Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 07-26-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road
Default Good Pick-up?

Its being rumored on NBA.com that the Mavericks might be releasing Michael Finley due to the amnesity provision in the new collective bargaining agreement. (what we talked about earlier with Brian Grant and the LA Lakers).

The front runners (supposedly, if Finley is released) are the Chicago Bulls. They are hoping that they can lure Finley to Chicago because he grew up there, played in their parks and also if they give him 2 Million a year.

Would Finley fit in in Chicago? Would he mess the flow that the Bulls had from a year ago? OR can he help the Bulls possibly make it to the Eastern Conference Finals?
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 12:45 PM   #2
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

If I was in the Bulls front office, I'd pass on Finley. While it remains to be seen if he has anything left in his tank, the thing that's not debatable is they already have several wing players who are younger, and as of last seaon, better. The Bulls need a big man more than a need an over-the-hill 2-guard.

Another team I've read is interested in picking up Finley is Phoenix. He was a fan favorite there before the Kidd trade, and I guess with Nash's success, their management feels lightning could strike twice. This might be an OK acquisition if Joe Johnson bolts, otherwise it'd be terrible.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:13 PM   #3
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

he might be a decent pickup for the Bulls... it all depends on the price. they could use a solid vet like him on their roster.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 02:20 PM   #4
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

The article I read played it up the Finley might be willing to go play in Chicago for $2 million per year since he'll already be getting about $50 million from Cuban over the next 3 years. While that sounds great from a PR standpoint, why would Finley not go somewhere (such as possibly Phoenix or Houston or San Antonio) that would give him a $5 million deal per year or something closer to his actual worth.

He's still a fine player. By no means a number one, or even a legit number two option, but certainly he could get a mid-level exception for around $5-7 million a season. He's only 32 and averaged 16ppg last year. That's down from a career 19ppg, but Finley can still run the floor, play a little D and certainly knock down the outside jumper.

It's nice to think he'd take a home-town discount, but I doubt it. Would give up $15-20 million over the next 3-4 years?
Old 07-26-2005, 08:14 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Actually, there is a lot of speculation that not too many guys are going to get released due to this amnesty clause as the only thing it provides is luxury tax relief and no cap relief and teams may not be so quick to cut a guy who is still somewhat productive if they still have to pay his salary and get no cap relief to sign a replacement out of the deal.

But, if Finley were to get cut loose I don't think Chicago would be a great fit. They already have Gordon and Deng sharing time at the two spot and Deng and Nocioni sharing time at the 3. Finley being there is going to take time away from one of those three guys and could upset the chemistry that Skiles so meticulously culled last seasons.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:06 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Finley was pretty much MIA for the Mavs in their last round. Lost in the talent pool of the Mavs or just lost in his career?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

I belive that he may be a good pickup for someone but not for the Bulls they have enough talented guards. He may be well suited going to denver they are in need of a 2 guard because Finley is better then Leonard.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:40 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I had read that the Pistons may be interested as well. They could use a veteran swingman off the bench to backup Hamilton and Prince. Lindsey Hunter and Ronald Dupree don't exactly strike fear in the hearts of opponents. At this stage of his career Finley is probably more suited to being a sixth man playing 28-33 mins instead of a starter getting 35-40 mins. Regardless of how he finished the postseason he is still a solid scorer and a consistent 3-point shooter.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:21 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Finley would be a great addition to the Pistons. They sorely need someone with size and scoring off the bench. Please do it, Dumars!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:23 PM   #10
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

Heat still have their mid-level exception. Finley would be a nice fit there too. Still has a great outside shot, and would be a nice upgrade over E Jones and could take Dooling's minutes plus some. But I guess they're rumored to be looking at Antoine Walker, which would be an even better pickup for them. I don't care how much depth the Pistons have, I can't see anyone except San Antonio competing with a starting five that includes Diesel, Flash and Toine.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:16 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

With Dooling jumping ship I'd say the Heat are probably more likely to look for another guy who can run the point. Damon Jones is really more of a shooter than he is a PG. I wonder how well Walker would fit in Miami. The only guy who probably has worse shot selection than Walker is AI. The Heat is good at picking its spots on offense and getting the high percentage shot. I have a feeling that Walker could hamper the offensive flow of that team with his penchant for chucking up horrible shots.