Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-23-2006, 09:19 PM   #16
ryan_day
Sports Enthusiast

ryan_day is on a distinguished road

I'm saying that Madden was not THE dominant coach of his time. An excellent coach, but a coach that couldn't get past better coaches with better teams.

And if it's not the Hall of Stats, why would Manning get in at the rate he's going?
ryan_day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:46 AM   #17
LA sports
I love LA!

LA sports is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_day View Post
I'm saying that Madden was not THE dominant coach of his time. An excellent coach, but a coach that couldn't get past better coaches with better teams.

And if it's not the Hall of Stats, why would Manning get in at the rate he's going?
I would say Manning is pretty famous and generally well liked. And it's not the Hall of Stats, it is literally called the Hall of Fame.

You also said yourself that Madden was an excellent coach. Can only one coach from certain time periods be put into the HoF? and only if he completly dominates? You also said there were coaches with better teams, that might answer part of your question as well.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:45 PM   #18
ryan_day
Sports Enthusiast

ryan_day is on a distinguished road

No, not only one coach is "allowed"...but Madden was for the most part bested by multiple coaches (no matter how good they were) in the decade he coached the Raiders.
ryan_day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:43 PM   #19
LA sports
I love LA!

LA sports is on a distinguished road

Then the year Madden and the Raiders won the Super Bowl the coaches of the teams the Raiders beat to get there should not be in the HoF, right?
Old 08-24-2006, 05:58 PM   #20
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

78 & Tark:
My distinction between the Titles won by Halas & Brown and Super Bowls was not meant to be discriminatory, or to eliminate them from the discussion. I just wanted to get it out there before anyone claimed that they hadn't won Super Bowls, which they clearly didn't.
I'd apologize for your confusion, but I don't feel like it. I'm not a historian (that's Brad O's position), but I know stuff. Like how some people like to ignore titles prior to the SB era.

Which brings me to coaches in the HOF who never won:
Allen finished his career as a non-title holder with a .690 win percentage, over a similar period of time as Madden, btw: 12 years.
Levy finished his career as a non-title holder with a .561 win percentage over 17 years. His period as a winning coach was a ten year stretch that came after seven years of one-winning season coaching. (A nine year period during which there was a four year absence from head coaching.)
Madden, in ten years, finished with a .759 win percentage. He didn't apparently need a warm-up period, winning immediately, and while he certainly didn't retire on top, who does?

If Madden shouldn't be in, neither should Allen nor Levy. Ryan_day, do you agree with this suggestion?

Last edited by MountaineerDave; 08-24-2006 at 06:01 PM. Reason: clarification
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:19 AM   #21
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave View Post
78 & Tark:
My distinction between the Titles won by Halas & Brown and Super Bowls was not meant to be discriminatory, or to eliminate them from the discussion. I just wanted to get it out there before anyone claimed that they hadn't won Super Bowls, which they clearly didn't.
I'd apologize for your confusion, but I don't feel like it. I'm not a historian (that's Brad O's position), but I know stuff. Like how some people like to ignore titles prior to the SB era.
Hmmm, talk about takin' a little good natured ribbin' & comin' back with a snide reply...

Let's get it down to basic facts. A cute name...Superbowl... & more teams does not make that the beginning of Champions. Championships & Superbowls are interchangable. Last Team Standing...Nothing more, nothing less...

As far as you could apologize....You weren't required to...

As far as our confusion??? We were never confused, we had the facts.

& as far as not being an historian...Then don't quote history if you're unsure....

There...now I've answered in a snide way....
Old 08-28-2006, 06:22 PM   #22
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post

& as far as not being an historian...Then don't quote history if you're unsure....

I wasn't unsure.
I made no factual errors.

Some folks don't look at titles won prior to Super Bowls... I made the distinction in that eventuality.

And I hate the Comic Sans font.
Hate it.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:40 PM   #23
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave View Post

And I hate the Comic Sans font.
Hate it.

& I'm makin' a whole lotta people "happy" with it over on the Bears board too.....