Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > Site Feedback

Old 08-10-2006, 10:36 PM   #1
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough
Default SCMB Hall of Fame

Okay so Ellis and I came up with the idea for the SCMB Hall of Fame, as a way to recognize those that have contributed to the forum. Marc is cool with the idea, so let's get the ball rollin'.

The HoF has got a long way to go before it can be established, but this is a start.

As far as I can tell, the following issues would need to be addressed before any serious progress on the subject:

1) Which members comprise the HoF Committee
2) Which members get to vote for the candidates
3) How candidates are nominated
4) How many votes a candidate needs to be elected

My opinions on the matter:

1) The forum leaders, Ellis and myself (9)

2) The Committee selects which members get a ballot. If there is disagreement over a member, a majority vote (out of the 9) takes place.

3) All SCMB members can nominate candidates. Any past or present member of SCMB is eligible to be nominated. If the Committee disagrees over a particular nominee, a vote takes place.

4) All voters may cast up to 5 votes, including write-in votes. All votes are PM'ed to four members of the Committee who are delegated as vote tabulators. Candiates who receive 75% or more of the votes are enshrined. Three maximum enshrinements per year, one minimum.

If less than three candidates receive 75%, the Committee votes to enshrine the top vote-getters (maximum 3). If no candidate receives 75% of the vote, the top vote-getter is automatically elected, and the next two-highest vote getters are voted on by the Committee.

In the event of ties, the Committee acts as the tie-breaker.
--------------------------------------------------

The basic idea I have in mind somewhat follows the what MLB and NFL Hall of Fames do, which I think are good templates.

Ideas, suggestions?

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:43 PM   #2
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Wow, that's an amazing idea. I love it.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #3
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

I say another stipulation. HOF inductees must have an acceptance speech. That would be AWESOME!
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:50 PM   #4
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Another thing to bring up is... where would all the HoF stuff go? I think it would be best to have its own folder in the SC Site Stuff, with subfolders for each year and all the important threads being stickied.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:55 PM   #5
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

I think that we should take 2 people into the hall of fame every year. The top two people with the most votes get in.

I think that the top 10 posters should be the voters. I am sure not all 10 would participate, but we tally up the votes of those who did and then declare the winners.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:06 AM   #6
Ellis
gymnopedist

Actually I take all of that back. I like your idea ken, as long as it stays organized.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:54 AM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I'm up for this on one condition:

We make James Worthy an honorary member as soon as it is created. He didn't get in the Pro Basketball HOF on the first ballot. SOMEONE SOMEWHERE gotta give him his props. It will give our HOF a ton of credibility to do this.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:00 AM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah, acceptance speeches are a MUST.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:24 AM   #9
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Is there a seniors' committee?
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:51 PM   #10
Ellis
gymnopedist

Yeah, this idea would be awesome if we got it going.

Ken, I like your idea alot more, the more I think about. I say we get this started ASAP. Let me know how I can help, because I will help as little or as much as you could use me to.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:56 PM   #11
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

I want to hear what the mods and Marc have to say. It's really up to them how far this thing goes.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #12
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Instead of a hall of fame, I think we should create something similar to like the Oscars or the MTV Movie Awards.

Think about it.

You could have silly little awards like Best Feud...

..."and the nominees are: buckeyefan78 vs. Kobe Bryant, Anthony vs. Donovan McNabb, InTheNet vs. Muslims, Asians and alleged rape victims,..."

The possibilities are endless.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:04 PM   #13
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker
Instead of a hall of fame, I think we should create something similar to like the Oscars or the MTV Movie Awards.

Think about it.

You could have silly little awards like Best Feud...

..."and the nominees are: buckeyefan78 vs. Kobe Bryant, Anthony vs. Donovan McNabb, InTheNet vs. Muslims, Asians and alleged rape victims,..."

The possibilities are endless.
Hell, we can do goofy stuff like that regardless,

I am cool with the HOF idea, although I'd selfishly prefer it'd be called the Thread of the Very Good.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #14
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

I like to rain on parades, so I don't know if this is a good idea. Despite our friendly intentions, I think the SCMB can come across as cliquish and exclusionary sometimes, and a Hall of Fame would only reinforce that impression. Furthermore, new and new-ish members have complained in the past that our moderators -- who by and large do a great job (and are responsible for keeping the boards the polite and productive environment they are) -- seem a little egomaniacal and/or mad with power. A Hall of Fame, or Building/Thread/Etc. of Very Good, is an interesting idea, and could be kind of fun, but I don't see a necessity for it, and there seem to be some drawbacks (in my mind, anyway).

Even if it didn't discourage new members, I worry about people doing things to try to get in, or be voters, or committee members. If there are a minimum number of posts involved, for instance, how many pointless one-line posts are we going to get from people trying to boost their post-counts? That's been a problem in the past even when there was no incentive except people seeing that you had a high post count. Also, some existing members could be offended if they were not included. Think how bitter Harry Carson got about the PFHOF, and he didn't interact with the voters -- who rejected him -- on a regular basis, as would be the case here.

All that said, if this idea does go forward, I would suggest that the moderators select a panel including some but not all of themselves, and a few select members of the boards, to do the voting. A committee to oversee the voters seems like unnecessary red tape. I would further suggest that the inaugural class can be larger than three people, as I can easily think of half a dozen who clearly would belong in a hypothetical SCMBHOF and couldn't justly be excluded for even a year.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:03 PM   #15
LA sports
I love LA!

LA sports is on a distinguished road

I did not think of these things until Brad brought them up, he has a lot of good points here. The word cliques did pop up in my mind while reading about this.