Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 03-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #316
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
What's it all about...Alfie???

(obscure movie reference #89467354859873)
Michael Caine flick?

Man, that's an oldie if I'm right.

So what's up in your world Tark? Anything exciting to report?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #317
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Good call, Caine it is...

Anything new? Nahhh, just everyone around me making excuses, pointing fingers, & refusing to take their share of responsibility.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #318
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Anything new? Nahhh, just everyone around me making excuses, pointing fingers, & refusing to take their share of responsibility.
Were you job shadowing me today?

If so, damn your good. I had no clue you were right behind me.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #319
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Were you job shadowing me today?

If so, damn your good. I had no clue you were right behind me.

Ya know what I find most amusing is the more people try to describe the world today as more complex, busier, more stress ridden, etc., the more obvious it is that it's just gotten more simplified in it's laziness, lack of commitment, devoid of all ownership, crippled by technology, excuse making, etc. mentality...

Just mind numbing...

When I die, I'm gonna already have made my casket, hole already dug, & lay down in the hole in my custom box when it's time. Then all I have to do is pay some lazy friggin' kid a 5 spot to push the dirt in.

I'd hate to put too much of a burden on society by not doin' the prep work...
Old 03-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #320
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Dateline. Tampa, FL.

Mortgage lender kills client.

This MF'er is still calling me 20 times a day. Don't know how much more I can take.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #321
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Just remember, he won't call you at home, unless you gave him your number. Your receptionist should screen his calls out.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #322
themush
Banned

Cell phone nightmare.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #323
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

This added stress is cuz of your 'diet' for the big day, Mush...

Here's some info to help you right your ship:

Beer, With Benefits
The best brews pack more than a heady buzz — they improve your health, too

Beer makes you feel good. You knew that. But you don't realize just how good. Recent research has revealed bioactive compounds in beer that battle cancer, boost your metabolism, and more. And these benefits come on top of the oft-touted upsides of moderate alcohol intake: clot prevention, cleaner arteries, and reduced stress. Just in time for the summer, we set out with a stack of studies, a panel of parched testers, and a full fridge to find the best-tasting, healthiest brews available. Enjoy.

Best Hops Delivery Vehicle: Avery Maharaja Imperial India Pale Ale

Hops help cut the sweetness in a beer, delivering a crisp citrus-and-pine kick to the back of your tongue. But the cone-shaped hops flower is more than just a flavor savior. Researchers have shown that it's also a significant source of cholesterol-lowering, cancer-fighting, and virus-killing compounds called polyphenols. What's more, "Just one 12-ounce beer a day decreased fibrinogen, a clotting factor, and increased albumin, which is very important for protein metabolism," says Shela Gorinstein, Ph.D., a researcher at Jerusalem's Hebrew University and the author of a 2007 study on the bioactivity of beer. In our taste test, the winner was a smooth, fruity India Pale Ale (IPA) brewed with 8 pounds of hops per barrel. It boasts 80 times the hops of a mass-market lager.

Runner-Up: Southern Tier Unearthly IPA

Also Try: North Coast Brewing Red Seal Ale, Harpoon IPA, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Stone IPA, Two Hearted Ale

Best Low-Cal Beer: Beamish Irish Stout

The typical low-cal beer is run through a deflavorizing machine on its way to the bottle. "Most of the calories come from the alcohol content and whatever residual sugars may be left after fermentation," says Garrett Oliver, brewmaster at the Brooklyn Brewery. We sought a brew that would go easy on the waistline without disappointing the palate. Darker beers have a major advantage here: They're relatively low in alcohol and have thick, creamy, smoky finishes. When the cans were emptied, Beamish stood tall. It contains about 130 calories per 12-ounce can, but with a full flavor and sturdy dark-chocolate notes.

Runner-Up: New Belgium Skinny Dip

Also Try: Sam Adams Light, Guinness Draught, Sprecher Micro-Light Ale, Mahr's Bräu Leicht, Shiner Light

Best Organic Beer: Wolaver's India Pale Ale

The German Beer Purity Law of 1516 restricted "true" beer to three ingredients: water, barley, and hops. Today's megabrewery beers are anything but pure. A 2003 FDA study found that 27 percent of barley and 32 percent of nonorganic wheat products carried pesticide residues. What's worse, a loophole in the USDA organic-certification standard allows pesticide-grown hops. Our winner, an IPA with a pleasant aftertaste, is made with wheat from organic farms near the brewer's Vermont facility. "We track every detail of every organic ingredient," says Max Oswald, a Wolaver's spokesman.

Runner-Up: Butte Creek Brewing Pilsner

Also Try: Peak Organic Amber, Dupont Foret, Old Plowshare Stout, Orlio India Pale Ale, Samuel Smith's Organic Ale

Best Alterna-Brew: He'Brew Origin Pomegranate Ale

Novelty beers can be cloying — you can't drink more than one — and few of the added ingredients pack health benefits. In our taste test, our top pick featured the antioxidant-laden superfruit, pomegranate, shown to combat cancer and lower your risk of Alzheimer's and heart disease. In a 2006 UCLA study, for example, men who drank a glass of pomegranate juice every day reduced prostate-cancer cell growth by 12 percent. Brewers dump more than 150 gallons of pomegranate juice into every batch (equivalent to 10,000 pomegranates, or half of a fruit per bottle), giving the final product a rasp- berry-like flavor that allows the malt and hops to come through.

Runner-Up: Dogfish Head Black & Blue

Also Try: Barons Black Wattle Ale, Rogue Juniper Pale Ale, Lindemans Framboise, Kelpie Seaweed Ale

Best Bottle-Conditioned Beer: Brooklyn Brewery Local 1

With bottle-conditioned beers, brewer's yeast is added right before the bottle is closed, reigniting the fermentation process. The result: deeper flavors, extra effervescence, and, it turns out, many health benefits—the yeast is a rich source of B-complex vitamins, protein, and minerals such as chromium. "German doctors used to prescribe bottle-conditioned wheat beer to patients with vitamin deficiencies," says Oliver. As a probiotic organism, yeast helps your body break down nutrients, regulates your digestive system, maintains your nervous system, and even helps modulate blood-sugar levels. Oliver's Local 1 won with a balanced blend of spices and subtle malt flavors. Bonus: Its brewmaster uses twice the yeast.

Runner-Up: Southampton Grand Cru

Also Try: Ommegang Hennepin, Tripel Karmaliet, Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Hell, Allagash White, La Fin du Monde

Best Dark Malt: Trappistes Rochefort 8

The smooth, deep finish of a dark malt develops during the same high-temperature roasting process that fuels the formation of antioxidants. "Dark beers are loaded with them," says Joe Vinson, Ph.D., a researcher at the University of Scranton. Vinson showed in a 2003 study that stouts, porters, and browns contain more than twice the antioxidants of lagers, on average. What's more, "The antioxidants in beer are better at reacting with toxic free radicals than the ones in antioxidant vitamin pills." The Rochefort's creamy cocoa and caramel notes won us over.

Runner-Up: Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

Also Try: Alaskan Smoked Porter, Samuel Smith's Nut Brown, Anchor Porter, Shakespeare Stout, Ayinger Celebrator

Old 03-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #324
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
Cell phone nightmare.
Can't you block his calls?

Catman
Old 03-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #325
themush
Banned

Tark that info is invaluable to my quest.. THANK YOU!!!:thumbsup2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Can't you block his calls?
Yeah but, you can tell when someone blocks/drops your call.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #326
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

It would also cause some difficulties if there were some legitimate questions he had. It was a thought.

Catman
Old 03-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #327
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:

I guess I'm just not a people person & especially not an overweight, 'look, I can hit a little white ball & drink away a promising career, kind of people person...
Apparently I should stop characterizing myself so harshly.

excerpt:

Harmon dumps Daly over 'shenanigans'

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - John Daly has been cut loose by swing coach Butch Harmon, who said Tuesday he was not going to waste his time with a two-time major champion who is more interested in drinking than working on his golf game.

"My whole goal for him was he's got to show me golf is the most important thing in his life," Harmon said from his golf school in Las Vegas. "And the most important thing in his life is getting drunk."

Harmon said he has worked three times this year with Daly, but he said Daly's behavior at the PODS Championship was enough to end the short-lived relationship.

Daly, playing on a sponsor's exemption because he no longer has his full PGA Tour card, spent a 2 1/2-hour rain delay during the first round in a Hooters corporate tent behind the 17th green at Innisbrook. He was 3 over, and when play resumed, he had Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden caddie for him the rest of the day. Daly ended up with a 77.

He followed that with an 80 in the second round to miss the cut.

Daly spent Saturday at the Hooters "Owl's Nest" at the tournament, drinking beer, mingling with fans and signing autographs, including one on the back of a woman's pants.

"I've let him know that after his actions of last weekend, we are no longer together," Harmon said. "In all honesty, I'm a very busy person. I'm willing to help the kid, but until he helps himself and makes golf his No. 1 priority, I'm not his guy.

"Jon Gruden caddying, I thought was ridiculous. I thought he made a circus out of the whole event."

Daly, who is playing the Arnold Palmer Invitational on a sponsor's exemption, could not be located for comment.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #328
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

The best news today that MSN has to offer:

- NY Gov is a repeat call-girl client
Thank God the Public will be kept abreast (oops, sorry about the wording ) how many times the Gov got his knob buffed...

- Slide show of famous 'johns' who paid for it
Thank God cuz that was the 1st question I had after the NY Gov was outed...

- A Boston self employed contractor pleads guilty to sex with girls
Thank God this story broke cuz it explains why I've seen so many 5-12 year olds workin' the street corners lately...

- Gay Episcopal bishop rejects limited role
Thank God the fine art of religious understanding & forgiveness leads the way for the Flock's continued guidance...

- Adoption 'fraud' moms face charges in scandal - Guatemala to prosecute alleged ID theft by parents who gave up babies
Thank God for the update from Guatemala. I was wondering how things were going over there...

- Mary Ann busted for pot
Thank God that we're not allowing 69 year old drug fiends to be ruling America's streets. What's next? catching 'em doing lines on Gilligan's star???

- Heather Locklear 'Fine' After False Suicide Alert
Thank God someone out there is keeping us abreast (oops, sorry again...) of this breaking news but really, can anyone say they're surprised since poor Heather's been forced to look for work on the set of Hannah Montana???

- Prisoner was forgotten in cell for 4 days -
Woman had no food, water or access to a toilet at Arkansas jail
All I know is Dano has some 'splainin' to do...

I swear...cutting edge reporting there, boys...
Old 03-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #329
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Well done Tark!

Thanks for the updates

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #330
themush
Banned