Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 05-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default Hypocrisy from the Right

A few months ago, Nancy Pelosi visited Syria to begin some form of diplomacy with a very important player in the middle east and an important part of our national security. Her efforts were greeted by the right with words like "treason," and she was likened to the terrorists.

This week, Sec. of State Condoleezza Rice met with the Syrian foreign minister in attempt to work towards some peaceful solution. I applaud her efforts, and that of this administration for FINALLY understanding that diplomacy will be a necessary weapon in this international conflict that we currently face.

The problem is this: the members of the right, who called Pelosi a terrorist, and said "you don't negotiate with terrorists, and Syria is the enemy," are the same people that will applaud Rice for doing the same thing.

I am calling you out (you know who you are) right now. Either call Secretary Rice a terrorists and an "appeaser," or apologize for your remarks about Pelosi. Otherwise, your hypocrisy is shining bright.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Ms. Rice is acting as an agent of the administration. Ms. Pelosi's trip was not sanctioned. No hypocrisy at all.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Ms. Rice is acting as an agent of the administration. Ms. Pelosi's trip was not sanctioned. No hypocrisy at all.
Thank you for proving my point. :thumbup:

Think Fresh.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
grizzle_810
All-Star Player

grizzle_810 is on a distinguished road

if you called out pelosi on treason for doing the same thing as rice, you are being hypocritical. if you had a problem with pelosi spending time doing something out of her job description, then you are not. some people from the right did the former, some only the latter.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzle_810 View Post
if you called out pelosi on treason for doing the same thing as rice, you are being hypocritical. if you had a problem with pelosi spending time doing something out of her job description, then you are not. some people from the right did the former, some only the latter.
Agreed. I have no problem with those who question Pelosi for acting as a diplomat when she is in fact a member of congress, but that's not what I am criticizing. I am criticizing those who called Pelosi a terrorist for talking with Syria. Those people made no argument about her position in government, but instead argued that talking with Syria is treason for American memebers of government.

Once again griz, you insert the voice of reason for the right. Can you give some of your intelligence and rational thinking to the rest of your party?

Think Fresh.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
A few months ago, Nancy Pelosi visited Syria to begin some form of diplomacy with a very important player in the middle east and an important part of our national security. Her efforts were greeted by the right with words like "treason," and she was likened to the terrorists.

This week, Sec. of State Condoleezza Rice met with the Syrian foreign minister in attempt to work towards some peaceful solution. I applaud her efforts, and that of this administration for FINALLY understanding that diplomacy will be a necessary weapon in this international conflict that we currently face.

The problem is this: the members of the right, who called Pelosi a terrorist, and said "you don't negotiate with terrorists, and Syria is the enemy," are the same people that will applaud Rice for doing the same thing.

I am calling you out (you know who you are) right now. Either call Secretary Rice a terrorists and an "appeaser," or apologize for your remarks about Pelosi. Otherwise, your hypocrisy is shining bright.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
Pelosi wants to be what she isn't,...Sec of State! She needs to know her role in government and do HER job for what we the tax payers are paying for,...not some puppet show flying around the world. She is Evil.:redhot:
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:47 AM   #7
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

DETMURDS,

That's not the point. As I said, the criticism you are talking about is warranted, but I also recall you saying that those who speak with the enemy are "appeasers" and as bad as terrorists. You said that the US government should not talk with Syria, period.

If Bill Clinton was still president and his Sec. of State was speaking with Syria you would call the Clinton admin. a bunch of terrorists.

That's the problem with politics today (on both sides). The same action is called treason when the opposite party does it, but heroic when your party does it. Most people are guilty of this, including myself at times.

Honestly, this has to stop.

Think Fresh.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Fresh, Ms. Pelosi said she brought a message from the Israelis to Syria. She did not. She was acting as a private citizen, going to Syria on an unsanctioned trip. She was representing no one other than herself, acting in no official manner.
Ms. Rice was acting as an agent of the administration. Her trip was sanctioned and she was doing her job.
No hypocrisy.

Catman
Old 05-04-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Fresh, Ms. Pelosi said she brought a message from the Israelis to Syria. She did not. She was acting as a private citizen, going to Syria on an unsanctioned trip. She was representing no one other than herself, acting in no official manner.
Ms. Rice was acting as an agent of the administration. Her trip was sanctioned and she was doing her job.
No hypocrisy.
You would be correct, if that was my point. I have conceded that point, move on to the point I am trying to make.

Take a look at what grizzle said, maybe then you will understand it. If you called Pelosi out for treason, you are a hypocrit. I don't believe you did, but I know DETMURDS did.

Answer this, if someone from the right said, "members of the US government shouldn't talk to those who aid terrorists," they should codemn the administration, since they are doing exactly that.

I think this may be over your head catman, run along to a different thread.

Grizzle recognizes the hypocrisy, why can't you?

Think Fresh.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:22 AM   #10
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

There may be hypocrisy from some on the right, but not everyone. What Ms. Pelosi did was improper, if she passed herself off as an agent of the Government. Here is a story about her trip: http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull
If she did, indeed, lie to the Syrians, she did nothing to improve relations between our countries.

Catman
Old 05-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #11
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
There may be hypocrisy from some on the right, but not everyone.
Ok, we agree. Thank you.

Think Fresh.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:46 AM   #12
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Anyone else here bothered by what went down when President Bush visited Albania last week?

It reminded me of Nixon's 1972 visit to Red China - which prompted Hubert Humphrey to scoff, "Why if I'd done that, they'd have called me a Communist."

What if John Kerry had won the 2004 election, and President Kerry went to Albania to champion the cause of the Muslim terrorist Kosovo Liberation Army - which has the full and complete backing of al Qaeda - and to do so within a month after the Fort Dix plot was exposed?

FOX News and the Weekly Standard would have been calling Kerry a traitor, non-stop.

How can we fight Islamic extremism in the Middle East while supporting it in the Balkans? It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that Kosovo doesn't have any oil, could it?

How anyone can think that Nancy Pelosi's trip to Syria was "treasonous" while this is not, is beyond me.

Last edited by Anthony; 06-13-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #13
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Anyone else here bothered by what went down when President Bush visited Albania last week?

It reminded me of Nixon's 1972 visit to Red China - which prompted Hubert Humphrey to scoff, "Why if I'd done that, they'd have called me a Communist."

What if John Kerry had won the 2004 election, and President Kerry went to Albania to champion the cause of the Muslim terrorist Kosovo Liberation Army - which has the full and complete backing of al Qaeda - and to do so within a month after the Fort Dix plot was exposed?

FOX News and the Weekly Standard would have been calling Kerry a traitor, non-stop.

How can we fight Islamic extremism in the Middle East while supporting it in the Balkans? It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that Kosovo doesn't have any oil, could it?

How anyone can think that Nancy Pelosi's trip to Syria was "treasonous" while this is not, is beyond me.

My vote for post of the day...thanks Anthony
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:37 AM   #14
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

Well, the right will say that she is not in a possition to be a diplomat, she has no place speaking with foreign leaders. Of course this is bull ****, but I am just telling you what they will say.

As for the Bush trip, you are correct, if any Democratic president did this Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, and DETMURDS would be calling for his impeachment. Bush does it, and he is "defending freedom."

Think Fresh.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #15
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

One is not part of the president's administration,...she has no say in foreign policy by travelling around the world to do so,...the other is an elected official as our president,....suck it up,....he is our KING for now!

God Bless You!
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote