Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-19-2006, 02:58 PM   #1
chiefsfan27
Paul Foeller

chiefsfan27 is on a distinguished road
Default Unwritten Rules?

CB DeAngelo Hall of the Falcons feels that T.O. broke an unwritten rule when he spit in his face. He said it was understood that you don't do that (or something to that effect) and that he should show more respect.

So I'm curious to know, do you all believe that there are unwritten rules or undertandings in the NFL that all players abide by? If you do could you list some you think or know exist?

Last edited by chiefsfan27; 12-19-2006 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling
chiefsfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
NYG Babe 28
Dear Abby of Sports

Location: Originally NY, Temporarily San Diego but moving to Boston!
NYG Babe 28 is on a distinguished road

I would have to think about that for a lil. I can say I do think what T.O. did was Very wrong. It fights in with unsportsman like conduct. For him to spit on another player is completely degrading and out of line in my book.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
Ravana
Revolution w/b improvised

Ravana is on a distinguished road

I believe that has been adjudicated in the past as a personal foul--it's certainly foul, and it's certainly personal. Unsportsmanlike conduct could cover it, too. Don't know that there's any reason to require a specific rule against spitting....

I imagine there are a few "unwritten rules"... most of which could easily be covered by these two penalties. I know one "unwritten rule" that gets brought up a lot: "let the players play." That is, don't call fouls unless they're egregious. Note sure I care for that one myself....
Old 12-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Uh, from what I understand if an official witnessed TO spitting in Hall's face he was supposed to be ejected from the game. That is why there was speculation of a suspension as he should have been tossed from the game. So, something tells me that there is a rule on the books about spitting on someone.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:42 PM   #5
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

That's pretty serious when someone spits in your face. Ass whupping time I say.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:52 PM   #6
chiefsfan27
Paul Foeller

chiefsfan27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Uh, from what I understand if an official witnessed TO spitting in Hall's face he was supposed to be ejected from the game. That is why there was speculation of a suspension as he should have been tossed from the game. So, something tells me that there is a rule on the books about spitting on someone.
I was'nt talking about written rules. I was talking about rules players know and obey out of "respect". Rules like "no talking about somebody's mama" and "no kicks to the groin", stuff like that.
chiefsfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

How about (and this is fully covered in another thread) kicking a field goal with no time left on the clock down by 20+ just to avoid your team getting shutout???
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:35 PM   #8
grifter
Skateboarding thug, Baby!

grifter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
How about (and this is fully covered in another thread) kicking a field goal with no time left on the clock down by 20+ just to avoid your team getting shutout???
That should be one as well. There are all kinds of unwritten rules in pretty much everything you can imagine. A few have been broken already this year such as the spitting incident. Trying to intetionaly hurt someone like that cat from the titans did earlier this year.
Also some others. If your already dogging the other team no piont in adding on more points with less than 2 mins to go such as the Saints-Cowboys game.
I had gotten into a heated argument about that with a saints fan when he was dissing the boys. He said "what the saints pretty much said by kneeling with 2 mins left on your 20 was that your team sucks a$$ and we are going to do this to humiliate you" I told the guy it was out of respect for the Boys that they did that so as to not humiliate em.

I played golf once. While everyone else was trying to hit holes in one, I hit a person. Let me tell ya that was so much more fun. I didn't know you were supposed to yell Four, I was to busy mumbling "I'm gonna miss him, alittle bit more to the left"
grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:39 PM   #9
themush
Banned

Agreed again grifter, if the game is in hand just end the damn thing. By that time BOTH teams just want the game over.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:58 PM   #10
grifter
Skateboarding thug, Baby!

grifter is on a distinguished road

Who knew I would have so much in common with a Bucs fan. Boy the sky is falling...........you are a bucs fan right.

I played golf once. While everyone else was trying to hit holes in one, I hit a person. Let me tell ya that was so much more fun. I didn't know you were supposed to yell Four, I was to busy mumbling "I'm gonna miss him, alittle bit more to the left"
grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:04 PM   #11
themush
Banned

Born and raised a Bucs fan grif. Just the smell of a Panther leaves a bad taste in my mouth.:thumbup:
Old 12-20-2006, 12:39 AM   #12
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Actually this thread might have generated a lot more traffic had it been started on the NBA board ... just ask Isaiah Thomas! :lol:
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:43 AM   #13
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I think there are a bunch of unwritten rules... refs that don't call holds, or "text book" pass interference, push-offs. I heard Michael Irvin talking once about pushing off. Now he said you could push off as long as you did not extend you arm completely. Thats what some of the refs look for. So he would infact push off, just make sure his arm was bent and it ws never called.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:55 AM   #14
Jaguar Rick
rick in nc

Jaguar Rick is on a distinguished road

I'd like to complain about calls for "un-necessary roughness". How many times in a game have you seen a player push another and get an unsportsman-like penalty? A player runs over to another head butts him, no refs see it. The guy that received the head butt pushes the guy that head-butted away and gets a penalty because an official saw it. These guys run into one another at full speed all game, but if somebody is pushed it's a 15yd penalty. I think the guys should break it up and if they don't then throw a flag. Some players start stuff in hopes of drawing a penalty.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:00 AM   #15
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Good points Rick. How bout "Helmet to Helmet" hits? I feel like I see a lot of them and they are not called. Only when I player gets hurt is it called, or looked at later by the league for a fine.
I'm all about "hard hits" and not trying to say they should call it more, but it looks like there is a lot of inconsistency here. Again, this is just what I think I've seen. Last few weeks I swear I saw some hard helmet to helmet hits that I've seen called before.