Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 03-06-2004, 07:41 AM   #1
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough
Default Top Rookies in 2004?

I think I posted a topic similar to this last year. Same deal. Who will be the top rookies this season?

Some prospects I have my eye on are Chase Utley of the Phillies. Great natural hitter that I've been watching in the minors for 2 years. His only problem is that his fielding is suspect and he still hasn't found a comfortable spot yet. At AAA Scranton/W-B in 2002 they had him at 3rd. Last season after David Bell was signed he played the season at 2nd at SWB. He put up league leading numbers both seasons but his fielding wows could land him back in Scranton for at least part of this season.

Khalil Green of San Diego could be a breakout rookie. He has Rich Aurillia-like power numbers for a shortstop and the Padres think he has the makeup to be a long term part of their team. With no one else really vying for that spot in the SD line up, Green is likely to start this season at SS.

As for pitchers, Cole Hamels could have a monster rookie season if Philly needs to bring him up early. Yesterday against the Yankees he struck out the side (Jeter, Rodriguez and Clark) and had nasty stuff. Larry Bowa is really excited about him and he's likely option #1 for them if someone in the rotation goes down long term. He's scheduled to start the season at AA Reading.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:06 PM   #2
edgar109
U-C-O-N-N

edgar109 is on a distinguished road

With the Padres signing Rey Ordonez, I have doubts that Greene will be playing in the Majors before Memorial Day. Phillies pitching depth in the Minors is amazing, and for that reason I don't think they will be rushing any one starter.
edgar109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:47 AM   #3
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by edgar109
With the Padres signing Rey Ordonez, I have doubts that Greene will be playing in the Majors before Memorial Day. Phillies pitching depth in the Minors is amazing, and for that reason I don't think they will be rushing any one starter.
Hamels has great stuff. I realize Philly has tremendous depth since I'm plugged into their farm system almost as much as I am the Yankees. Ryan Madson, Gavin Floyd, Eric Junge, Keith Bucktrot, etc. Hamels could be plugged into their rotation going into the season and easily win ROY if the Phillies are as good as everyone believes. I'm still skeptical of them since I thought they'd be great last year and were a severe dissapointment down the stretch jockying with Florida for the wild card.

Rey Ordonez is only on a minor league contract. He has never been anything close to a great hitter. If Green can show the Pads solid defense and a good bat there's no reason for him not to be starting. He's the future, Ordonez isn't. Between them, Ordonez is the more likely candidate to spend the season at AAA be it wil San Diego or somewhere else.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:59 PM   #4
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Bama posted a similar topic and I'll copy and paste my response from that thread here:
"1. Kaz Matsui -- SS -- Mets. Has hit 30+ Hrs in each of the past 2 seasons in Japan.
2. Joe Mauer -- C -- Twins. His growth in the minors allowed the Twins to trade AJ Pierzynski for pitching help.
3. Bobby Crosby -- SS -- A's. Look for him to be solid with both the bat and glove.
4. Adam LaRoche -- 1B -- Braves. Great defense and newly developed power. Should be a fixture for the Braves for quite some time.
5. Edwin Jackson -- RHP -- Dodgers. 98 MPH fastball, good control. Excellent pitchers park to work in.
6. Jason Bay -- OF -- Pirates. He has been traded 3 times the past 2 seasons, but has not seemed to let it bother him. Off season shoulder surgery has not slowed him down. Should be the Pirates LF this season.
7. Khalil Greene -- SS -- Padres. Not spectacular, but gets the most out of his abilities. Should be solid (or better) for the Padres.
8. Ryan Wagner -- RHP -- Reds. One of the best sliders in baseball already. Should fit right in in Cincinnati.
9. Jesse Crain -- RHP -- Twins. Great stuff. Could be the Twins closer before the season is over.
10. Freddy Sanchez -- 2B/SS -- Pirates. Hits for average (over .300 in the past 6 minor league stops), and has developed some pop. Should play somewhere for the Pirates.
11. Chad Cordero -- RHP -- Expos. Could be the Expos closer soon. 1st round draft pick in last years draft.
12. Matt Riley -- LHP -- Orioles. This will not be his debut season. He has come back from arm problems and is ready to contribute at the major league level.
13. Jason Lane -- OF -- Astros. Has over 2000 minor league ABs. With Richard Hidalgo getting older, he has been promised 300+ major league ABs this season.
14. Justin Morneau -- 1B -- Twins. Ready to play for Team Canada in the Olympics. The only problem is that the Twins might need him to DH or play 1B for them. Has great power. Hit the longest homers in the history of Kauffman Stadium in KC and in Miller Park in Milwaukee last season. Also, hes a good kid that I've had a chance to get to know a bit during his stop in the Quad Cities.
15. Jeremy Reed -- OF -- White Sox. The Sox want him to get more time in the Minors, but their CF problem might cause them to re-think that desire.
16. Grant Balfour -- RHP -- Twins. Should he be a starter or set-up guy? Thats the only real question about Balfour. The Twins are sold on his stuff.
17. David DeJesus -- OF -- Royals. Should be in the mix for the Royals LF job. Once he makes it to the bigs, he'll be a fan-favorite with his all out style.
18. Doug Waechter -- RHP -- Devil Rays. Could be the best pitcher the Devil Rays have ever produced in their farm system.
19. Chin-Hui Tsao -- RHP -- Rockies. Very much like Edwin Jackson, but playing in Coors Field won't help his psyche.
20. Alexis Rios -- OF -- Blue Jays. Has some work to do to make the Blue Jays roster. If he won't be a starter in Toronto, he'd be better off going down to AAA for a while. He needs to play everyday."
The numeric rankings are from Baseball America. The editorial comments are mine.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:24 PM   #5
BaseballFan1
Grizzled Veteran

BaseballFan1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Khalil Green of San Diego could be a breakout rookie.
Agreed. He is a good prospect and I highly doubt Ordonez is even going to make the Pads.

I saw Alexis Rios play one game in AA (New Haven) last year and he did look pretty good. Too bad Toronto moved.

Quote:
Freddy Sanchez -- 2B/SS
I thought Sanchez is a pretty good prospect. I think the conflicting problem might be Bobby Hill but Sanchez should make the team.

Quote:
Joe Mauer -- C
Lets see if the Twins actually make Mauer the starting Catcher.

Quote:
Bobby Crosby -- SS
Should have the starting job by the end of Spring Training.

Quote:
Matt Riley -- LHP
Not the same pitcher after shoulder surgery. Long shot to be a good pitcher.

Quote:
Jason Lane -- OF
Houston may have a big problem on their hands. Lane needs AB's in the ML's. I think he might be better off traded to a team with a need of an outfielder.

"You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
-Christy Mathewson

Last edited by BaseballFan1; 03-18-2004 at 01:05 PM.
BaseballFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 08:26 PM   #6
cubfan13
Rated SC's #1 Prospect

cubfan13 is on a distinguished road

Joe Mauer on DL but still ROY
cubfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 11:28 PM   #7
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Unless Joe Mauer really comes back quick and hits .330/15/80 or so, he really doesn't have a chance to win the ROY this season. He might not even catch regularly, especially if Henry Blanco continues to hit well.
I like Bobby Crosby to win the AL ROY this season, but who knows?

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 04:53 AM   #8
Diceman
X-Ecutioner Dice

Diceman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by catman
Unless Joe Mauer really comes back quick and hits .330/15/80 or so, he really doesn't have a chance to win the ROY this season. He might not even catch regularly, especially if Henry Blanco continues to hit well.
I like Bobby Crosby to win the AL ROY this season, but who knows?
Bobby Crosby was my pick, as well.

But, [email protected] Henry Blanco to continue to hit well. Joe Mauer will catch everyday when he comes back and he's gonna hit 320 with 50 RBI's on the season and maybe 5 HR's. he's not a big power guy.
Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 09:39 AM   #9
cubfan13
Rated SC's #1 Prospect

lets put it this way, it's between the two of them.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:40 AM   #10
cubfan13
Rated SC's #1 Prospect

but look out for Jason Bay when he comes off the DL. He will be a workhorse in Pitts by the end of the season.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:14 PM   #11
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Kaz Matsui. Because he hit his first pitch ever in the MLB a homerun. (off of the Braves )

And Laroche cuz you know who he plays for.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 03:49 PM   #12
Alex
#1 Student Section

Matsui hasn't done much since Opening Day. He's going to need to come on strong just like Hideki did last season. After the Cincinnati series last June is when Hideki began playing at a high level.

Chase Utley is once again ripping up AAA ball. He has a .253 BA, 4 HR and 16 RBI. The batting average leaves a little to be desired but the IL is a pitcher's league. If he had played in the PCL last year he would've easily had 30 HR. If an injury occurs to David Bell or Placido Polanco this guy could come up an put up big numbers for the Phillies, ala Miguel Cabrera.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:14 AM   #13
Alex
#1 Student Section

Placido Polanco was placed on the 15-Day DL last night and Chase Utley was called up to replace him. This is Utley's chance to prove himself to the Phillies that he can be an everyday major leaguer. If he fails I wouldn't be surprised if they started taking offers for him.