Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 08-23-2004, 09:44 PM   #1
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about
Default Game of the week preview. USC vs. Va Tech

I figure we could start one of these up each week to preview the game(s) of the week. Since there's only one game this week, i guess that's the one we'll do. lol.

I haven't seen one person yet who has given Va Tech any kind of chance in this game, but i think 2 things will come into play in this game that will even this game out, and give Va Tech a VERY slim chance to pull out a win.

Let's start w/the obvious. USC's returning O-line consists of 4 new faces. As UGA proved last year, that can be a very tough obstacle to overcome. If the Va Tech D can put some pressure on Leinart, and force him into some bad passes, Va Tech can hang close. If not, this game will get ugly fast.

Now for my wildcard. Bryan Randall. If he can put together a few good passes, it will be for some big yardage. Randall threw for 15 TDs and 10 picks last seaon. I think he could be capable of lighting this USC D up for some big yards.

I know you guys just looked at the scren like Im crazy. Yes, I know USC had the best Run D in the nation last year, and their total D #s were outstanding. Now, let's look at the passing D. 276 YPG in 2004. Doesn't sound too bad. Except for the fact it was 110th in the nation. Randall could put on a show. Then again, he could crash and burn.

My prediction: As i stated earlier, I haven't sen one analyst that has given the Hokies a chance, even though the game is in Maryland and VT fans will probably pack the stadium. I don't think this will be a Hokie win, but it won't be a USC blowout either.

Final score: USC 31, Virginia Tech 27
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:30 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Here is the thing about Randall though he threw just one TD and six picks against the bowl teams he played last season and he was nonexistent in the win against Miami. He has yet to have a big game against a quality opponent in his career. Plus they have to find a replacement for Kevin Jones and the only established reciever they had on last year's team. Not to mention the loss of their biggest playmaker on defense and special teams DeAngelo Hall. Hall was a huge factor in the return game for the Hokies last year. Seeing as the Trojans have most their skill players back on offense they should not have too many problems running up points on the Hokies. Given that the Hokies have a lot of holes to fill this could get ugly.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:00 AM   #3
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

as a tech fan i know are d line is great with adibi and shoud cause the weak o-line trouble. are secondary is where we will get lit up. last year it was terrible and this year all new faces. but... if Mike Williams doesn't play and they lost the #2 reciver to graduation it could be not that bad. I don't think that rb from usc will do all that great like he is supposed to. I just think are secondary is so bad it will cost us the game. are o-line is decent but i know cedric Humes can run the ball. the only problem is he broke his leg or something and probaly won't be 100% Byran Randall is very capable, in their last scrimmage he was on fire threw for 154 yards and like 8 for 11 or something. His problem is that he has no one to throw to. Mike Imoh is in trouble with vick and the other guy (Brandon) I watched him last year, he just plain out sucks. Cedric Humes will have to prove his worthyness for us to have a chance. I see us getting beat b/c of terrible players in the positons of catching and swatting. aslo i belive this game won't be as high scoring as most people think

praise god if we somehow win though

USC 24
VT 13
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:18 PM   #4
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

One other thing I want to mention here. I keep hearing about this great group of RBs, supposedly the best group in the nation.

I wouldn't worry too much about the USC running game. They ranked 57th in the nation last year, averaging just under 156 YPG.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:29 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

The argument to that, Mike, would be this:
If you had Mike Williams and Keary Colbert to throw to, and someone as accurate and intelligent as Matt Leinart throwing the ball, would you ever run?

The Trojans will run a lot this year, especially early, till they're sure they trust their receivers.

Meanwhile, I think VT shows up, makes some hay in the first half, and shrinks in the glow of having to play a team in the upper echelon of college football, because they know in the backs of their puny little minds that they don't belong on the same field.

And, yes. gconn's got me hating VT more than usual today.

Dave
Old 08-24-2004, 07:35 PM   #6
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Im not really a fan of either team Dave. LOL. And i know you have a soft spot for the CO National Champs. (had to sneak that in. lol)

The same can be said for USC's great run defense. Yes they were 1st in the nation in Run D. But what team in the PAC runs the ball? The PAC is all about airing it out.

Va Tech is getting this game at a good time, imo. They never do their choke until late in the year. But like i said earlier, i still think they lose this game, but it will be closer than everyone thinks.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:49 PM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

You know, Mike, last year, Southern Cal crossed the country to play in one of the nation's toughest, ornriest stadiums in Jordan-Hare to open their season. Auburn was flying high. TSN had picked them as the top team in the land. No way Southern Cal had a chance without Carson Palmer. Auburn had the nation's top one-two punch with Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown. The Tigers were set to roll.

Final Score: Southern Cal 23 Auburn 0.

And the Tigers never recovered all season long.

Indeed, the Tigers had a pathetic 43 rushing yards in the game. The Trojans stopped whatever rushing attack thrown at them (exception to my favorite name in college football a year ago, Adimnobe Echimandu).

I think something very similar could happen to my unbeloved cHokies.

Dave

Last edited by MountaineerDave; 08-24-2004 at 07:52 PM.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:56 PM   #8
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Well.... Then..... Ah dammit Dave, just shoot down my arguments. Ya bastard! LOL. J/K I knew when i locked horns w/you, I had no chance.

But the Auburn game, it was a fluke. Really! (Although i remember ripping Tigereyes pretty heavy after that one.)
Old 08-24-2004, 08:00 PM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I think we all gave Tigereyes a load of bleep that night...

Dave
Old 08-24-2004, 08:05 PM   #10
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
I think we all gave Tigereyes a load of bleep that night...

Dave
I seem to remember the month and a half before that game, we tried to convince him they were way overrated by TSN, as well as everyone else.

These poor deluded children. (no offense Bix. I know you are deluded. Just dont know about the poor part. )
Old 08-24-2004, 08:32 PM   #11
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

Are we doing the Pick 'Em contest again this year?
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 09:40 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by PurpleReign009
Are we doing the Pick 'Em contest again this year?
Yes. I nominate Dave to post the picks this year. Dave, if you could, use the same format last year (copy the old pick 'em text and replace the old games with new ones). Make sure to make the stready sticky, etc. I'm not sure if Nate is going to be able to do the scoring, so that's another question. I know that I will be too busy.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:45 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Marc,

I was going to email you this weekend re: this very topic. I accept your nomination, and volunteer to score, unless Kev would like to do so. Assuming he still has a brain upon returning from Amsterdam, Den of Sin.

Dave
Old 08-26-2004, 04:03 PM   #14
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Quote:
Marc,

I was going to email you this weekend re: this very topic. I accept your nomination, and volunteer to score, unless Kev would like to do so. Assuming he still has a brain upon returning from Amsterdam, Den of Sin.

Dave
I can see it now. Dave fixing the results so i dont beat him too badly...
Old 08-26-2004, 09:26 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Marc,

Dave
I e-mailed Nate to give him the chance to continue to do it because it's his job to lose, but you will more than likely be able to do it. If you have any questions, e-mail me. I guess it would be best to get the pick 'em thread up mid-next week as it's too late this week.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote