Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 09-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Week 5 Upsets

Talk about a shakeup in college football. Georgia falls to Alabama, and most surprising, Florida loses to Ole Miss! Bye bye Heisman, Tebow. Michigan surprises Wisconsin, Navy over Wake Forest...

What is your current top five? I think Oklahoma is the deserving No. 1.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

I'm still not as sold on Oklahoma and the Big 12 as most people seem to be. I'm starting to really doubt we see an undefeated Big 6 program for the second straight year. I just don't see a team head and shoulders above everyone else yet. If we're just going off current body of work, Alabama I would think is most deserving, but for some reason I can't help feeling they're an eventual 2-loss team.

Wisky blew one of the Big 10's two chances, and now the weight is on Penn State. Too bad for them their schedule works out that they have to go to Madison and Columbus--I just don't see both of those going their way at all. If I were a Penn St. fan, I would be happy with a split, and that might be enough for an outright or shared Big 10 title this year.

In summation: it's going to be a mess, and no one wins this year besides ESPN.

Last edited by Richard the Lionheart; 09-28-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Richard the Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I would agree that given the respective resumes Alabama is the most deserving team right now they have played the tougher schedule to-date. The Texas game coming up in two weeks will show us how good OU really is. OU has looked great thus far but they have not played anyone as of yet either.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:55 PM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard the Lionheart View Post
I'm still not as sold on Oklahoma and the Big 12 as most people seem to be. I'm starting to really doubt we see an undefeated Big 6 program for the second straight year. I just don't see a team head and shoulders above everyone else yet. If we're just going off current body of work, Alabama I would think is most deserving, but for some reason I can't help feeling they're an eventual 2-loss team.

Wisky blew one of the Big 10's two chances, and now the weight is on Penn State. Too bad for them their schedule works out that they have to go to Madison and Columbus--I just don't see both of those going their way at all. If I were a Penn St. fan, I would be happy with a split, and that might be enough for an outright or shared Big 10 title this year.

In summation: it's going to be a mess, and no one wins this year besides ESPN.
I agree, if PSU can split those two I would be very happy but I am beginning to believe that they can win both. But until how I see them play against Purdue, I'll still be skeptical of their ability to play well on the road. Despite the fact that Madison and Columbus are hostile environments, I think it's somewhat beneficial to PSU. They never look good during noon road kicks, sometimes 3:30 even.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Parity is alive and well in the NCAA

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Michigan winning at home is NEVER an upset especially when its opponent is 1-16 in The Big House since 1965.

Ole Miss owns Florida in Gainesville winning 2 of the last 3 meetings there not to mention the fact that the Rebs generally play the Gators tough regardless of the setting.

Georgia losing a home game to Bama really isn't an upset to get your undies in a bunch over. Bama plays 'em tough there and generally wins in Athens every other trip.

Navy over Wake is the only true upset on this list and it isn't THAT big.

Overall, just another media creation using point spreads and artifical rankings while the historical trends go ignored.

Top Ten...

1. Oklahoma
2. Utah
3. Missouri
4. South Florida
5. BYU
6. Alabama
7. Texas Tech
8. USC
9. LSU
10. Texas
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote