Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 09-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Beanie will play...

Tressel says Beanie will play

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said Tuesday that running back Chris "Beanie" Wells will play in Saturday's game against top-ranked USC after missing last week's game with an injury to his right big toe.

How much Wells plays largely depends on his progress in practices Tuesday and Wednesday. Wells will run and go through individual drills Tuesday before participating fully in Wednesday's workout.

"He probably ran better than I thought he might [on Monday]," Tressel said.

Wells has been testing the foot/toe on a stationary bike and in the pool. He's listed as the starter on this week's depth chart ahead of Dan "Boom" Herron, who received the bulk of the carries last week.

"He said to [offensive coordinator] Jim Bollman and I walking into the meeting room on Monday, he said, 'I'm ready to carry 45 times on Saturday,' " Tressel said. "He's not going to carry it 45 if he's not effective. He wants to play and he's going to do all he can do."

By Adam Rittenberg

ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3577340

Little gain here.

People believe that OSU was looking ahead to USC and that's why the poor performance against Solich's Bobcats.

Not really true.

Tressel's play-calling has reached critical mass and the offensive line still can't figure out how to open holes.

USC 38 Ohio State 9

with or without Beanie
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

My stomach is turning again so we must agree on something. Don't think Beanie is going to be the cure for OSU.

Question: Even if he's not going to play why would Tressel tip his hand to the Trojans?
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
My stomach is turning again so we must agree on something. Don't think Beanie is going to be the cure for OSU.

Question: Even if he's not going to play why would Tressel tip his hand to the Trojans?
I don't know what he's doing.

Beanie's a p-ussy anyway. It took a pep talk from Tress to get Wells fired up at the end of last season and quit complaining about his injuries.

Check the tapes (I know you have all OSU games recorded )...this f'n guy needs a hand to get up after ever play...whether he carried or not.

He played great against Michigan and I appreciate that but I want to see it week in - week out.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

A lot of air has certainly been let out of OSU's balloon these past 2 weeks. After pretty much being awarded the Big Ten out of the gate they suddenly have two very tough games with Penn State and Wisconsin that are now far from guaranteed W's (despite the fact that PSU can't score more than 10 points in Columbus). There are major questions about the offense, especially if Wells isn't 100%.

I thought this team looked primed for the MNC game but I'm now thinking this team is good for at least 2 losses (USC and Wisconsin or Penn State, with UW being more likely). USC 31, Ohio State 14
Old 09-10-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
A lot of air has certainly been let out of OSU's balloon these past 2 weeks. After pretty much being awarded the Big Ten out of the gate they suddenly have two very tough games with Penn State and Wisconsin that are now far from guaranteed W's (despite the fact that PSU can't score more than 10 points in Columbus). There are major questions about the offense, especially if Wells isn't 100%.

I thought this team looked primed for the MNC game but I'm now thinking this team is good for at least 2 losses (USC and Wisconsin or Penn State, with UW being more likely). USC 31, Ohio State 14
I don't know how much depth PSU has and how much more injury/bad behavior they can withstand but so far the team has responded well. That was one helluva game vs. OSU. Clark thru about one bad pass if memory serves. His accuracy is fantastic.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Beanie's a p-ussy anyway. It took a pep talk from Tress to get Wells fired up at the end of last season and quit complaining about his injuries.

Check the tapes (I know you have all OSU games recorded )...this f'n guy needs a hand to get up after ever play...whether he carried or not.
Looks like Beanie might be wussing out for Saturday's game:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3581744

Tressel says Beanie is now doubtful for Saturday's game. I guess Beanie does want to hurt that draft status with a bad performance against USC.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

After that performance against my alma matar Ohio University, I don't think OSU has any chance, with or without Mr. Wells.

Maybe they should go back to paying players, they did very well with that approach

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
themush
Banned

So the sweater vest is at it again huh? I think USC is smart enough to know to prepare just like they would if he was %100.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
After that performance against my alma matar Ohio University, I don't think OSU has any chance, with or without Mr. Wells.

Maybe they should go back to paying players, they did very well with that approach
Michigan fan...:lol:

Anyway, I think USC's win over UVA is highly overrated, but nonetheless I'm not confident going into this game. I just hope they play tough, physical spirited ball, even if they lose big. They have something to prove about their character and heart after the OU game.

Ultimately, I don't know that they have a chance without Chris Wells. They would...but our quarterback play is just completely incompetent. Todd Boeckman is probably the worst starting quarterback we have had in at least twenty years...he's honestly making me wish for Steve Bellisari, who at least could run and played hard even though he was an idiot. Costly turnovers and too much USC pressure on the lines probably call for a loss Saturday night.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard the Lionheart View Post
Michigan fan...:lol:
Yep, the Wolverines have won more games than any other football team in history and have an all-time winning percentage of .745, also an NCAA record. 11 national titles

*yawn*

Oh yeah, and they do it the RIGHT way :thumbup:

--------

Back on topic, OSU has no chance in this game. Seriously, did any of you watch the game against OU? That's the same team that will be playing on the road against a real team.

If OSU would only put a real team on their out-of-conference schedule every year.... :lol:

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #11
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yep, the Wolverines have won more games than any other football team in history and have an all-time winning percentage of .745, also an NCAA record. 11 national titles

*yawn*

Oh yeah, and they do it the RIGHT way :thumbup:
I didn't want to bring this up, because I don't believe in using "well look at your program!" to excuse the faults of mine, but seriously, look who you guys just hired as your head coach. I can smell him from all the way in Medina County...You fired your supposedly "classy" asshole coach, and replaced him with a used-car salesman. I'm sure major college program UM is perfectly "clean"...

And if I were you as a Michigan fan, I would avoid any talk of national titles establishing the "greatness" of a program. Since the modern era, you guys have two (one split with an almost indisputably better Nebraska team), for whatever that's worth. When you start throwing out the number 11, Army has about as much of a claim to be a great program.

Anyway, I wish scUM luck. I want them to become a respectable program again because the Big 10 is in the absolute tank. Ohio State fans have Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State and especially Michigan to thank for our embarrassing bowl losses the past two years, because those programs couldn't field decent teams and let us get away with mediocrity and make it look like excellence. Despite what Alex says, it's likely this class at Ohio State is going to make Big 10 history this year by winning 3 straight outright Big 10 titles. And this is a class that in Woody or Bo's day would be lucky to have won even 1 Big 10 title...

Quote:
Back on topic, OSU has no chance in this game. Seriously, did any of you watch the game against OU? That's the same team that will be playing on the road against a real team.

If OSU would only put a real team on their out-of-conference schedule every year.... :lol:
As to your first point, mostly agreed as I stated in my first post in this thread. I never argued we would win. But I actually think the only chance we have is the fact that we played like such **** against OU. Hopefully if this team has any class that will motivate them to play their second best game of the season Saturday night (I want our best game against Michigan, to make a statement on RichRod and his merry band of misfits). I'm not calling for a win; I just want to see some real effort and passion out there.

As to your second point, I'm going to assume you're joking and call it a day.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
So the sweater vest is at it again huh? I think USC is smart enough to know to prepare just like they would if he was %100.
I don't think it's misdirection mush.

Jim Tressel doesn't know how to prepare a football team for a big game culturally different than Michigan without Dantonio (Michigan State) and Snyder (now at Marshall).

Beanie is just a p-ussy...plain and simple.

If he doesn't play it will be interesting to see how we gameplan for this one. I'm hoping we play correctly with the double TE, I-form and simply run and punt with the defense playing aggresive.

Whatever happens, the real season starts next week vs. Minnesota so I hope they get their s-hit together.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #13
themush
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
If he doesn't play it will be interesting to see how we gameplan for this one. I'm hoping we play correctly with the double TE, I-form and simply run and punt with the defense playing aggresive.
That's going to be the only way they will even keep this one close. I keep hearing about Pryor getting more PT. That's not the answer. Like you said, Run,run,run punt and play field position.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
That's going to be the only way they will even keep this one close. I keep hearing about Pryor getting more PT. That's not the answer. Like you said, Run,run,run punt and play field position.
Comin' around to my side eh?

Games like this make me wish it was 1974 and I didn't have to worry about our coach running a spread offense, no back attack on 3 consecutive plays with a first and goal at the 4 and then kicking a FG cuz it failed miserably.

The above description was the exact scenario at the end of the first half of the Wisconsin game last year.

First time in all my years I got my ass up and left the stadium in the 2nd quarter. Walked around the Woody Hayes Center and got a bite to eat at Eddie George's restaurant til the rest of my group was ready to go at the end of the game.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #15
themush
Banned

I blame it on the beer.