Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 08-12-2002, 06:48 PM   #1
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road
Talking No strike date set

Well, everybody thought that there would be a strike date set today. Well, the MLBPA surprised everybody and didn't set a strike date. They're saying they want to see what they can accomplish at the bargaining table and the players will meet again via conference call on Friday. This is a good sign for the negotiations. This doesn't mean there won't be a strike, but it backs up what I've been saying all along, the players don't want to strike and there probably won't be one. Still my opinion though.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 01:33 AM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I've been saying all season that there will not be a work stopage this season, so I am not surprised. It's all rumors and bargaining tactics, "setting" these "dates."
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 02:14 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

True, true -- it looks like a strike won't happen but nothing's for sure. I think both sides realize how this could devastate baseball so they are more leniant and willing to compromise, it seems to me. This is different in '94 where neither would budge. Both sides have already made agreements on several issues such as steroid testing.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 03:10 PM   #4
Brandon
is lurking...

This is an entirely different scene from 94. The players went on strike on August 11, 1994. You know the approxamite date of their first CBA discussion? November 11, 1994. This is a much more encouraging sign than 1994.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:12 PM   #5
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

...that's why I've been confused all along as to why people have been so worried. . . . . . . .
Old 08-13-2002, 04:15 PM   #6
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I mailed N.L. Union rep Tom Glavine just today telling him to help stop this greediness on the players part. I know it will do no good, but it helped me and my feelings. Listen to this, salaries have increased 46 fold since 1976. Yes 46 fold. Minimum salary is $200,000.00 Unreal. I told him I believe in capitalism and free enterprize, but not greedism. I told him to think about the fans and the vendors and stadium workers for a change. I ask him to be man enough to humble himself and tell everybody in a press conference the players are way out of line. Owners deserve to make as much as possible. That is why people open businesses. I just expect from an owner or employer to pay me a fair wage and some vacation time. Maybe a health insurance plan.

I told Glavine also that a lot of players say we need all this money because we might suffer a career ending injury. Ok so I told him they may have to get a regular job, maybe in sales, 7-Eleven(lol), shipyard worker, assembly worker and etc. A bad knee or arm won't prevent you from getting a regular job.

I just told him to get real. I told him I realize the owners did treat their players real bad with the reserve clause and not owning up to the money they offered a player(this mainly occured in the early 1900's) I study a lot about baseball history. Yes the players were abused but that was so many years ago.

Anyway like I said it will do no good writing him, but it helped me convey my feelings about the labor dispute.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:43 PM   #7
Brandon
is lurking...

Is there a list of player represenatives somewhere? I know quite a few, like Steve Karsay, Tom Glavine, Jarrod Washburn, and Mike Remlinger, but I would like to know who all is representing the players.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:24 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
...that's why I've been confused all along as to why people have been so worried. . . . . . . .
A work stoppage seemed much more likely a couple months ago before the sides made some agreements and had some productive meetings. There was far more uncertainty there so you can't blame fans for expecting this happen. The MLB seemed (seems) like the Titantic heading for an iceberg with a drunk man steering it (Bud Selig).
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 05:50 PM   #9
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Latest word is Aug 30th reported by ESPN.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:28 PM   #10
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

All I have to say to that is "remember how it was September 16.. then August 16... then August 12?"
Old 08-15-2002, 02:31 PM   #11
bostonsportsfan
Hall of Famer

bostonsportsfan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Brandon
Is there a list of player represenatives somewhere? I know quite a few, like Steve Karsay, Tom Glavine, Jarrod Washburn, and Mike Remlinger, but I would like to know who all is representing the players.
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ne...playerreps.jsp
bostonsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 03:47 PM   #12
Brandon
is lurking...

Thank you very much.