Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 02-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #31
mthm142
Who's the Rookie???

mthm142 is on a distinguished road
Default Hear Hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Yes, but that's a reason to complain CK.

Things in the old days didn't get done not from a lack of trying/accountability or work ethic. They didn't get done cuz technology was primitive.

Things today don't get done cuz people are lazy/no work ethic/no accountability.

So when he complains that people today complain too much...he's wrong. You should complain if you're old enough to remember when most of your daily activities were met by competency as best could be provided.

This is our generational divide again. Results (you) over attempts (me - old folks).

I never have a problem with a failed attempt as long as it's honest and sincere. I just haven't seen one since 1979.

A - FREAKIN - MAN, you said it!!!!
mthm142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #32
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post
This is just silly. So, then, explain why people are giving a **** about what people are writing on blogs?
Because they have some kind of special insight. People read Prez Hilton's blog. Why? Because he dedicates his life to celebrity gossip-- he is an expert in the field. People read Mark Cuban's blog. Why? Because he is an expert in the field. People read ThePensBlog. Why? Because they are at the center of the Penguins culture. Leave the analysis to the experts or the people at the center of what they are blogging about. The last thing the world needs is more ****ty analysis by ****ty people.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #33
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
I was more confused as to why it is okay for some kid living in his basement to post his trivial opinions on a message board, but if a similar invidual posts his worthless commentary on a blog or facebook then that is taking it way too far. My philosophy is bullshit is bullshit regardless of what medium it is delivered in.

And I have yet to encounter anyone on this message board who I would consider anymore wordly or sophisticated than the people I have encounted on facebook or a blog. Myself included. In fact, this message board is solely designed for self-righteous internet users to rant illogically about inconsquential matters to anonymous browsers before soldiering on with our day.

The fact that this message board is as petty as any makes his boisterous rant about the paltry nature of others all the more ironic.
Just keep doing what you're doing. Who am I going to read: someone who is from Harvard with a Master's Degree in English (A.O. Scott) or someone who posts his reviews on SC?

I'm not saying I should be taken seriously about anything, but at least I've read Swann's Way, Philosophical Investigations, The Tractatus, Schopenhauer's Aphorisms, and many more and keep up with people who have PhD in these fields. When other people impose their will on others who don't know **** about anything bothers me. I'm not there yet, but when I have a PhD, I'm going to tell everyone to **** off.

Last edited by Ellis; 02-20-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #34
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
Because they have some kind of special insight. People read Prez Hilton's blog. Why? Because he dedicates his life to celebrity gossip-- he is an expert in the field. People read Mark Cuban's blog. Why? Because he is an expert in the field. People read ThePensBlog. Why? Because they are at the center of the Penguins culture. Leave the analysis to the experts or the people at the center of what they are blogging about. The last thing the world needs is more ****ty analysis by ****ty people.
Ok, but, why do people read Deadspin? Or Wonkette? Or any number of blogs that are successful without being run by people who are experts in their field? It seems fairly nonsensical to expect every blog or opinion source to be run by someone that is an expert. If you want to only read blogs by people who are experts in their field, by all means, stick with it, no one will really give a damn, but to demand they live up to your standards is silly.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #35
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post
Ok, but, why do people read Deadspin? Or Wonkette? Or any number of blogs that are successful without being run by people who are experts in their field? It seems fairly nonsensical to expect every blog or opinion source to be run by someone that is an expert. If you want to only read blogs by people who are experts in their field, by all means, stick with it, no one will really give a damn, but to demand they live up to your standards is silly.
Deadspin uncovers stories that the mainstream media doesn't. In that way, they are master's in the field of sports that the media doesn't show you.

I'm not necessarily saying that you have to be an expert. Let's say that you, Doug, started a Law blog, featuring university research. That would be fine. You are going out and finding things that other people don't know and presenting us worthy information.

I agree that no one will ever follow these standards, because they're too damn narcissistic, but in reality blogs made by idiots offer absolutely nothing but clutter-- blanketing the valuable information.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #36
ghostofSC
All-Star Player

ghostofSC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not there yet, but when I have a PhD, I'm going to put everyone in their place.
Because having a PhD means you've got it all together. Just ask this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Kaczynski
ghostofSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:34 PM   #37
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofSC View Post
Because having a PhD means you've got it all together. Just ask this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Kaczynski
Who says having it all together is a good thing? If Beethoven had it all together, we wouldn't have his music. If Satie had it altogether, we wouldn't have had a whole chain of composers. If Einstein had it altogether, physics would be behind. If Wittgenstein had it together, analytical philosophy and linguistics would be way behind.

Sure, the unibomber was a little too ****ed up.

But I respect anyone trying. Anyone who is trying to become good in their field. But when I see some bum who has an office job talking about politics, I get mad. You have nothing to contribute to the field. Just resign yourself to nothing if you're not going to try, but pretend to be an expert or have some kind of special insight.

And I have little or nothing to contribute to any field, but at least I'm trying to get there. Most people might as well be dead-- they have nothing to offer anything.

I respect Doug because he is trying to master the law. He will have insight the common person doesn't have. I respect other people's opinions who have unique and special insight. But when it comes to people with banal jobs and banal lives, they have no right to talk about stuff that they haven't mastered.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:29 AM   #38
ghostofSC
All-Star Player

ghostofSC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Who says having it all together is a good thing? If Beethoven had it all together, we wouldn't have his music. If Satie had it altogether, we wouldn't have had a whole chain of composers. If Einstein had it altogether, physics would be behind. If Wittgenstein had it together, analytical philosophy and linguistics would be way behind.

Sure, the unibomber was a little too ****ed up.

But I respect anyone trying. Anyone who is trying to become good in their field. But when I see some bum who has an office job talking about politics, I get mad. You have nothing to contribute to the field. Just resign yourself to nothing if you're not going to try, but pretend to be an expert or have some kind of special insight.

And I have little or nothing to contribute to any field, but at least I'm trying to get there. Most people might as well be dead-- they have nothing to offer anything.

I respect Doug because he is trying to master the law. He will have insight the common person doesn't have. I respect other people's opinions who have unique and special insight. But when it comes to people with banal jobs and banal lives, they have no right to talk about stuff that they haven't mastered.
I don't mean this as an insult at all, so I hope you don't take it this way (although I assume you probably don't care if it's an insult or not)...

but reading this post kind of reminds me of an the arch-villain antagonist in a cartoon who's believes his actions are just trying to make the world a better place.
ghostofSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:34 AM   #39
Ellis
gymnopedist

However off the point I get, all I'm saying is that leave analysis to the experts, scholars and students. Get the idiots off of youtube and blogs, and stop letting idiots voice their opinion about stuff they don't know anything about.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:45 AM   #40
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis
Just keep doing what you're doing. Who am I going to read: someone who is from Harvard with a Master's Degree in English (A.O. Scott) or someone who posts his reviews on SC?
Because a Master's Degree in English makes you more of an expert in the field of cinema? And if we are talking about only wanting opinions from experts in the field of cinema -- of which their can be no such thing -- we would have zero use for critics, such as A.O. Scott, because the closest thing to experts in the field are actually the people that A.O. Scott is getting paid to critique. That just doesn't add up.

But more importantly, I have never once suggested that my opinion on film is any more important or valuable than that of A.O. Scott (probably my favorite film critic to read) or any other critic, because it's not. Also, I have never suggested that my opinion on film -- which I actually get paid a hefty some of money to share on a weekly basis, and is not just something I post for SC -- is any more important or valuable than any average joe off the street. Because, again, it's not.

Film is a subjective medium, and what makes a film great is left up to ones personal taste. Why someone would pay me to write a film review is even quite shocking to myself, but I love movies and since someone is willing to buy my ticket, I will continue to write reviews.

If you don't want to read my reviews, don't read them. If it makes you feel better to go on a message board -- which is far more sophisticated than a blog, isn't it? -- and discuss how banal my life is (...the pot calling the kettle black in this instance...), then continue to do so.

Quote:
When other people impose their will on others who don't know **** about anything bothers me. I'm not there yet, but when I have a PhD, I'm going to tell everyone to **** off.
I don't know if this specific part was addressed to me, but I will say that writing a film review is not imposing my will onto others. It's sharing my opinion on a particular movie with others because someone is idiotic enough to offer me money to do so. But it's strictly my view of a subject that is purely subjective. One review cannot be more right than the other, regardless of who is the author.

And while you may not like my reviews, some here do appreciate them, despite the fact that I don't have a Masters in English.

P.S. You don't need a PhD to tell everyone to **** off, and no one is going to take more offense from hearing those words come from someone with a higher-priced education. But keep doing what you're doing.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:52 AM   #41
Ellis
gymnopedist

I wasn't specifically attacking you-- it's just the whole culture. Everyone thinks that they are an expert. It pisses me off when someone who hasn't read P.I., Swann's Way, etc. try and impose their will someone... it happens everywhere. Idiots are everywhere and everyone pretends to be an expert.

Sure, you don't have to have a degree to be an expert (see that Matt Damond movie), but it pisses me off when you have idiots on youtube and blogs giving themselves the illusion of having anything valuable to offer.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:10 AM   #42
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I wasn't specifically attacking you-- it's just the whole culture. Everyone thinks that they are an expert. It pisses me off when someone who hasn't read P.I., Swann's Way, etc. try and impose their will someone... it happens everywhere. Idiots are everywhere and everyone pretends to be an expert.

Sure, you don't have to have a degree to be an expert (see that Matt Damond movie), but it pisses me off when you have idiots on youtube and blogs giving themselves the illusion of having anything valuable to offer.
I don't feel like you are attacking me personally, but I think their is a tinge of irony in your posts that you are missing. You are turned off by people who impose their wills on others, yet you suggest that people who haven't read P.I., Swann's Way, etc., are idiots. I don't disagree that their is likely some value in reading some of that material, but to write someone off because they haven't is placing yourself on a higher pedestal and thumbing your nose at them, simply because you like your book collection more.

As for me, I am not an expert on anything. Yet, my line of work involves me spending vasts amounts of my day critiquing films and sports. Two things that many people -- throw a rock and you will likely hit one on this message board -- feel I have nothing of value to offer either subject. But I won't let that deter me from doing what I love to do, and I would hate to suggest that others do the same like you are doing.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:51 AM   #43
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
I don't feel like you are attacking me personally, but I think their is a tinge of irony in your posts that you are missing. You are turned off by people who impose their wills on others, yet you suggest that people who haven't read P.I., Swann's Way, etc., are idiots. I don't disagree that their is likely some value in reading some of that material, but to write someone off because they haven't is placing yourself on a higher pedestal and thumbing your nose at them, simply because you like your book collection more.
It's not a book collection, it's a canon. Yes, I lose respect for anyone who doesn't/hasn't make an attempt to read through their own part of the western canon.

But more than that, I have the upmost respect for anyone who dedicates everything they have to their field. If there's a guy out there who spends every second of his life watching movies and classical movies and won't let himself be interrupted until he has a grandiose knowledge of cinema, his opinion is valuable and that is a guy whose movie blog would be worth reading and whose opinion I would want to listen to.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #44
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But more than that, I have the upmost respect for anyone who dedicates everything they have to their field. If there's a guy out there who spends every second of his life watching movies and classical movies and won't let himself be interrupted until he has a grandiose knowledge of cinema, his opinion is valuable and that is a guy whose movie blog would be worth reading and whose opinion I would want to listen to.
I think this line kind of sums of the difference I think we have here. Now, you're going to this guy for his knowledge over cinema, but, if you're just looking for a date movie to go to this weekend rather than a breakdown of The Godfather vs. Shawshank Redemption as the best movie of all time, are you going to go to this guy?

I probably wouldn't. Probably would go to someone whose blog about movies has a taste in flicks that I like. He doesn't have to spend all his life dedicated to the field to serve his purpose to me.

And blogs, I feel like it opens up a whole world where anyone who wants to put themselves out there can get out there. I certainly agree with you that there are a lot of bull**** blogs, but the good in that is that you can generally find what you are looking for in one.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #45
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
I've said what I want to say on this topic buck. Run along now
Well, you've taught me alot CK. I'm not going to let this tough love session go by without learning something. Hopefully I can garner more advice from you in the future. I surely need it.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote