.....

& Anthony, players like that can hit the bricks as far as I'm concerned. Being born with talent seems to make some think they don't have to follow any blueprint of reasonable behavior. Holmes may re-think this arrogance & make a better impression afterwards or just continue to be one of the new breed "look at me" in the T.O. mold. Besides, immaturity & arrogance aren't a crime, just not an admirable quality to most...

You can have 'em....
Old 07-31-2006, 08:55 PM   #11
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Thank you Tark. My sentiments exactly.

There was talk of Atl going after T.O. when the Eagles released him. I may have revolted if that had been the case.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:52 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike
There was talk of Atl going after T.O. when the Eagles released him. I may have revolted if that had been the case.
Nah, I doubt they seriously entertained that one, after all I don't know that Vick's ego could take it if he weren't getting the most attention from the media. :lol:
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:41 PM   #13
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Ugh. Don't remind me doublee. I've said it before and will probably say it again. I don't wish pain on anyone, but it wouldn't break my heart if Vick suffered a season ending injury and Schaub took over.

I am such a bad person.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:49 AM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike
Ugh. Don't remind me doublee. I've said it before and will probably say it again. I don't wish pain on anyone, but it wouldn't break my heart if Vick suffered a season ending injury and Schaub took over.

I am such a bad person.

But did Vick get tired in the NFC Championship Game?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:54 AM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Collin Cowherd talked about this on his show today. Holmes was wearing an Ohio State t-shirt with the wording "DA MAN" on the back during a recent workout.

Like I said when Holmes first started his nonsense: Florida high school and Ohio State as your college is a bad combo. Cowherd (who I normally don't agree with) blasted OSU as a place where this goes on constantly under Tressel's watch. He pointed out that Cooper was fired by then AD Andy Geiger for a "deteriorating climate" at the school (in terms of discipline) yet Tressel feels no heat because unlike Cooper, Jimmy T. beats Michigan. I couldn't agree more. The Ohio State program has been in the toilet since the late 80s as far as leadership is concerned. I'm really sick of it.

Anyway, some of the callers from Ohio were calling in and trying to defend Tressel (who I've blasted since day one having knowledge of his ways). One guy said you don't know the character of these guys til they get to you. LOL...yea right. And it does end up biting you in the ass in the end. Prescott Burgess went to Michigan intead of Ohio State because Clarett "got involved" with his girlfriend. Then Mario Manningham (the kid who caught the GW pass in the Michigan-PSU game) goes to Michigan too because Burgess convinces him to join him and dumps on OSU. All three were teammates here in Youngstown. I mean...Maurice Clarett's character/ discipline problems cost PSU a shot at the national championship if you want to connect the dots that far down the line...LOL. Plus it would be nice to have both Burgess and Manningham down in Columbus this fall.

Sorry to semi-hijack this thread going down to the university level on the NFL board, but the moral of the story is that these guys have been getting away with it all their lives and no one will say anything as long as whoever is in place produces: coaches, ADs, players, fans, and of course the fat cats with $.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote