Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 11-09-2006, 01:28 PM   #31
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I didn't vote for Nancy Pelosi for sure-God have mercy on this country.

Went with Republicans. Thank God Ford lost in Tennessee. God help Missouri and Virginia and our once great nation.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:32 PM   #32
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Don't be so hard on the Democrats, Bama. The new members of Congress are not the "hard-left" that some of the leadership is. If they do what they campaigned on, they will not vote with their leadership. If they don't, and the Republicans run decent candidates in 2008, they will be out after 1 term.
The Democrats won the election without having any real plans to move the country forward, but that shouldn't surprise anyone. They have not had a legitimate new idea to move the country forward in over a generation.
I doubt if things will change much in Washington.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #33
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

For the record, I was far more upset over the fact that Issue 5 passed in Ohio, than the fact that the Dems took over Congress...I really did not care who won at all.

Anyway, I would have to disagree with some in here that this is a trend, that will lead right into '08. This election, IMO, is a slight deviation from a larger trend, going the other way. Anyone who considers himself conservative should be pleased with the result of the election.

The Republicans, frankly, deserved to loose. They were a stagnant party, getting nothing positive accomplished, and spending more than the party they call "the big government people". Then you throw in the little side issues of corruption and all that. Apparently, they couldn't handle 12 years of power without it going completely to their heads.

Bush was a lame duck before this election, he was a lame duck since after his reelection. For Republicans, having a Democrat controlled Congress changes little. The main thing will be immigration, Bush will get his patty-cake immigration bill through, and his laughable No Child Left Behind bill, but we all knew that nothing serious was going to be done about immigration (the root causes behind it) anyway, and the No Child Bill is just another example of the wild, unneccessary broadening of Federal power. Being a minority party for a while should be good for the Republicans, I think.

Also, and this is where I really disagree with some, this sets the Republicans up nicely for the Presidential race in '08. Now that Democrats are the majority party, they will be expected to contribute something, and if they do that is great for the war and the country...if they don't then the country will see it, and the Dems will loose. Its not as easy to govern as it is to point out flaws in others while they are governing. This will be a lesson soon learned.

The Democrats very smartly did not run on anything this cycle. They won't be able to do that in '08. That is why I feel this is a temporary shift. If you want my prediction, we're looking at a President Mitt Romney.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #34
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Its not as easy to govern as it is to point out flaws in others while they are governing. This will be a lesson soon learned.
Maybe, but it's not like the Democrats haven't been in charge before. Which leads me to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
The Democrats won the election without having any real plans to move the country forward, but that shouldn't surprise anyone. They have not had a legitimate new idea to move the country forward in over a generation.
I think you mean, "They don't have any new ideas that I agree with." If you think they really have no governing philosophy, platform, and practice, I'd be happy to send you a buncha links.

I agree to a point with Ricky's prediction...there will probably be a lot of "compromise" bills passed that no one is happy about, as Buch will veto anything large-scale that is counter to Republican philosophy. I don't see the voters holding that against the Democrats in 2008, especially if they note how much better the economy genereally seems to run in modern times under Democratic stewardship.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #35
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane View Post
...if they note how much better the economy genereally seems to run in modern times under Democratic stewardship.
The current stock market boom and record low unemployment rate had nothing at all to do with Democrats; any Democrat trying to use the economy issue as a feather in their cap does so at their peril...
Old 11-09-2006, 05:14 PM   #36
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Well, the reality with the economy is that while the numbers look sharp, the middle class is being altered in a way that a lot of people don't like. The upper middle class is certainly gaining wealth, if not widening, while there becomes a gap with the rest of the middle class. So, it's not the economy, per se, that democrats are going to attack. Just in getting more good paying jobs for the middle class and jobs with benefits.

The other thing the democrats should pass that will certainly may make the economy numbers look like they are dropping, on the whole, will be the minimum wage and raising that nationally. Although, raising the minimum wage hasn't had the drastic economic effects that people expect. Raising the minimum wage is something that on the surface, should hurt the economy, and you just have to justify the bumps down with the reasons for a fair salary for folks. However, in practice, a minimum wage raise has helped economies. A lot of economists are actually coming around on that, the old logic is heading out the window. Democrats should work on getting that done, but, I think most Republicans were seeing that as something to get done as well, mainly because of how it has worked in practice.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:09 AM   #37
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane View Post
Maybe, but it's not like the Democrats haven't been in charge before. Which leads me to...

I think you mean, "They don't have any new ideas that I agree with." If you think they really have no governing philosophy, platform, and practice, I'd be happy to send you a buncha links.
Please do. I'd be interested in seeing them.

Catman
Old 11-10-2006, 07:03 AM   #38
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

No matter what the talking heads say, I refuse to believe that Iraq was the deciding issue in this election. Have we become a nation of quitters all of a sudden?

On the contrary, there is strong evidence to suggest that the biggest reason for the Democratic juggernaut was economic: In two states alone - Pennsylvania and Ohio - the Republicans lost two Senate seats and five House seats. And for further confirmation of the prominence of economic issues in this election, state ballot initiatives to increase the minimum wage went six for six, if I'm not mistaken.

And unless the political landscape changes dramatically within the next two years, the Republicans are going to have a hard time holding onto the White House in 2008: They're in trouble even in their base in the South, where they could lose as many as four states: Louisiana (an absolute slam dunk for the Democrats thanks to the Katrina fiasco), Virginia (it seems as if the political "Mason-Dixon Line" now runs about halfway through the state), Florida, and Missouri (where the liberals swept both ends of the doubleheader on Tuesday - the Senate seat and the stem cell vote). Elsewhere, the Republicans lost two House seats in Iowa (including the stunning upset of Jim Leach) and even the Mountain West is starting to look shaky for them (a state like Montana shouldn't have even been in play, and Arizona's rejection of a gay-marriage ban is further proof that the West is starting to resent what they see as Southern domination of the Republican Party).

So long as the Democrats don't take another walk on the wild side in choosing their nominee, they've got an excellent chance of recapturing the Presidency in two years (a Hillary Clinton-Wesley Clark ticket sounds about right).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:55 AM   #39
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Please do. I'd be interested in seeing them.
http://www.democrats.org/a/national/real_security/

http://www.dlc.org/ndol_ci.cfm?kaid=...ntentid=254077

http://www.democrats.org/a/national/...onment/energy/

http://www.democrats.org/a/national/economic_growth/

http://www.sddp.org/vertical/Sites/{46DCB7CA-470E-4991-8122-F0D6D3C18BD9}/uploads/{609BAF8C-3BAB-4886-8603-0435F26E248B}.PDF

The whole tab under "ideas" on the dlc.org main page covers a lot of ground. I'll grant you that, except for the last link (which is just from a state Democratic organization), it's mostly outlines and overviews rather than nitty-gritty details but I don't think that's any different from the Republican official websites either.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #40
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Thanks for posting those. I'll read through them when I have a bit more time than I have right now.

Catman
Old 11-18-2006, 02:02 PM   #41
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

A little late but...

I voted for Swann and Santorum - I'm in PA in case you couldn't tell. Why?

Well, first off it had nothing to do with the war. I'm so sick of the war. I used to think I supported it and it looked alright initially and on paper, but this is getting ridiculous. How much longer are we going to be over there? My cousin comes home for a few months after serving a 1 1/2 years and now they're saying he may have to go back over! Come on! I'm not in favor of an immediate withdrawl - as I would assume most anti-war people are as well (correct me if I'm wrong) - but we really need to start pulling out of there. I think my feeling right now are not anti-war, but rather pure frustration with how thing are going. America has it's problems, too, you know!

OK, anyways...I'm a fiscal conservative (big fan of Reagan) and I think that Santorum and Swann would have done more to keep government out of the economy. The smaller the government, the better. I suppose this border the beliefs of being a libertarian, but I do have some feelings on some social issues, but I haven't fully thought about them as much as I have. Perhaps I will eventually become a libertarian. Who knows.

But I felt like Santorum would continue to do good things for PA. Not that I don't think Casey will, but I liked the way PA was going.

Nonetheless, I completely see why the American people voted the way they did...To show their frustration with the President (who's approval ratings dropped again - if anybody saw that). I'm frustrated. I know that.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:18 PM   #42
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
But I felt like Santorum would continue to do good things for PA. Not that I don't think Casey will, but I liked the way PA was going.
Then why vote for Swann? I don't understand that. PA has been moving forward so much under Rendell. In a lot of different areas.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:25 PM   #43
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

Doug,

I actually went into the voting booth undecided on governor. Rendell seemed alright and Swann hadn't made himself known. So, I really did not know who to vote for. Is that bad? I'm asking a serious question, here. If you don't know who to vote for 100%, should you vote?
Old 11-18-2006, 07:18 PM   #44
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

I don't think that is bad, no. Especially given the type of candidate Swann was and what you said about your political leanings. I actually hope Swann runs for Congress in 2 years in some Republican House district.

As for generally answering your question, if you don't know who to vote for 100%...I don't think it is bad because most people aren't 100% when they vote, I would imagine. Better to do that than not vote, I think.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:35 PM   #45
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham View Post
As for generally answering your question, if you don't know who to vote for 100%...I don't think it is bad because most people aren't 100% when they vote, I would imagine. Better to do that than not vote, I think.
I agree, too. I felt very hypocritical though because I'm not an advocate of voting on a party ticket, but I voted for Swann because he was a Republican and I was undecided at the time. It was my first major election I voted in (granted I'm only 18 and everything else was just a primary and special election) so I guess I should have been more aware about the governor election.