Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 06-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default Bloomberg Leaves GOP, Moves toward White House

Mayor Bloomberg of NYC is leaving the GOP. Most people speculate that this is his first move in a run at the white house in '08. If he runs as an independent, it will be interesting to see how this affects the election. On the surface it appears as though it would hurt the Republicans due to the fact that he was most recently a GOP member. However, his moderate views are much more in line with the Democratic party than the extremist positions of the republican party. Moderates and centrists seem to be overwhelmingly alligned with the Democrats right now, which means a moderate-independent in the race could hurt the Dems.

Your thoughts?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

He was a false Republican anyhow,..no loss,....WHO CARES!
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:19 PM   #3
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETMURDS View Post
He was a false Republican anyhow,..no loss,....WHO CARES!
You're right, he is way too moderate and not nearly extreme enough to be a republican. In order to be a "true republican" I guess you have to represent about 20% of the population's views, while ignoring the majority...:thumbdown:

Think Fresh.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:15 AM   #4
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Fresh, it sounds like you are describing the Democratic front-runners.
If Bloomberg isn't comortable with the Republican Party, he is welcome to leave it.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:55 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Personally I'd like to see Bloomberg settle for a vice-presidential bid - as Joe Lieberman's running mate!

And if Hillary somehow loses the Democratic nomination, I would give a Lieberman-Bloomberg ticket very real chances in a general election - especially if the Republicans implode over the immigration issue and a four-way race develops, or the Republican dissidents could join the Hillary Democrats in supporting Lieberman-Bloomberg.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Fresh, it sounds like you are describing the Democratic front-runners.
If Bloomberg isn't comortable with the Republican Party, he is welcome to leave it.
How do you figure? The majority of the public want us to leave Iraq, so do the Democrats. The majority of the public want federal funding for stem cells, so do the democrats. The majority of the public favor choice, so do the democrats.

The Democrats represent the majority on nearly every issue. The Republicans represent the very wealthy or the extremists Christians - 20% of the population at best. It just so happens that 20% has a lot of power.

Back to the subject...

If Bloomberg enters the race as an independednt it will hurt the Democrats. I still think the Dems would win, just not in the landslide that would occur without him. Moderates are behind the Democrats overwhelmingly at this point. Some might vote for an independent like Bloomberg, instead of settling for the lesser of two evils (people like Anthony I suppose). Either way, I can't imagine any situation where the Repubs take White House in '08 - unless California and New York disappear all of a sudden...

Think Fresh.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:19 AM   #7
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

What would be "evil" at all about either a Bloomberg candidacy, or the Lieberman-Bloomberg ticket that I have proposed?

Take it from a native New Yorker: Michael Bloomberg has been as much of a better mayor than Rudolph Giuliani as Joe Montana was a better quarterback than Jim Druckenmiller! Where Giuliani divided New Yorkers and intentionally inflamed passions (referring to the regrettable 1991 Crown Heights incident as a "pogrom"), Bloomberg has been a healer (as the Sean Bell affair graphically demonstrates). And comparing Bloomberg's job-creation record with Giuliani's is like comparing the latest Formula One racecar to a 1924 Rickenbacker.

Bloomberg is tough on crime and terrorism, fiscally prudent, and refreshingly tolerant on cultural issues. He and Joe Lieberman would make a totally awesome ticket.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:53 AM   #8
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
What would be "evil" at all about either a Bloomberg candidacy, or the Lieberman-Bloomberg ticket that I have proposed?
I didn't suggest that the ticket was "evil." In fact, I said that people like you are sick and tired of settling for the lesser of two evils and would find a thrid party or independent candidate refreshing.

My point in saying that was this: I'm not certain, but I'm guessing that if you had to pick Democrat or Republican in the future election, you would take Democrat. Bloomberg entering the race would most likely take your vote from the Democrats. I am simply trying to argue that Bloomberg would hurt the dems more than the Republicans.

Think Fresh.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #9
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

And I agree with that assessment, Fresh. A Michael Bloomberg candidacy would cause Democrats to spend a great deal of money to win New York, weakening their chances elsewhere.
A Lieberman/Bloomberg ticket would be refreshing, and give people a real option in the next election.

Catman
Old 06-22-2007, 11:14 AM   #10
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
And I agree with that assessment, Fresh. A Michael Bloomberg candidacy would cause Democrats to spend a great deal of money to win New York, weakening their chances elsewhere.
A Lieberman/Bloomberg ticket would be refreshing, and give people a real option in the next election.
Agreed. Not only New York, but elsewhere. States like my home state of Ohio aren't really "red" or "blue." People here are sick of Republicans but not in love with Democrats. Bloomberg would be a perfect alternative.

If the election comes around, and I think he has a chance, I might vote for him.

Think Fresh.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:30 PM   #11
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

But, they would only hurt the Dems,...not the Republicans,...and Nader is also talking about coming back as well,...that would be two Dem Killers!
Old 06-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #12
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETMURDS View Post
But, they would only hurt the Dems,...not the Republicans,...and Nader is also talking about coming back as well,...that would be two Dem Killers!
I think Nader is a non-issue at this point. People who voted for him are sick over it. They realize that they are the very reason we are stuck with the chimp we have in office and the quagmire we are involved with in Iraq. Nader should realize that he is hurting his country.

The Republicans will need all the help they can get, so Bloomberg could even up the race a bit. Right now it looks like this -

Support for Dems - leftists, and moderates.
Support for Reps - extreme Righties

if Bloomberg enters....

Support for Dems - leftists
Support for Reps - extreme Righties
Support for Bloomberg - Moderates

Think Fresh.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #13
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Fresh, I think you give Mr. Bloomberg entirely too much credit. He will hurt the Democrats in the Northeast, but will have little impact elsewhere. Many people west of Pennsylvannia do not even know who he is.
His candidacy will require the Democrats to use a lot of their financial resources to hold onto their base in New England, as that is the group that Bloomberg would appeal to most. Republicans will not be hurt by his candidacy.
As to Nader causing Gore to lose, that was the Democrats' fault, not Nader's. Had Gore won, the situation would have been different, not necessarily better, however. It is impossible to predict what would have happened.

Catman
Old 06-22-2007, 01:58 PM   #14
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Fresh, I think you give Mr. Bloomberg entirely too much credit. He will hurt the Democrats in the Northeast, but will have little impact elsewhere. Many people west of Pennsylvannia do not even know who he is.
His candidacy will require the Democrats to use a lot of their financial resources to hold onto their base in New England, as that is the group that Bloomberg would appeal to most. Republicans will not be hurt by his candidacy.
I think you are correct in assuming that his impact would be greatest in New England. But to assume that there would be NO affect in places like Ohio is a bit unrealistic. As I said, I know several people in my area who would love a moderate 3rd candidate to vote for. The slightest shift in support can change an entire election, especially when talking about a swing state like Ohio. Ohio could be determined by one or two percentage points. What if Ohio becomes the difference maker, and Bloomberg is able to get 3% in the state of Ohio. That could be enough to determine our next president.

I don't think the Dems have much to worry about in the Northeast. Bloomberg will have an impact of course, but I think they have a stong enough base in these states to overcome such things.

Quote:
As to Nader causing Gore to lose, that was the Democrats' fault, not Nader's. Had Gore won, the situation would have been different, not necessarily better, however. It is impossible to predict what would have happened.
Of course, but it is clear that Nader definately hurt the Dems, that's my only point. Yes it is impossible to predict accurately, but we can have fairly educated guesses as to how things would be different, that's all I'm saying. I should have prefaced it with, "In my opinion..."

Think Fresh.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:08 PM   #15
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

Quote:

Exactly,...and even though he was a fake Republican, they still voted in the REPUBLICAN in NYC! Many do that for that very reason,...the party they represent!

CKF,....How can more candidates be bad for the USA? Only communist or countries close to being communist have limited candidates,....how is Nader bad? Explain in better detail if you can?