Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 09-18-2005, 07:03 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Writer Proposes New MLB Schedule Format

In the latest issue of American Health & Fitness Magazine, there is this article way in the back written by someone named Blair Anderson (has anyone here ever heard of him? I haven't). It contains a proposal to change baseball's regular-season schedule format, along NFL lines. An outline of the proposal follows.

First, the two leagues would need to be evened out by having one current National League team move to the American League (he recommends this be done by having the Astros move from the NL Central to the AL West). Then, with all three divisions in both leagues consisting of five teams each, here is how it works:

1. Intradivision Games: Each team plays its four division rivals 16 times, for 64 games.

2. Interdivision Games Within The Same League: A total of 80 games, apportioned on a "progressive" basis using the previous year's standings.

I. A first-place team plays the first-place teams in the other two divisions 12 times each, the second-place teams 10 times each, the third-place teams 8 times each, the fourth place teams 6 times each, and the fifth-place teams 4 times each.

II. A second-place team plays the first-place teams in the other two divisions 10 times each, the second-place teams 12 times each, the third-place teams 8 times each, the fourth-place teams 4 times each, and the fifth-place teams 6 times each.

III. A third-place team plays all 10 of the teams in the other two divisions 8 times each.

IV. A fourth-place team plays the first-place teams in the other two divisions 6 times each, the second-place teams 4 times each, the third-place teams 8 times each, the fourth-place teams 12 times each, and the fifth-place teams 10 times each.

V. A fifth-place team plays the first-place teams in the other two divisions 4 times each, the second-place teams 6 times each, the third-place teams 8 times each, the fourth-place teams 10 times each, and the fifth-place teams 12 times each.

3. Interleague Games: Each team plays 18 interleague games in all, with 6 of these games being against a "designated interleague rival" (Mets-Yankees, Dodgers-Angels, Cubs-White Sox etc.). In addition, each team plays 12 other interleague games, specifically 3 games each against four of the five teams from a division of the other league (the divisional assignments rotating from one year to the next). These games are apportioned on a "progressive" basis as well, since first- and fifth-place teams do not play each other, second- and fourth-place teams do not play each other, and third-place teams do not play each other. In years when the designated interleague rivals' divisions are scheduled to play each other, there would be 9 meetings between them instead of 6 unless any of the scenarios referred to in the previous sentence apply.

After reviewing this format, I've got some problems with it.

First and foremost, too many teams would play each other a number of times that is not evenly divisible by three. This would lead to too many two-game series, which the players' union (who would have to approve such a proposal) would be dead-set against.

Second, the format is more complicated than it needs to be [and coming from me, that's really saying something!:lol:], and it tilts the schedule a bit too much in favor of the lesser teams.

So I came up with this alternate plan, which addresses the above issues:

First, the regular season would be reduced from 162 games to the "traditional" 154 - and then a second wild card is added to each league. The two wild cards begin the postseason by squaring off in a best-of-three "mini-series" to decide which one advances to the Division Series (the division winners getting byes into the latter). The Division Series is also lengthened from a best-of-five to a best-of-seven - essentially canceling out the shorter regular season, at least for the playoff teams anyway.

As in the aforementioned proposal, one NL team switches leagues (it doesn't matter which one for the purposes of the schedule, but personally I would have the Brewers rejoin the AL, going into the AL Central, with the Royals moving from the AL Central to the AL West. Another possibility is for the Pirates to be the team that switches leagues, going into the AL East; then the Blue Jays move from the AL East to the AL Central and the Royals from the AL Central to the AL West).

The plan could be referred to as the "30-30-30-30-30 Plan" since under it every team plays 30 games against first-place teams from the previous year, 30 games against second-place teams, 30 games against third-place teams, 30 games against fourth-place teams, and 30 games against fifth-place teams, with the remaining four games consisting of interleague pairings like Mets-Yankees etc.

Here are the particulars of my plan:

1. Intradivision Games: Each team plays its four division rivals 15 times each (for 60 games).

2. Interdivision Games Within The Same League: Each team plays the 10 teams in the two other divisions 6 times each, except for the teams that finished in the same place in their respective divisions the year before, who play each other 12 times instead (for 72 games).

3. Interleague Games: Each team plays all five teams from a division of the other league 3 times each, except for the team that finished in the same place in its division the year before, in which case there are 6 such meetings. In addition, the "designated interleague rivals" meet 4 times (or more, if either of the above provisions also apply). Thus there are 22 interleague games for each team.

Note that with the exception of the "designated interleague rival" games, every season series is an even multiple of three, making the schedule a lot easier to draw up.

Last edited by Anthony; 09-19-2005 at 03:56 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
SoCal sports
Grizzled Veteran

SoCal sports is on a distinguished road

At first I thought that with 15 teams in each league you would have to have at least 1 interleague match-up at all times. I think your schedule covers that though. But I think it is good now. At first I didnt like interleague play because of tradition, but there are always a lot of good games in interleague play. I think teams should play as close of a schedule as possible to the other teams in their division. In football with only 16 games you have to schedule for how good they were the year before, but in baseball I think it can stay pretty even.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:40 AM   #3
Anthony

Well actually the plan I came up with is even, since every team would play the same number of games against 1st-place teams, 2nd-place teams etc. regardless of where they themselves had finished the year before (except for the four games against the designated interleague rival).

And yes, there would need to be constant interleague play with 15 teams in each league, but why is that any kind of problem - what would be wrong with, say, a Mets-Yankees series on the last weekend of the season with playoff spots on the line for either or both? Furthermore, now that everyone is used to interleague play, there is no longer the need to cluster all of the interleague games at selected spots during the season, when at the beginning that did make sense from a marketing standpoint.

Last edited by Anthony; 09-19-2005 at 03:54 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
SoCal sports
Grizzled Veteran

SoCal sports is on a distinguished road

I guess I should have read closer, sorry about that. I guess the interleague play all the time would be fine. Now that I think about it we could concentrate on the interleague rivalry more instead of having them all happen at once. I am sold, but will Slimball Selig listen?
Old 09-21-2005, 03:35 AM   #5
Anthony

The players' union has repeatedly expressed enthusiasm for balancing out both leagues at 15 teams each; they also have come out in favor of giving the team with better record home-field advanatge in the World Series as opposed to this ridiculous thing they're doing now with the All-Star Game.