Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-09-2002, 05:23 PM   #1
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road
Default Michigan State ready to hire Redskins' coordinator Lewis

http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2002/1208/1473781.html

The NFL's highest-paid assistant coach could be headed to the college ranks.

A source close to the Michigan State football program told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Redskins defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis is the leading candidate for the Spartans' vacant coaching position and the school hopes to close the deal with Lewis possibly as soon as Monday.

"I'm 99 percent sure Lewis will be hired," the source told Mortensen.

The Washington Post reported Sunday night on its Web site that Lewis is expected to interview with Michigan State University as soon as this week, and team officials were resigned Sunday to entering next season with a new defensive coordinator for the fourth straight year.

"You have to ask Marvin about that," Redskins Coach Steve Spurrier said after Sunday's 27-21 loss to the New York Giants. "I just know there's a strong interest."

Lewis is expected to receive an offer of a five-year contract worth more than $1 million annually, the Washington Times reported. The dollar figure is believed to represent only salary, since college coaches also receive lucrative endorsement contracts and bonuses as part of their deals.

The deal likely will include a buyout clause that would restrict Lewis' return to the NFL, the Times reported.

Lewis confirmed as he left FedEx Field on Sunday that he was taking a flight but would not confirm his destination, the Times said, though there were strong indications Lewis was leaving to meet with Michigan State officials.

Sources told the Post that Redskins officials expect to lose Lewis, who has indicated he wants to be a head coach and would be receptive to a college job.
----------------------------------------------------
what are your thoughts on this? Michigan State could defenitely turn it around with Lewis in the helm. It will be an excellent pick up for the school and program
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 06:05 PM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Lewis should be a NFL coach right now, but he isn't. So, that being said this is the best candidate for the Michigan State job. I think it is a shame that Lewis didn't get a head coaching position in the NFL, and for him to be a college coach is going to be a step down for him, but a huge improvement for the Spartans.

Joey
Old 12-09-2002, 06:51 PM   #3
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

Yeah Michigan State needs A LOT of help...it seemed like they had the talent, but no teamwork at all...
Old 12-09-2002, 07:05 PM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised and dismayed that he's taking this job, and won't be shocked if he eventually doesn't.

There will be several NFL positions open, and he's likely to be a top 3 candidate in most cases. Of course, maybe he doesn't want to work in Phoenix, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Seattle, Detroit, or New York City/New Jersey.

With the 'Skins tanking it, there seems to be no reason for him not to have preliminary discussions with some of these teams.

Like I said, I'm surprised as heck that he isn't going to wait for an NFL job, but won't be surprised if he comes out tomorrow and says he wants to wait for an NFL job...

Dave
Old 12-09-2002, 08:58 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I was right!! He's not going there. I thought so...

Stolen from ESPN.com. Author credits at bottom.

While it remains unclear whether the job was formally offered, Washington Redskins defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis on Monday removed himself from consideration for the current head coaching vacancy at Michigan State, ESPN.com has learned.

Believed to be the candidate atop the Spartans' wish list, Lewis huddled with school officials on Monday. It marked at least the second meeting in recent weeks between Lewis and university representatives. But less than 24 hours after various media outlets all but conceded the job to Lewis, and suggested he would likely accept it this week, he opted against it.

Lewis returned to the Washington area on Monday evening and informed some Redskins staffers that he was staying.

It is not immediately known where Michigan State will turn now, since the school was so focused on Lewis, and felt he could provide an immediate fix to a program where the talent cupboard is not bare. Lewis' candidacy was boosted by a strong recommendation from former MSU coach Nick Saban, now at LSU, and endorsement from several NFL officials.

"He was definitely the guy and, truthfully, they felt they had him," said a source at the university. "Whether or not they offered him the job... well, it's just bantering semantics, because everybody knew it was his if he wanted it."

Lewis, 44, has long been regarded as one of the NFL's top coordinators and over the last two offseasons interviewed for head coach openings with the Buffalo Bills, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Carolina Panthers. He appeared set to succeed Tony Dungy in Tampa Bay this spring before ownership changed its mind and sought Jon Gruden instead.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 10:55 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I still think there is a heading coaching job in the NFL for Lewis, who I agree is worthy of the promotion. He doesn't want to be another Sherm Lewis. I just wonder why he was hired in the first place with people knowing his intentions to leave.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 11:19 AM   #7
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Lewis deserves a head coaching position in the NFL right away, it is a disgrace that he doesn't already have one considering the kind of head coaches that are coaching in the NFL right now.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:45 AM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

What are you talking about? Campo and Mornhinweg are GREAT choices to coach....

high school soccer, maybe...

Dave
Old 12-10-2002, 06:05 PM   #9
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

You really just insulted alot of HS soccer coaches you know!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 06:29 PM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Too true. My apologies to any high school soccer coaches who took offense. I'm quite sure that if Campo and Mornhinweg can't figure out football, they'd NEVER understand soccer.

(Which, by the way, has really taken over my #3 favorite sport to watch on TV. Everyone calls it boring, but soccer epitomizes passive aggression.)

Dave
Old 12-10-2002, 06:42 PM   #11
Sports Virtuoso

Well my oldest child, my teenage son, plays soccer Dave............much to my shagrin..............and I hate the game. But I have to support him, because it is what he likes.

The mental aspect of football(being able to accept the beating your going to get and the one your suppose to administer) just didnt fit for him. He has size and speed to, but football just isnt for everyone. The sacrifice your body has to make wasnt for him. For me that was tough to accept at one time, BUT as a parent you have to be supportive of there choices.

I still dont care for soccer much, but he loves it, so good for him.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:51 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Have you watched much soccer? There's just a ton of stuff that goes on that is just plain MEAN. Of course, mean stuff happens in football, but the sport has that reputation.

Soccer doesn't carry the same violence quotient, but when those guys, especially the European pros(the ones I see most), get mad, they get even.

I don't figure it's quite the same at the high school level.

I'm glad you've accepted your son's soccer playing, since your daughters, if they're athletic, are likely to be playing it, too.

MEANWHILE, returning to the topic of the thread:

Where WILL Marvin Lewis end up? Is he interested in the 'Bama opening?
Who will Michigan State hire? Are there ANY great college candidates right now?

Dave
Old 12-10-2002, 07:04 PM   #13
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
Soccer doesn't carry the same violence quotient, but when those guys, especially the European pros (the ones I see most), get mad, they get even.

Dave

oh yeah! ... last weeks game between Brugge and Feynoord defenitely proved just that
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 07:08 PM   #14
Sports Virtuoso

I think Lewis will wait for his shot in the NFL. I think that is the main reason he did not take the job at MSU. Especially since there contract offer had many stipulations regarding his departure to the NFL and the type of payments he would have to make back to MSU, had he done that.

I think Bama, will go back to hiring a FAMILY person, someone with Alabam roots, grad, player, etc. I also think they will hire someone who wants to be a college lifer, not use Bama as a stepping stone. I know Bama looks at itself(rightfully so) as someone who shouldnt be second to anyone, including the NFL.

Great candidates? Well I do not know Alabama inside an out like I would SC for example, so I'm not sure what is out there as far as succesful Alabama alums who have been coaching and being succesful, whether it be at D-1AA or where ever. I also have not paid much attention honestly to there search at this point.

Our kicker on our football team, played for 4 years over in the first division in England, never made the premiere league though. So we talk about that quite a bit. Yes alot of stuff does happen, but he also points out, that half of the time the guys arent even hurt they just act in hopes of getting a call or one down the road. In fact they practice there fake falls, which I find amusing in itself.

There is no doubt it is a physical game at times. But football is just totally different in that aspect. There is nothing that can duplicate a head on collison by athletes traveling at that speed coupled with there size. It is why not everyone can Mentally play football.

Yes my daughters will probably play soccer, but fortuantely it is basketball season now, so I am relieved of watching soccer for a bit anyway. Its much more enjoyable for me to go to his hoop games.......lol.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:50 PM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

My dream....John Cooper to Michigan State... there's a sure win on the Buckeyes schedule each year... HA HA. Does anyone know where Cooper even is right now ?

It's funny #47, cause I'll watch hoops anytime too. Girls, boys, little kids, pick up games. The last basketball game I actually enjoyed was a seventh grade girls game I saw while waiting for the gym to open up for a function I was involved in... lol. The only hoops I get sick of is NBA and more and more college too...lol...but true.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote