Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #16
Jaguar Rick
rick in nc

Jaguar Rick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG Babe 28 View Post
After watching that game last night the feeling in the air seemed to be that Favre will be throwing in the towel and retiring. I had thought that he would definitely be back next season in hopes to make a play off run and possibly even make it to the SB. But after seeing how emotional he was there was a sense of finality to it all. I LOVE Favre I think he is the best QB in the game. Next season will be truly sad with out the great Favre playing. So is it really over???
Hey Babe, I don't think Favre will really retire. As much as he enjoys playing, I think he will be back. He looks healthy, and he can surely break some of the records Marino holds if he returns. He is great to watch and will be missed IF he retires. I hope to see him back for at least 1 more season.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #17
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Call this my BIGGEST CONSPIRACY THEORY FOR 2007...

Brett wants to retire but....Synder purchases Favre's contract from Green Bay and Brett is signed to Washington Redskins in 2007 as QB for $50 million...

Old 01-02-2007, 11:32 AM   #18
AmpleSound
Grizzled Veteran

AmpleSound is on a distinguished road

LOL, that's quite a conspiracy... Don't hold your breath for that one. Favre wants to retire as a Packer, money isn't an option, but that is quite hilarious!

I would definately like to see him play one more year, heck five more would be great lol...

Last edited by AmpleSound; 01-02-2007 at 11:33 AM. Reason: side note...
AmpleSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #19
bearsr4real
i urlacher. i confused.

bearsr4real is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post

Appreciate, hand out accolades, etc., but it's ridiculous to hear a self-proclaimed "rabid" Bear fan tie a loss to his story line...
i guess i missed the part where sunday night's game meant ANYTHING to the bears. OBVIOUSLY if it would have been an important game, i would have cared whether or not we won. and sorry, dude, i'm not trying to "get out" of anything. i stand by what i said and it still comes down to the fact you just don't have the depth of thought i do, buddy. nothing personal, just the facts. and i won't even respond to your fair-weather fan comment, i'm not taking the bait on that b.s.
bearsr4real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #20
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsr4real View Post
i guess i missed the part where sunday night's game meant ANYTHING to the bears. OBVIOUSLY if it would have been an important game, i would have cared whether or not we won.
Taking this from nothing but a football point instead of letting this get into a flame session:

1st off, it really has nothing to do with if it was important at all. I guess I'm old school where you don't have any reason at all to want your opponent to win or believe they deserve to beat your team.

& back to important... In a football view... yea, it was.

You've got a top seed in the NFC playing like the weakest seed. It was important to see if Grossman was going to maintain any consistency & he fell on his face. You wanted to see if the OL was going to keep a rythm on pass protection & they were out of sync & porous.

You wanted to see if the DL was going to muster any kind of pass rush which has been getting weaker every week & they let Favre set up a Lazy Boy recliner & throw to his heart's content. You wondered if the secondary would tighten up & not allow a ton of passing yards, marches up & down the field, & a ton of points like they have the last few weeks & they were a sieve.

You hoped STs would get over their penchant of giving up chunks of yards as of late but they still did. You prayed that Hester wouldn't regress back to his "Bobby Wade" impersonation but he continued his decline...

So at this stage, those are the major concerns that most Bear fans see that very well could translate to a 1 & gone playoffs for the Bears. Maybe since I have such a "depth of thought" about Bear football made me react a bit strongly to a "rabid Bear fan's" thread posted right after the game with the Bear corpses not even cooled, about a deserving loss to #4.

Since you're new, go back to archived threads for my posts that gave respect & accolades to #4 or go to the Bear site for more for "depth". It's got nothing to do with Favre but a conflict in posting. We didn't deserve to lose & this game was important....nothing more...

Quote:
and sorry, dude, i'm not trying to "get out" of anything. i stand by what i said and it still comes down to the fact you just don't have the depth of thought i do, buddy. nothing personal, just the facts. and i won't even respond to your fair-weather fan comment, i'm not taking the bait on that b.s.
& you're right...nothing personal. I reacted a bit strongly right after a loss. Probably should have kept my mouth shut to be honest. You stand by what you said & I'll stand by mine & we'll put this thread to bed between us. Fair enough...

Last edited by Tarkus; 01-02-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:31 PM   #21
grifter
Skateboarding thug, Baby!

grifter is on a distinguished road

I think favre will be back next year............if the Packers Brass tells him and shows him that they are going to upgrade the offensive weapons for him. A TE, WR, and maybe another RB depending on Green. If they do that then he'll be back. He still has another yr or two left in his body and still wants to play, only if he thinks they have a honest shot.

I played golf once. While everyone else was trying to hit holes in one, I hit a person. Let me tell ya that was so much more fun. I didn't know you were supposed to yell Four, I was to busy mumbling "I'm gonna miss him, alittle bit more to the left"
grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:36 PM   #22
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure. I think he'll see how he feels in April or May and make his decision then. He'll probably not say much about it this time.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #23
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

There will not be a prolonged uncertain period like last year, catman. I recall Favre reportedly being this way last year, too, though not really on camera like this. Give him a month or so. I think he'll be back because he's encouraged this team finished winning four in a row. A few more players, and they're a playoff team.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:02 AM   #24
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Yea, word is that he is not going to drag it out like he did last year. Everyone ive heard so far say that he is going to make a decision fairly quickly.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:08 AM   #25
NYG Babe 28
Dear Abby of Sports

Location: Originally NY, Temporarily San Diego but moving to Boston!
NYG Babe 28 is on a distinguished road

He said on the new that he was going to let everyone know in the next couple weeks. It will be interesting to see. What if he announces he is retiring do you think he may reconsider later in the off season and decide to come back? I think he definitely could come back for at least 1 more year and if they upgrade on receivers they can definitely be an SB contender for next year. I mean they already beat the Bears this year Ok Bears fans don't get your panties in a bundle.... they beat you.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:04 AM   #26
bearsr4real
i urlacher. i confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post

& you're right...nothing personal. I reacted a bit strongly right after a loss. Probably should have kept my mouth shut to be honest. You stand by what you said & I'll stand by mine & we'll put this thread to bed between us. Fair enough...
i never felt it was anything personal. you don't know me so it's not like you know my affiliations, so i let that stuff slide off. it was nothing more than a disagreement to me. i just have a different perspective, and certainly the "depth of thought" comment was a little harsh, and as you demonstrated, you certainly were watching the same game i was. i just saw it differently.

1) what happens when the bears have a bad loss? it tends to motivate. in fact, after both previous losses, we went on to big wins. the second loss prompted a four game winning streak. a loss makes these guys hungry, and having two weeks of a crappy taste on your tongue is going to make you hungry for the taste of victory. i'll avoid the bear-like appetite pun. you're welcome.

2) lovie is a brilliant coach. i hope we agree on this. he's not going to let rex air it out and become wrecks in the playoffs. he'll play it smart and run a lot. which, i'm sure you noticed, we did well against the packers.

3) NO ONE GOT HURT. and man, is that important. when the score at the end doesn't make a difference to your playoff position, i consider that a win.

4) being exposed has done something for the bears this year. their defense has been pretty good about being flexible despite injury, and only once has BOTH the D and the O let us down simultaneously. against miami, when i think we NEEDED a loss to wake us up. and please, don't start in on me about feeling "okay" about a loss. i don't believe a perfect season will EVER happen in the modern NFL and fully expect my team to drop a game or two during the season. sometimes a loss (especially early on) can motivate a team to soar to new heights (do i even have to mention the steelers of last year?)

5) plus, i truly believe we'll be playing the Giants, and (honestly, not factoring the regular season meeting) i think we match up with them very well. even with tiki on a tear, i think we can slow him down enough to win this game and get to the nfc championship. i'm not sure who we'll play then...

6) perspective, my man. perspective. let's say, hypothetically, we clobbered the packers in a (come on, mostly) meaningless game and favre throw 4 picks. do you HONESTLY think THAT'S how favre is gonna let himself go out? hahahaha. no, my friend. last night basically SEALED his retirement in my eyes. all that other talk of "deserving it" is just paying homage to a guy i'm finally allowed to like because he'll FINALLY BE GONE. and a meaningless loss in week 17 is a small price to pay for #4 to say goodbye.

it's all in our respective perspectives. feel free to use that later ; )
Old 01-03-2007, 02:18 AM   #27
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Since this is a Favre thread, I won't hijack it anymore... ... but good points.

I'm sure we'll start a Bear thread soon where we can throw out a few more thoughts..
Old 01-03-2007, 02:21 AM   #28
bearsr4real
i urlacher. i confused.

wow, i didn't know these things had pictures. you look burly, tarkus
Old 01-03-2007, 02:23 AM   #29
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

:lol:

Like any Bear, I eat a lot of red meat...
Old 01-03-2007, 03:09 AM   #30
bearsr4real
i urlacher. i confused.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAA

you're alright in my book man.