Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 07-31-2008, 07:38 PM   #76
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

$20m to stay retired??? Wow... just release this guy and let him take the Vikes all the way!!! ha ha
Old 08-02-2008, 07:06 AM   #77
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
The problem is the Packers are crazy if they think a team is going to give them a #1 pick for a guy who may actually decide to retire after next season. The Dolphins had to settle for less in return for Jason Taylor simply because he is talking about retiring after his current deal is up in 2 years.

Anything higher than a #4 (how's that for irony!) is very unlikely, and if the GB front office thinks they can get even a #2, much less a #1, they are totally delusional.

But if you really think about rookie contracts and the like, a team like the Chiefs might have a powerful incentive to trade for Favre - so they won't get the top pick in the '09 draft and have to shell out an unconscionable amount of money (and/or endure an extremely distracting holdout in training camp next summer) on whoever they'd pick (there being no guarantee that they'd be able to trade down).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:54 AM   #78
JGalligan
Sports Enthusiast

JGalligan is on a distinguished road
Exclamation BREAKING: Roger Goodell to reinstate Brett Favre today (Sunday)

Contrary to most reports that stated Commissioner Goodell would deliver his decision on Monday in regards to Favre's reinstatement, ESPN is reporting that the Commissioner will reinstate Favre today (Sunday) instead.

Just in time for Packers family day. Hmm.. the plot thickens!

UPDATE: ESPN is reporting it's already gone through. Brett Favre is no longer retired.

[ESPN.com]

Last edited by JGalligan; 08-03-2008 at 12:09 PM.
JGalligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #79
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

QB battle in GB. I feel so sorry for Rodgers. He said some comments saying he's a competitor and ready for the fight; some kind of testy comments, but I like them. The kid's not backing down and in a way, I hope we wins it and succeeds. Favre retired and can't keep teasing the team and making them go at his mercy. It's funny, ESPN is running a big graphic of "Favre vs. Rodgers." They're eating this up!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #80
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Boy that was some press conference given by McCarthy. Next time don't have one until you have something to say....

Looks like the Bucs are the lead runner at this point. God, I hope not.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #81
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Ted Thompson has set himself up to be the biggest loser out of all of this. There is only one way in which he can look successful after this whole ordeal and that's if Aaron Rodgers outperforms Favre and the Packers outperform the Bucs. If Favre goes to Tampa and has a successful season while Rodgers struggles in Green Bay, I wouldn't be surprised to see Thompson dismissed. He's completely thrown himself behind Rodgers and shafted the most popular player in franchise history. If Rodgers doesn't live up to enormous expectations (the Pack are going to have to at least win the division to not draw the ire of the majority of the fan base, which, IMO, is a lofty goal for this season), there's going to be a ridiculous uproar from the fans about how Favre should've come back.

My take on it is this- the Packers are Super Bowl contender with Favre. Rodgers has almost no discernable NFL experience. The ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl. If you can get there by making Rodgers wait another year you do it.

Personally, I have little faith in Aaron Rodgers. If not for that brief performance against Dallas last season, we'd have nothing to go on other than the fact that he got hurt more than Favre did his entire career in the span of his first 3 years in the league. Two years from now I don't see Rodgers as the starting QB of the Packers. Hell, wouldn't surprise me if he isn't the starting QB by the time the bye week rolls around. This season is a train wreck waiting to happen. If that comes to fruition, both Thompson and Rodgers, if not McCarthy as well, will be run out of town at the end of the season. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #82
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I don't know how much you can hold against Thompson in this case. Listening to Jay Glazer tell it this morning on Mike & Mike Favre changed his mind several times on what he wanted to do before the Packers finally decided they had had enough of him being wishy washy on retiring. As I have said before they couldn't sit around all spring waiting for Brett to make up his mind on what he wanted to do. Once he officially retired what were the Packers supposed to do sit on all of that extra cap space in the hopes that he might want to come back? I am sure the current Packers' players are getting pretty tired of the media circus Brett has created because of all of this.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:21 AM   #83
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Favre ends up in NY. Anyone think he'll give them a ligit shot at the playoffs?

I think NE runs away with the division again, but the Jets get to play Buffalo and Miami a couple times too so that is pretty good.

Predictions?
Old 08-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #84
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
Favre ends up in NY. Anyone think he'll give them a ligit shot at the playoffs?

I think NE runs away with the division again, but the Jets get to play Buffalo and Miami a couple times too so that is pretty good.

Predictions?
Jets over Packers in the Super Bowl
Old 08-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #85
themush
Banned

So what's the over/under on when this story dies?
Old 08-08-2008, 05:36 AM   #86
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

With all of his flip-flopping on his retirement, Favre should run for President!

He's no different from either McCain or Obama.

But can he beat Paris Hilton?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #87
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Sadly enough I think Paris might have a broader fanbase than Favre does.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #88
themush
Banned

Favre's No. 4 Still Will Be Retired by Packers... Sometime

The Green Bay Packers still will retire Brett Favre's jersey No. 4 at some point in the future, team officials said at a news conference today.

A jersey retirement ceremony had been scheduled for the Packers' opening game of the regular season, but that has been postponed indefinitely as Favre prepares to resume his playing career with the New York Jets.

Team president Mark Murphy, General Manager Ted Thompson and Coach Mike McCarthy spoke to reporters today in Green Bay. Their general message was that they regretted having to trade a player of Favre's stature but they were trying to do what was best for the franchise throughout the long ordeal.

Thompson said it is difficult to know he will be remembered as the general manager who traded Favre out of Green Bay, and when he received the paperwork for Wednesday night's deal with the Jets he almost wanted someone else to sign it.

McCarthy reiterated that he hadn't felt throughout the process that Favre actually would play this season.

Murphy said he remained supportive of the decisions made by Thompson and McCarthy. Murphy called it a "bittersweet time," saying it was a relief to have closure but tough to trade a player of Favre's stature.

Packers officials left open the possibility of Favre having some sort of relationship with the franchise after he retires, perhaps doing some sort of work during training camps.

-Washingtonpost.com
Old 08-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #89
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Funny that the Packers news sites are posting pictures of Favre in Jets training camp. The effect he's had on the Jets has been staggering. Sure, the pressure's on Rodgers big-time, but I think it's even more on Favre ... a bad team is placing huge expectations on an almost 39-year-old. I love you, Brett, but you should have stayed retired.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #90
themush
Banned

Agreed %100.