Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 11-15-2004, 06:18 PM   #1
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road
Default Manning In, Warner Out

Coughlin pulled the plug on Warner after a second dismal performance by Warner.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1923424

Now I know I'm going to the game Sunday. Manning vs. Vick
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:11 PM   #2
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

Nuts...

It's seems like the Giants were just dying to find an excuse to replace Warner with Eli so it wouldn't hurt Warner's feelings. Warner has played well, though struggled a bit, if it wasn't for him, the Giants will be nowhere as respectable as they are now. Letting Eli play now means they're throwing up the towel, qutting on the the team, and that's a not good. Eli will struggle, he won't be a Ben Rotethlisberger, because the Giants are nowhere as deep as a team the Steelers are. They and should and must fight through the adveristies and struggles and keep Warner under center for the remaining season to see how things turn out.
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:43 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The main reason Roethlisberger is as good as he has been is because the Steelers have a stud O-line in front of him and run for 160 yards per game. It is interesting that Big Ben gets so much run when the Steelers are 26th in passing offense this year.

Manning will get buried this weekend against one of the better pass rushes in the league in the Falcons. The Giants are dead last in the league surrendering 40 sacks and cannot seem to block anyone.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:47 PM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Big Ben gets the press he gets because, even though he has the O line, is that rookies aren't supposed to look as composed or be as solid in their decision making as he does and is.

Yes, the running game makes his life easy, as do the max protect schemes, but he's slowly easing into greater and greater complication, and NOT SCREWING UP.

I say Eli goes out and gets sacked three times and throws four INTs next week.

Dave
Old 11-15-2004, 09:19 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I don't know if Manning will throw a ton of picks though Atlanta's secondary is still pretty bad. They couldn't even get Brian Griese to throw picks on them this week. Even though he got sacked seven times he still managed to complete 19 of 26 passes and only threw one pick.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:37 PM   #6
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Warner is just paying the price for his stupid move to the Giants. Did he honestly expect to have the starters job with all the hype and money that they are paying Manning. Warner has done a solid job on what most people thought would be a really bad Giants team. Throw in the loss of both Strahan and Washington and now putting in a rookie at QB, you can pretty much kiss this season goodbye.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:52 AM   #7
bombers fan
All-Star Player

bombers fan is on a distinguished road

I am not a fan of Eli Manning although I did like watching him in college. In my opinion when he refused to play for the Chargers I did not like his attitude. Kurt has done alot for this team and know that Strahans out they will need him in instead of manning. HE is a new Qb an it will take time 2 adjust At the end of this year ok make the switch but the G men have a shot at the playoffs but thats with Kurt Warner. With him they won some games and he never made truley doubt his skills. O yea also eli will never be better then peyton
still denys this to this day.
http://www.theforgotten.org/site/intro_eng.html
bombers fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:51 PM   #8
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

YES Young rookie against our 7 sack d last week is gonna be awesome. I say 5 sacks and 3 picks
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:22 AM   #9
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Remember that Mark Brunell has been benched also (Patrick Ramsey starts this Sunday in Philly), and did you notice how they kept pointing the camera at Drew Henson on the sidelines Monday night? Within two or three weeks, Donovan McNabb - whom more than a few wanted to see benched and replaced with A.J. Feeley only 14 months ago (it seems like 14 years ago now) - is going to be the last man standing among NFC East quarterbacks!

Last edited by Anthony; 11-17-2004 at 06:34 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 09:22 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I have a feeling Vinny has one more start. If the Cowboys lose this weekend to the Ravens they are 3-7 with no real shot at the playoffs and there really is no reason not to run Henson out there and see what he is made of.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:07 PM   #11
Scarboy
Sports Enthusiast

Scarboy is on a distinguished road

I think this move is stupid but you know what kurt warner got to show he still has some football left in him so maybe next year he will be with a team and be the starter and not have to worry about some new kid taking his job
Scarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 10:57 AM   #12
Ego_Maniac
All-Star Player

Ego_Maniac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarboy
I think this move is stupid but you know what kurt warner got to show he still has some football left in him so maybe next year he will be with a team and be the starter and not have to worry about some new kid taking his job
... I wonder. I seem to think Kurt Warner is the perfect backup for Eli Manning.

I seem to think Eli could have a magic touch even though we might not see it in this game (oh well, I went with the Giants). There is a history (politics - NFL style!) of opposing QBs (and the rest of their team, of course!) allowing young QBs to function just to see 'what they're made of.' Atlanta is beatable on the pro-style greater-than the nickle (i.e. offensive dime and 5 receiver set play). Atlanta's blitz can be heaven or hell ... should be an interesting matchup.
Ego_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:29 AM   #13
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Is it me or does everybody kiss Henson's ass as if he were a phenom? I mean he hasn't played in 3 years and he wasn't the man when he did play they act like he's gonna solve the Boys problem
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 04:13 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

That is the funny thing about it, Vinny is not the root of all the Cowboys problems:

-The O-line is rather ordinary.
-Running game does not scare anyone.
-With Terry Glenn out for the season teams can now double Keyshawn. Quincy Morgan does not scare anyone.
-Vinny is not the reason Dallas is giving up 28 points per game.
-The defense really misses Darren Woodson
-Other than Greg Ellis nobody else is getting to the QB