Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 02-19-2004, 08:41 AM   #1
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default Propoganda!!!

Webster's should change their definition of propoganda to www.nhlcbanews.com

This site is unreal. Every single stat and some obscure ones about how player salaries have rised, profits have not, and how player performance has decreased over the past 10 years is in this web site, put together by the NHL (notice "PA" is not on the end of that). They even have things in HTML, PDF, and PPT format!!

I think I am siding with the NHL on the CBA, but both sides have to be more open for something to get worked out. Player salaries are way too high. They should probably be paid more than any other player in any other sport because hockey is more physically draining than any other sport, but the popularity (revenue) of the NHL makes that impossible, and they should realize that.

Nevertheless, I hope the World Cup isn't the last pro hockey we see in North America.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 01:38 PM   #2
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

I don't know if you remember the CC during the Heritage Classic game, but then and there Grapes reassured that there would be no NHL lockout (the same CC, by the way, where he slammed Bob Nicholson and those stupid "Hockey Canada" ads).

But, his claims were that the board loves the game too much. Well, I sure hope so. With the way things are going, coming to a agreement looks highly unlikely. The NHLPA has to be creative here, but my personal feeling though is that something will be resolved in time and there WILL be hockey in 2004-2005.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 01:39 PM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Pre-season, if you remember, I said that they would solve it all too before it expired. Hopefully we are all right... but every day i get more and more weary.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:33 PM   #4
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

What a great website. Completly unbiased too.

I'm with the NHL 100% here. I think all players should make the same base salary and the rest is performance based.

I laugh when the players complain about having thier salaries restricted or even managed. Pissed me off "Ow... I ONLY make $3 mill a season..." boo-freaking-who!!!

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 08:15 PM   #5
rickcoyle
Grizzled Veteran

rickcoyle is on a distinguished road

I live in Pittsburgh which is the like the ghetto of hockey which means i am definitely for a change(salary cap, revinue sharing, etc) because I know that without some or all of those happening the penguins will migrate out Pittsburgh and go somewhere else. But that doesnt mean I dont see what the players are seeing. In '94 the owners said that they would not give in to the players and they were willing to have a lockout. If you remember though, the season was postponed in the beginning but the owners gave in let the players have what they want. Lets remember its not the players' fault for the NHL getting out of hand. After all it is the owners who are willing to pay exorbitant prices for these athletes. This year the players probably think the owners will bluff and then back down again. The owners lost all credibility by backing down in '94, and now, unfortunately, all hockey fans will most likely have to deal with a lockout.

"They hate to love me"
~Terrell Owens~
rickcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 02:03 PM   #6
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Very interesting SC. Thanks!