Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-31-2005, 12:36 AM   #1
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about
Default LSU/Miami

Anyone notice the "altercation" in the tunnel as the teams left the field and just before ESPN cut away to SC?
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:06 AM   #2
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Two fake kicks to try and extend drives up by THAT margin late might have had something to do with it. Seriously, what is LSU thinking?
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:47 PM   #3
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

LSU had it going on. Very impressed with QB.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:28 PM   #4
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Miami fired a bunch of coaches due to lack of effort in this game. The players seemed to be satisfied with "mailing it in". Not normal for a school with the tradition Miami has. I guess the coaches that are brought in are going to have to instill some "professionalism" into this program?

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman
Miami fired a bunch of coaches due to lack of effort in this game. The players seemed to be satisfied with "mailing it in". Not normal for a school with the tradition Miami has. I guess the coaches that are brought in are going to have to instill some "professionalism" into this program?
Isn't it funny that Coker fired his assistant coaches, but no one fired HIM?! I guess Coker's boss said, either you get rid of them, or it will be you out on your keister!:lol:
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:07 PM   #6
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Miami is insane for letting both Art Kehoe and Don Soldinger go. Kehoe is if not the best one of the best OL coaches in the country look at the monsters they've had in the past 10 years.

Soldinger is THE recruiting staple for UM in South Florida. He single handly pulled a Gainesville RB by the name of Clinton Portis away from the Gators and covinced him to attend UM. That's one example the list goes on and on. UM recruiting is done this year.

Now it's Booby's turn to do the same over at the womens college up there in Tallahassee.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

This game proved there is a God. And that God loves me.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:38 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

No, 78, this game proved that Coker, as I've mentioned over the last several years--since before the OSU title game--is an okay coach, but by no means great and potentially not even good.

Miami has been sliding for some time, and I forget who pointed it out (Wilbon, mebbe), but when was the last time that none of the big three FL schools finished in the top ten? It's been a while.

I share 78's joy on the topic of the collapse of FL football.
I expected more from the Gators this year, though, I must admit.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:50 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

The Florida Axis of Evil finished...

2005...26-11
2004...25-11
2003...29-10
2002...26-15
2001...30-6
2000...32-6
1999...30-6

You gotta LOVE the trend.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:58 PM   #10
suedon1970
Sports Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
The Florida Axis of Evil finished...

2005...26-11
2004...25-11
2003...29-10
2002...26-15
2001...30-6
2000...32-6
1999...30-6

You gotta LOVE the trend.
Wipe the silly grin off your face. Not going to last long, buckeye. Florida has THE best recruting class this coming season. FSU was competitive last night (by a lousy missed extra point) Weatherford looks like he has a bright future. Leak hopefully will be better in Meyer's O next year, then it's Tebow's turn.......

As for Miami, who really cares?
Old 01-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Most of these games were competitive. Look at the Big Ten...

-UCLA 50 NW 38
-Neb over UM on controversy
-Iowa battled back and shoulda had a shot against Florida late (that doesn't excuse Ferentz not having his kids ready to play)
-Minny threw a late INT to go down against Virginia...damn Cupito.
-Ohio State struggled against the ND short passing game and it took a Pittman run late (with a fullback blocking no less...note to Jimmy T....fullbacks help sometimes...use 'em) to get the deal done.
-PSU squeaked by FSU.

But the one thing I love is that Wisconsin DOMINATED Auburn. Total yards = a joke. The battle up front = joke. Auburn was giving 9.5 on my poll too. So-called experts proclaiming Auburn is the team to beat next year. Could be true, but the Badgers were the team to beat two days ago!

And I still "win" if Meyer does well at Florida suedon. He's an Ohio boy (Ashtabula...hour north of me). In fact, we scrimmaged his squad my sophmore year. We both played D though. I didn't get a chance to pop him for going over to the "evil empire" in his later life...LOL. Come to think of it, you guys have been stealing Ohio boys a bunch recently. Zook was a Buckeye too. See, you need our help.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:39 PM   #12
suedon1970
Sports Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
And I still "win" if Meyer does well at Florida suedon. He's an Ohio boy (Ashtabula...hour north of me). In fact, we scrimmaged his squad my sophmore year. We both played D though. I didn't get a chance to pop him for going over to the "evil empire" in his later life...LOL. Come to think of it, you guys have been stealing Ohio boys a bunch recently. Zook was a Buckeye too. See, you need our help.
Didn't know that about Meyer & Zook (although Zook wasn't great at UF, the players loved him) I will never forget the image of the UF players carrying him off the field when they beat FSU in Tallanasty last year, after he was fired a couple of games before. I still get a lump in my throat just thinking about it.

Hey Buckeye, BIG props to your guys for spanking the Irish the other night. Troy Smith & Co are dangerous. Is he coming back? If so, I really think they will be contenders for the national championship.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:56 PM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Smith said he's coming back. Teddy G. too. We are losing Holmes. Lotta talk about us going all the way next year. I don't see it. We lose 7 of 11 on D. Looking at a 10-2 season if you ask me, unless we avoid "Florida ball" (no offense of course) and actually run Pittman 30 times a game and get some hog mollies on our lines. We're at Texas and Iowa...our two big road games. Have UM at home. Gotta play BGSU and N. Ill in Columbus (two of the better MAC schools). Also play NW in Evanston a week before Michigan...could be a trap, although Basanez is gone.

Troy Smith is already talking about a "more balanced plan" of offense and defense to win games. Sounds scary to me. Balls in the air instead of in someone's gut makes me uneasy despite us opening it up the last few years.

Yeah, Meyer was on Ohio State's staff in the 80s under Earl Bruce (so was Jimmy T.) I met him once. Nothing big...shook hands at a coaching clinic and just stood there.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:57 AM   #14
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

I'm a little uneasy about the spread offense at Ohio State, but I suppose its the best system for the players we have. It is the best system to fully take advantage of Troy Smith's talents. And he has finally made me a full, unquestioned believer, and I think he is the Heisman frontrunner if Young leaves next year. He has been exceptional in big games.

For the long term, however, I'd like to see Ohio State return to physical, tough offense that doesn't have a negative 9 turnover ratio with a run-oriented offense.

I think National Title talk is very premature as well, but I think you have to go into next year thinking Ohio State has as good of a shot as anyone--except Texas if Vince Young returns. Then they are the unquestioned favorites in my opinion. Huge defensive losses. A.J. Hawk is a beast and he is not going to be replaced next year at all. Hopefully Ohio State can keep crankin em' out at linebacker and turn out another stellar defense. Time will tell. Texas vs. Ohio State should be the regular season game of the year AGAIN next year. Oh yeah, was that a great idea to schedule this or what?!?!
Old 01-05-2006, 12:08 PM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Yeah, we lose 7 of 11 on D and have to play Vince Young at home? Mike D. will be back at LB, but it doesn't look good... it's early though...how long til the Spring Game?