Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-05-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough
Default bold predictions

One (at least moderately) bold prediction for each division:

1] The Bengals will finish under .500.

2] The Jaguars will win the AFC South.

3] The Patriots will start the season so shaky that they barely make the playoffs.

4] Denver will finish under .500 and third in the AFC West.

5] Green Bay will finish last in the NFC North.

6] Either Jake Delhomme will play well, and Carolina will win its division, or Delhomme will play poorly and be benched for David Carr by Thanksgiving.

7] Philadelphia will win the NFC East in a runaway. Unless Donovan McNabb gets hurt early in the season, in which case Philly misses the postseason altogether and Dallas wins the division.

8] Shaun Alexander averages under 4 yards per carry, and the Seahawks win the NFC West anyway. Everyone's talking about a changing of the guard, but Seattle hangs on for another season.

AFC Division winners: Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, New England, San Diego
AFC Wild Cards: Indianapolis, Jets
NFC Division winners: Chicago, Carolina, Philadelphia, Seattle
NFC Wild Cards: New Orleans, Dallas

AFC Playoffs

STEELERS over Jets, PATRIOTS over Colts
CHARGERS over Patriots, Steelers over JAGUARS
CHARGERS over Steelers

NFC Playoffs

BEARS over Cowboys, SEAHAWKS over Saints
EAGLES over Seahawks, PANTHERS over Bears
Panthers over EAGLES

Super Bowl

The NFC is hopelessly outclassed again this year.
Chargers over Panthers
Congratulations, Norv.

I know some of these predictions seem more likely than others, but if picking Norv Turner to win a Super Bowl doesn't qualify as bold, I don't know what does. :lol:

My backup Super Bowl picks -- I know picking backups is not bold, but my choices will be -- are Pittsburgh and Jacksonville, teams a lot of people don't even expect to make the playoffs. Followed, I guess, by the Pats and Colts, but everyone is picking them. I'll put the Eagles sixth in line, and stop before I get to a quarter of the league.

Seriously, though, take it to -- well, maybe not the bank, but at least show off to your friends and tell them you called it before the season:

* The Bengals will be mediocre-to-bad.
* The Colts have lost too many people, and the Jags have a great defense and tons of young talent. The Leftwich thing threw me, too, but I still think they'll do it.
* The Jets and Bills will give New England a serious run for its money.
* Denver is not a contender. Look for problems on defense, in particular.
* Green Bay is not a contender. Neither is anyone else in the NFC North.
* The Saints cannot repeat last year's success. If they win the division, it's only because the NFC South is terrible.
* Dallas, Washington, and the Giants are not ready to contend. The NFC East is Philly's for the taking.
* The Cardinals and Niners are a year away.
* San Diego has too much talent not to succeed, regardless of the coaching staff.
* Watch out for Pittsburgh, especially late in the season.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad O.
The Cardinals and Niners are a year away.
A year away from...winning the NFC West?

or

A year away from...being an actual contender and a threat?

The two are vastly different, and while I think Seattle will win the division, I would not be surprised to see San Francisco sneak into the top spot in the West.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The Bengals will finish under .500.
The Bengals will be mediocre-to-bad.
Do you have any information or reasoning behind this retarded prediction?

Carson Palmer is finally healthy and they are returning 10 of 11 starters on offense.

They have gained speed and experience on defense...

I am guessing you live in Pittsburgh?

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
grizzle_810
All-Star Player

grizzle_810 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
A year away from...winning the NFC West?

or

A year away from...being an actual contender and a threat?

The two are vastly different, and while I think Seattle will win the division, I would not be surprised to see San Francisco sneak into the top spot in the West.
yeah. the niners almost made it in last year. and beat the seahawks, too!
Old 09-05-2007, 01:23 PM   #5
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Toby: I meant winning the NFC West.

Toby and grizzle: Yeah, the Niners have a shot. I'll be interested to see how the offense looks without Norv. Don't misinterpret this as me thinking the Seahawks are good. I just don't think the rest of the division will be particularly good this season, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post

Carson Palmer is finally healthy and they are returning 10 of 11 starters on offense.

Hmm. I see you live in Cincinnati, and apparently you like the Bengals, but personal attacks ("retarded") and accusations of bias (I've never even been to Pittsburgh) are not called for.

My reasoning is that the Bengals play in what seems right now like the league's toughest division (though their out-of-conference games, against the NFC West, look pretty soft) and HAVE NO DEFENSE.

The line is Justin Smith and a bunch of nobodies.
Their best linebacker who's allowed to play this season signed less than two weeks ago.
Their secondary looks like the strongest unit on defense, and it's just okay.

Furthermore, offensive line has become a question mark, and the team has no depth at any position, except maybe WR once Chris Henry's suspension is over. This team is very vulnerable to injuries, and if someone important -- Palmer, Rudi, Willie Anderson, starting wideouts, J.Smith -- goes down, I don't see how the Bengals can finish with a winning record.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not predicting 4-12 or anything. 7-9 sounds about right. When you have a top-10 offense and a bottom-five defense, a little below .500 is about where you'd expect a team to finish, especially in the AFC.

Having said all of that, these predictions are meant to be a little risky, and if ALL of them come true, f-ing Sports Illustrated had better call about hiring me.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Those are bold predictions my friend.

1] The Bengals will finish under .500.-(No way Jose. Will win their division.)

2] The Jaguars will win the AFC South.-(No way Jose).

3] The Patriots will start the season so shaky that they barely make the playoffs.-No way Jose

4] Denver will finish under .500 and third in the AFC West.-(Not going to happen).

5] Green Bay will finish last in the NFC North.-( I agree here)

6] Either Jake Delhomme will play well, and Carolina will win its division, or Delhomme will play poorly and be benched for David Carr by Thanksgiving.-(David Carr will take over by third game of the season.)

7] Philadelphia will win the NFC East in a runaway. Unless Donovan McNabb gets hurt early in the season, in which case Philly misses the postseason altogether and Dallas wins the division.-(Dallas will win this division hands down)

8] Shaun Alexander averages under 4 yards per carry, and the Seahawks win the NFC West anyway. Everyone's talking about a changing of the guard, but Seattle hangs on for another season.(Alexander will rush for 1,300 yards and average 4.7 yards per carry.)

AFC Division winners: Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, New England, San Diego(Cincinnati,Indianapolis,New England, San Diego)
AFC Wild Cards: Indianapolis, Jets-(NY Jets and Baltimore)
NFC Division winners: Chicago, Carolina, Philadelphia, Seattle(Detroit,New Orleans,Dallas and Arizona)
NFC Wild Cards Seattle and Carolina)

SUPER BOWL-New Orleans over New England
Old 09-06-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad O. View Post
Toby: I meant winning the NFC West.

Toby and grizzle: Yeah, the Niners have a shot. I'll be interested to see how the offense looks without Norv. Don't misinterpret this as me thinking the Seahawks are good. I just don't think the rest of the division will be particularly good this season, either.

Hmm. I see you live in Cincinnati, and apparently you like the Bengals, but personal attacks ("retarded") and accusations of bias (I've never even been to Pittsburgh) are not called for.

My reasoning is that the Bengals play in what seems right now like the league's toughest division (though their out-of-conference games, against the NFC West, look pretty soft) and HAVE NO DEFENSE.

The line is Justin Smith and a bunch of nobodies.
Their best linebacker who's allowed to play this season signed less than two weeks ago.
Their secondary looks like the strongest unit on defense, and it's just okay.

Furthermore, offensive line has become a question mark, and the team has no depth at any position, except maybe WR once Chris Henry's suspension is over. This team is very vulnerable to injuries, and if someone important -- Palmer, Rudi, Willie Anderson, starting wideouts, J.Smith -- goes down, I don't see how the Bengals can finish with a winning record.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not predicting 4-12 or anything. 7-9 sounds about right. When you have a top-10 offense and a bottom-five defense, a little below .500 is about where you'd expect a team to finish, especially in the AFC.

Having said all of that, these predictions are meant to be a little risky, and if ALL of them come true, f-ing Sports Illustrated had better call about hiring me.
First off, Justin Smith didn't even lead the team in sacks last season. Robert Geathers had 10.5 sacks and he didn't even start. Mike Myers (from Denver) had a grreat pre-season and is hardly a "nobody." Domato Peko is a young stud, and I promise you will know his name by the end of this season.

The defense overall is average. They've improved from last season, gaining both speed and experience. The will finish in the top half of the NFL in terms of defensive statistics, the offense will be top 5. The equals a 12 win season....:thumbup:

Think Fresh.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
Jeff Levers
Coach Levers

Jeff Levers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
First off, Justin Smith didn't even lead the team in sacks last season. Robert Geathers had 10.5 sacks and he didn't even start. Mike Myers (from Denver) had a grreat pre-season and is hardly a "nobody." Domato Peko is a young stud, and I promise you will know his name by the end of this season.

The defense overall is average. They've improved from last season, gaining both speed and experience. The will finish in the top half of the NFL in terms of defensive statistics, the offense will be top 5. The equals a 12 win season....:thumbup:
Something tells me Philly and Dallas fans would disagree with that prediction CKFresh.

Dallas was 5th on offense, 13th on defense, and that led to 9 wins.

Philly was 2nd on offense, 15th on defense, and that led to 10 wins.

That said, I seriously doubt Cincinnati goes from 30th last year to the top 16 this year.

Gator fan on the UF-OSU basketball game intro
Jeff Levers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Levers View Post
Something tells me Philly and Dallas fans would disagree with that prediction CKFresh.

Dallas was 5th on offense, 13th on defense, and that led to 9 wins.

Philly was 2nd on offense, 15th on defense, and that led to 10 wins.

That said, I seriously doubt Cincinnati goes from 30th last year to the top 16 this year.
I think when you say "5th" on offense you are talking NFC, yes? Or are those NFL ranks?

In terms of SCORING Defense (how many point you give up) the Bengals where in the top 16 in the NFL. That is the only stat that matters in my book. They bend but don't break. Gave up a lot of yard, but not many points.

Moreover, I'll take Cincy's offense any day over Dallas or Philly...

Think Fresh.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #10
Jeff Levers
Coach Levers

Jeff Levers is on a distinguished road

That was from NFL.com, looking at the overall stats for offense and defense in the NFL as they list them.

Gator fan on the UF-OSU basketball game intro
Jeff Levers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:40 AM   #11
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Hey ... I'm the only one who makes retarded predictions around here, at least according to some people - like when I picked the Eagles to go 7-9 in 2005? (It turns out that I wasn't bold enough - they finished 6-10).

And you know there was a line in one of the Marx Brothers movies that went, "He's lived in Pittsburgh all his life - if you can call that living."

But if you like disputing other people's predictions, why don't you lay it on the line on a weekly basis by participating in either or both of our contests here? And tell your conservative friends (?) about them too - wouldn't you just love to win any kind of argument with catman and/or DETMURDS?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:06 AM   #12
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Hey ... I'm the only one who makes retarded predictions around here, at least according to some people - like when I picked the Eagles to go 7-9 in 2005? (It turns out that I wasn't bold enough - they finished 6-10).

And you know there was a line in one of the Marx Brothers movies that went, "He's lived in Pittsburgh all his life - if you can call that living."

But if you like disputing other people's predictions, why don't you lay it on the line on a weekly basis by participating in either or both of our contests here? And tell your conservative friends (?) about them too - wouldn't you just love to win any kind of argument with catman and/or DETMURDS?
LOL, I guess so Anthony. I will check it out.

Think Fresh.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #13
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:

3] The Patriots will start the season so shaky that they barely make the playoffs.

6] Either Jake Delhomme will play well, and Carolina will win its division, or Delhomme will play poorly and be benched for David Carr by Thanksgiving.

7] Philadelphia will win the NFC East in a runaway. Unless Donovan McNabb gets hurt early in the season, in which case Philly misses the postseason altogether and Dallas wins the division.

8] Shaun Alexander averages under 4 yards per carry, and the Seahawks win the NFC West anyway. Everyone's talking about a changing of the guard, but Seattle hangs on for another season.

1] The Bengals have only finished over .500 once in the last 16 years, so I can't argue too strenuously here, even though I've already picked them to win 10 this season.

2] If David Garrard finishes ahead of Peyton Manning, Tony Dungy should be fired.

3] If the Patriots exhibit any shakiness, it will be at the end of the season, not at the beginning - because what figures to be an extremely pass-happy, vertical offense may not function as efficiently once the weather and field conditions start to deteriorate.

4] That would require Mike Shanahan to finish behind Norv Turner and/or Lane Kiffin - aka the new David Shula - in which case Shanahan should be fired.

5] If Tarvaris Jackson finishes ahead of Brett Favre - or even Aaron Rodgers - Mike McCarthy should be fired.

6] Heaven help the Panthers if you're right and Delhomme doesn't play well, given Carr's .293 lifetime winning percentage as a starter - the worst among all active NFL quarterbacks with 20 or more starts.

7] If you quantify talent the way most pre-season magazines (Street & Smith's, etc.) do - by giving each unit on both offense and defense some sort of grade and then simply adding all of the grades up - that would appear to be the case; but the combination of a dink-and-dunk offense and a tiny front seven on defense are going to do the same thing to the Eagles that the combination of alcohol and Valium did to Karen Ann Quinlan: Because they won't score 20 points a game - and I predict that the Eagles won't average 20 points a game this season - everybody's going to rip their defense to shreds by running right at it, up the middle. And it should be interesting to see what happens first: McNabb getting his block knocked off by a blitzing linebacker, or Joey Harrington getting benched in favor of Chris Redman. I say either or both is likely to have happened by Halloween.

8] Well Shaun Alexander isn't getting any younger, or any healthier, so that's not impossible.

Last edited by Anthony; 09-09-2007 at 03:18 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #14
OchoCinco#85
Rookie Player

OchoCinco#85 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

AFC Playoffs

CHARGERS over Steelers

NFC Playoffs

Panthers over EAGLES

Super Bowl

Chargers over Panthers
Congratulations, Norv.

I know some of these predictions seem more likely than others, but if picking Norv Turner to win a Super Bowl doesn't qualify as bold, I don't know what does. :lol:

My backup Super Bowl picks -- I know picking backups is not bold, but my choices will be -- are Pittsburgh and Jacksonville, teams a lot of people don't even expect to make the playoffs. Followed, I guess, by the Pats and Colts, but everyone is picking them. I'll put the Eagles sixth in line, and stop before I get to a quarter of the league.

Seriously, though, take it to -- well, maybe not the bank, but at least show off to your friends and tell them you called it before the season:

* The Bengals will be mediocre-to-bad.
* The Colts have lost too many people, and the Jags have a great defense and tons of young talent. The Leftwich thing threw me, too, but I still think they'll do it.
* The Jets and Bills will give New England a serious run for its money.
* Denver is not a contender. Look for problems on defense, in particular.
* Green Bay is not a contender. Neither is anyone else in the NFC North.
* The Saints cannot repeat last year's success. If they win the division, it's only because the NFC South is terrible.
* Dallas, Washington, and the Giants are not ready to contend. The NFC East is Philly's for the taking.
* The Cardinals and Niners are a year away.
* San Diego has too much talent not to succeed, regardless of the coaching staff.
* Watch out for Pittsburgh, especially late in the season.

First Off, Horrid Predictions

1. Bengals win a hard-fought 12 games (AFC North Champs)
2. Colts still the king in the AFC South
3. Patriots easily make Playoffs
4. Denever will surprise some people this year.
5. Green Bay won't finish last, but 2nd or 3rd (let Brett go out with a bang)
6. Agree but 3-4 games into the season, and Carr has a resurrection, and leads them to playoffs/
7. Dallas has the division hands down (and I hate Dallas)
8. Seahawks take the NFC west, barely with the 49ers clipping the heels.

AFC Division winners: Cincinnati, Colts, New England, San Diego
AFC Wild Cards: Jacksonville, Ravens
NFC Division winners: Chicago, Carolina, Dallas, Seattle
NFC Wild Cards: New Orleans, Eagles

AFC Playoffs

BENGALS over JAGS, PATRIOTS over Ravens
BENGALS over PATROITS, COLTS over CHARGERS
COLTS over BENGALS (as big of a Bengals fan I am, they can't beat Colts yet)

NFC Playoffs
SAINTS over COWBOYS, BEARS over EAGLES
BEARS over PANTHERS, SAINTS over SEAHAWKS
SAINTS over BEARS

SUPER BOWL

COLTS over SAINTS

Bengals have gotten faster and better on Defense, we have Brooks, Johnson, and Jenaty, Peko and Thorton on the line, Smith and Geathers at End
Joseph and O'Neal/Hall at Corner, with Williams and Jackson at safties with Marvin White and John Busing pushing for time.

Our Offense will be one of the best this year.
OchoCinco#85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #15
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Going to do a buy or sell for each of Brad's points here.

Quote:

Buy.

Quote:
This is so improbable that I wasn't sure you were being serious.

Quote:
I would have bought this, till I saw them today.

Quote:
I want to buy the first part, and sell the second. I just can't see how Oakland or KC can finish ahead of them. This division makes me gag.

Quote:
Sell. I know where you're coming from, but I believe neither in Marinelli/Martz nor Minnesota.

Quote:
Well, duh. This isn't a bold prediction, it's fence straddling. I say Carr is the starter by the end of October, though.

Quote:
I say buy, but I'm not sure why.

Quote:
Buy. This feels right to me. That's a defensively dreadful division, and the 'Hawks have that division's best. Should be all they need.

Quote:
yes, no, yes, yes. (Colts will win the AFC South. Maybe by the end of October.)
Quote:
Ravens, Bills
Quote:
yes, no, yes, yes. Weird. Same pattern as abov e. Saints win NFC South, but barely.
Quote:
Dallas, Niners

Quote:
AFC Playoffs

CHARGERS over Steelers
I think the Chargers are gone in the first round. If the rest of their division wasn't so abysmal looking, I don't think they'd get to the playoffs. Norv is a curse, plain and simple. They win the division almost by default.

Quote:
NFC Playoffs

Panthers over EAGLES
I don't agree with the path, but as long as McNabb remains healthy, I could see this result at the end of the year.

Quote:
Super Bowl

Chargers over Panthers
Congratulations, Norv.

I don't know if picking Norv to win a SB is bold or just a little stupid. Nothing personal intended. You're knowledgable enough about the league to know, not even deep down, that there's almost no chance that this can happen. Talent in this league is nothing if it's used improperly, as Norv will no doubt succeed in doing. Also, I'm just not convinced about their D.

Last edited by MountaineerDave; 09-09-2007 at 09:40 PM. Reason: fixing an omission, editing for clarity
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote