Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 07-02-2004, 06:00 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Mavs lose Nash to Suns; Carter requests trade

With his new six-year deal worth $65 million, the signing of Steve Nash means Kobe won't be going to Phoenix now. Even though the Mavs drafted a PG in the draft, who are they going to replace Nash with? I am not impressed with them letting Nash get away when they have more expendable players like Walker, Jamison, etc.

Meanwhile, FOX Sports is reporting Vince Carter doesn't like the direction of the Raptors and wants out: http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2555356 -- thoughts?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 09:03 PM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Given Carter's love for Toronto I find this one hard to believe but I guess time will tell...
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 07:45 AM   #3
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

looks like the Mavs must be really commited on Devin Harris as their point guard because of everyone on the Mavs, Nash was the hardest worker and while everyone else would just shoot jump shots and play lazy D, Nash was the one doing everything, getting steals, playing defense, driving inside, hitting outside shots. What a dumb move. Didn't seem like Marc cuban is not aware. I thought about now, Cuban would have another contraversial comment about this. Whatever. Steve Nash is with a better situation. Nash, Amare, Marion, and Johnson would look really good together. All they need is a decent big man and some more depth off the bench and the Suns are contenders for a long time.
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 06:06 PM   #4
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

I think it's great for the Suns to get a nice quality point guard in Nash. Nash will have lots of fun throwing up alley-oop passed to Stoudamire and Marion.
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 09:12 PM   #5
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Suddenly Phoenix is looking like serious contenders next year. And if you believe David Aldrich, Phoenix is the only team besides the Lakers that has a real shot at Kobe. That team would be pretty tough to stop.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:17 AM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

The only way the Suns could acquire Kobe at this point Mike, would be to do a sign and trade with the Lakers, which would mean giving up atleast two of their current big 3 IMO.

The Suns bench is still VERY weak and I don't see them improving greatly over the other western teams this offseason thus far. I'd still put the Wolves, Spurs, Grizzlies ( could go all the way IMO), and Rockets as the top 4 front runners out west next year. But we've got along way to go.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:21 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Why did the Mavs give up Nash? Thanks to the wonders of the Internet, you can hear it from the horse's mouth, Mark Cuban: http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/6721616637326928
Old 07-10-2004, 08:02 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The Suns have no shot at Kobe now, once they sign Nash they will only have a couple million left under the cap and the only way they could possibly get him is in a sign-and-trade and the Lakers have already said they will not do that. Besides, I think Nash is a better fit for the Suns anyway.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 11:47 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Sounds like your boy Vince really loves the City of Toronto, Lee: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...C-DT9705204233

Old 07-20-2004, 01:00 AM   #10
edgar109
U-C-O-N-N

edgar109 is on a distinguished road

I remeber bieng in Toronto during the summer of 2001 when Vince resigned and the love affair was at its apex. I geuss injuries have soured the fans on him and visa-versa. I have heard rumors about him going to Charlotte, NY, and Atlanta, but who knows where he will end up.
edgar109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 01:36 AM   #11
Marc
Administrator

I'm hearing the Hornets are very interested, but I'm not sure what they could offer. They need an athletic scorer like him.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:12 AM   #12
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Sounds like your boy Vince really loves the City of Toronto, Lee: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...C-DT9705204233

Any "rumors" that comes from any Toronto newspaper, the Globe, the Star, the Post.... you can't take as truth. And as I said, I would not believe it and I didn't have a reason to. Carter said yesterday he didn't say anything about going to New York, Toronto, or anywhere. I really think there is no worse city for absurd rumors in sports than Toronto. I like Toronto, the city, the skyline, the restaurants, the nightlife... but their sports reporters will do anything to give themselves a name.

"I haven't said a word," said Carter, who stands to earn about $12-million (U.S.) next season.

"I'm not going to say a word. I'm not going to say nothing. I'm just going to worry about this camp right now."

"In due time, I'm definitely going to fill everybody in when it's time, Carter said."

Carter said he's not about to get drawn into any "bashing" against his employer. He agreed it was a bit out of character for other people, even unidentified ones, to be seen talking on his behalf.

"Especially when they're not telling the truth," he said. "I'll just leave it at that. Other than that, I don't have anything to say right now. But I promise there will be a time, don't worry."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...NStory/Sports/
Old 07-20-2004, 10:40 AM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The only way the Hornets could possibly get VC is if they can con the Raptors into taking Mashburn off their hands. Baron Davis is the only other guy comparable and, to me, would be a bone-headed move by New Orleans if they gave up Baron for Carter.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:32 AM   #14
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Marc...Vince has always loved the city of Toronto. Always. He is currently running a youth camp here and has his annual charity game running in August which sells out every year. He re-signed with the Raptors for a number of reasons...loving Toronto was a big one.

If Vince does have an issue it's with the Toronto Raptors orginization and management. Vince pushed for bringing in Dr. J as GM (so did I) but they didn't bring him in, instead going with Rob Babcock. They said it wasn't a financial issue...which was not true, they just didn't want to pay Dr. J so they signed Babcock cheaper. That's MLSE for you.

It also hurts when Raptors president Richard Peddie said he'd consult Vince about the vacant GM and coaching spots before they hire anybody...when both were hired he later came out and said he forgot to consult with Carter, something he promised him.

I'm not going to say anything about this either until Vince HIMSELF comes out and says he wants out. The media has caught up with him twice now, he hasen't said much but he also said those reports were false, as Lee posted.

I wouldn't trade Vince at all unless I'd be getting another franchise player in return. Baron Davis is an outstanding player and guard but he's not worth a healthy Vince.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 08:46 AM   #15
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

As I originally thought, these were just absurd rumors. Raptors GM says him and the organization and Vince are fine after meetings yesterday. Hopefully Carter says something in public today at his Charity All-Star Game to silence these silly rumors.

Who believed these? Not I!