Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 12-15-2005, 11:40 PM   #1
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road
Default Happiness In Lexington

The NCAA has reversed its decision on Randolph Morris, and he will be able to play the entire conference season staring on January 10 against Vandy.

Last edited by Marc; 12-16-2005 at 04:35 PM. Reason: No advertising
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:23 AM   #2
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

If they can't guard 3s or run an actual offense, this won't save their season. But man, it's a huge step for Big Blue-- none of the other guys can play inside (as IU knew)
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:25 PM   #3
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Huge boost for UK. Probably still a 6-seed when it's all said and done, though.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:40 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I've been down on Kentucky for good reason, but this fixes a lot more than just their post-game. It balances their entire offense and opens up shooters and penetrators. Tubby's entire offense is to kick it into the post and back out until there is a good shot, and there was no one at all who was capable before. I think you'll see improved play by a lot of players because of his presence.

So Billy: this could "fix" the offense. Also, they are not going to shoot 2-for-27 from threes every game. The IU game was a fluke, and could be a turning point. I imagine this decision is going to pump the team up, and it could propel them past Louisville.

#99: A six-seed is very low for the program. I think they will get back on track with Morris and be at least a three-seed. Guys like Crawford and Rondo are going to get on track. Remember that there aren't a lot of experienced guys. Sparks is a senior, but he's only in his second year here, as are Rondo, Crawford, and Bradley. Guys are still finding their roles.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #5
Hall of Famer

Exactly. Inexperienced guys are still finding their roles. On top of that, they'll have to adjust their chemistry once again when Morris is back in the lineup. There is no on/off switch for that, it takes time. However, by virtue of the SEC being so down this year (or at least looking that way), UK could benefit in the seedings by finishing 2nd or 3rd in the conference. A six-seed may be low, but that's where they are at the moment.

Things could get messy against L'ville tomorrow.
Sports Again?!
Old 12-16-2005, 08:43 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Tomorrow's game will be crucial. If they play the same way, I would tend to agree with you. However, my gut tells me they were humiliated and are going to play with fire and passion tomorrow. Could be a shocker. If they do turn it around, I think they are capable of winning the SEC again. I mean, who's going to beat them, Florida? The season is young, so they will have time to adjust. But if they get blown-out tomorrow, I will agree with you.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:02 PM   #7
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Marc, I've followed the Gators this year as I do every year and the have the talent and chemistry to win the SEC. I just don't see UK being the problem they have been for the Gators in the past.

BTW, why did it take Tubby so long to "find" the mysterious fax in the first place. I would think if I had a document the NCAA was looking for on behalf of one of my players I would make an effort to find it ASAP.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:32 PM   #8
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if Kentucky can win tomorrow, but if they are to have any chance, Rekalin Sims has got to be playing his natural role at the 3 and/or 4 spot. Consequently, that means that Alleyne, Obrzut or Carter has got to be at least somewhat effective. It will be closer than the IU game, however.

About Florida, I have to agree with themush in that this UF team is unlike really any other Donovan Florida team in that everything is so stable. I didn't even think that they would be an NCAA team after all that they lost Lee, Roberson and Walsh. However, they have proven me wrong in a huge way, even though I see Kentucky re-emerging as the favorite in the East.

Meanwhile, I don't think that the SEC will be extremely weak like everyone thought before the season. One team from the East (who UK and UF will play twice) that is a great surprise is Vandy. They have two quality wins already over Georgetown and Oregon, and they are very deep as seven guys average over 20 minutes. The Commodores will beat one of UK or UF in conference play.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:44 PM   #9
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Kentucky is putting it on Louisville. I didn't see this one coming but, then again Louisville hasn't played on the road yet and they have played cupcakes.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:44 PM   #10
Hall of Famer

Wow... UK is up 21 right now in the 2nd half.
Sports Again?!
Old 12-18-2005, 01:56 AM   #11
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

Everyone should have seen this coming. I heard the guy, Seth something at halftime say that Memphis was overrated at number 5 and I laughed after the shock wore off because he was singing the praises of Louisville prior to the game. The Cardinals were the second most overrated team in the land behind Texas. The Cards played pastries early and struggled with a couple of them. Having seen this it stood to reason that they would lose as soon as a decent team stood in front of them and lo and behold here you have it.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:03 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

His name is Seth Davis and he has always impressed me as something of a nimrod. If I remember correctly he pretty much bagged on Duke leading up to the Texas game. It is funny that he was all over Pitino's jock when the consensus in other circles seems to be that Louisville may be overrated and that the only reason they got to where they were is because they have played one of the softest schedules in the country.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:30 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

The final score wasn't even as close as it was. UK showed a lot of character and they have life in them. Rajon Rondo is one of the top five guards in America when he wants to be. Watch out for him, he had 25 points.

Also, watchout for Tennessee in the East as they put a whooping to Texas from the score I saw during the game. I know Texas is overrated, but still.

Bottom line, rankings and records are meaningless in December. With Morris coming back and this win, I think this has turned from a disaster season to a temporary hiccup. They will be right in the mix come March.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:35 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

After watching that game I cannot help but wonder if Rondo's game is more suited to the two guard than being a PG.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:05 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

No, he also had seven assists. He is a pure PG. He isn't a pure shooter, although he can penetrate. He's staying at PG.