Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 07-16-2004, 06:04 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default K-Mart jumps ship, joins Nuggets

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...C-DT9705204233

The Nuggets are an exciting, up-and-coming team, but I think K-Mart benefited so much from Jason Kidd, and they had something going in NJ. Who knows if Kidd will now request a trade.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 06:26 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Andre Miller is not a bad PG though. Martin should fit in quite nicely in Denver. Since they still have Nene and Carmelo he probably will not draw too many double teams. Denver gave up too much to get him though. It was debatable whether the guy was worth a max contract, but three number ones on top of that? Seems a little steep.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 11:10 PM   #3
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Yea, Marc, you hit it exactly, Denver is an up and coming team, should have kept Jameer Nelson though, and Martin might be the peice that could see them contending in the West.

The Nuggets are putting together their team very nicely. A couple years ago people wondered what exactly their aim was. They've made a lot of moves, shuffled a lot of peices and made some questionable draft moves. Carmelo falling into their lap was probably the biggest thing to help them out.

Anyway, as for this specifically, I don't think Martin is worth a max contract either, and the draft picks ARE steep. This could fall into the questionable move category, but, K-Mart should slip in nicely and when you have specific needs, you have to overpay sometimes.

Besides, the picks don't really mean much to them.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 11:18 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

But, then again if K-Mart turns out to be the guy who puts Denver over the top then they look like geniuses. You are right the picks are pretty expendible to the Nuggets only one of the three picks is actually their own the other two are coming from the Clippers and the Nuggets. They had six number ones over the next three years before this deal so it is pretty much gravy for the Nuggets.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:49 AM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

What about Nene though? I still say Nene was developing fine and would overtake Martin in status. I don't like this move for Denver. Nene is too good to be a backup.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 11:05 AM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The early word is Camby is going to be the odd man out and the Nuggets are going to try Nene at Center. Then there could be the possibility of trying Carmelo out at SG and use a big lineup of Miller, Anthony, Camby, Nene, and Martin. I would not be surprised to see that lineup on the floor during parts of next season.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:30 PM   #7
Ian
Rookie Player

Ian is on a distinguished road

Perhaps, but probably not starting.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 07:58 PM   #8
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Nice to see Denver go from laughingstock to very respectable.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 10:18 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Why did they re-sign Camby then? He too was a free agent and Denver took care of him very quickly. Ok, so maybe Camby doesn't start. Still, the Nuggets could use help at the 2, why not trade Camby for a 2? I like your lineup doublee, pretty impressive with size there. If they keep Camby, that would be a pretty tough team every night.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:52 AM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

You know that is a good question I was kind of wondering the same myself. I know they had reached a deal in principal before getting K-Mart. Maybe after the Boozer fiasco in Cleveland they felt it more prudent to keep their word to Camby. They may have been better off going after Q than re-signing Camby though. I know they had Richardson in, but never made him an offer.

That is kind of why I am wondering if they are thinking about moving 'Melo to the 2 spot. Once he gets the jumper up to par he could probably be a good SG. That lineup has pretty good size and Camby and Martin are fairly athletic guys for their size. The only problem with that lineup is it lacks consistent perimeter firepower. Miller has yet to show he is going to develop an NBA jumper and Anthony still has some work to do there as well.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:18 PM   #11
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

Bad for NJ and good for Denver. Denver will be an upcoming team no doubt. K-Mart will still get eaten up alive by Duncan and Garnett.
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 01:52 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I don't know he held his own against Minnesota last year averaging 14.5 ppg and 9 rpg while shooting .583 from the field. He did not score well against the Spurs, but he still averaged 10.5 rpg and 3 bpg. He held Garnett to 20.5 ppg and 7 rpg, below his season averages of 24.2 and 13.9. Duncan had his way on offense against NJ, but I think Martin will do okay. New Jersey had no where near the depth Denver now has in the post. The Nuggets have Camby who was 10th in rebounding and 5th in shot blocking last year and Nene whom many experts think is on his way to being a stud in the low post. New Jersey's interior game started and ended with K-Mart. I'll take playing with Nene and Camby over Aaron and Williams and Jason Collins any day. Martin will not have to guard KG and Duncan all by himself like he did in NJ.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:26 PM   #13
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Miller, Anthony, Camby, Nene, and Martin

I definitely saw this as their starting five for next season. K-Mart has shown the ablity to adapt his game during certain points of the past few seasons. Something people didn't think Martin was capable of doing. He was thought to be a very one dimensional player. But he can hold his own on defense now.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 10:12 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Yeah Doug, but what about the old noggin? The guy isn't exactly stable. K-Mart is a big risk in my mind. Again, with Nene, I don't understand giving that kind of money to Martin when you could have got a 2 ( like Q) or bench depth. It's not like Denver is winning the title THIS year. Why not wait for later free agents and have these young guys get more seasoning? Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:02 AM   #15
edgar109
U-C-O-N-N

edgar109 is on a distinguished road

And dont forget in two year they will have to pay the MAX to Melo. I hope there plans are in order, because the have big contracts with three players already.
edgar109 is offline   Reply With Quote