Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 12-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road
Default Peavy talks to wrap up this week?

Quote:
Padres GM Kevin Towers said that if he does not complete a trade of Jake Peavy to the Cubs at these meetings, he will probably announce that he is keeping his ace to start the season.

"We have made progress, but if it is not worked out with the Cubs, I don't want to go into Christmas with so many holes and still working on this," Towers said.
http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/st/ar..._meetings.html

Towers is probably bluffing, no? There's no sense of urgency with the Cubs or any other team that has interest in Peavy, so Towers might be trying to create some here.

Pretty much only the Cubs seem to be in on Peavy this round, so maybe this is a last ditch effort by Towers to get someone to deal for him before he has to lower the expected return for Peavy.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Seems like this keeps happening with ace type pitchers. Happened last year with Santana where the Mets got a bargain on him, and now the Cubs, if they do get him, will probably get him cheaper than some of the first offers.

Teams should learn from this, and in the future if dealing an ace type pitcher, take the best deal you get as soon as you can, because interest just seems to fade from then on. I think they Padres should have dealt him before free agency started, because now agents can make teams think they have a shot at signing a CC or Burnett when they really dont, and it makes them not as interested in Peavy.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Burnett is not even in Peavy's class. Why anyone is considering giving Burnett more than a two or three year deal is beyond me. He has never gone back-to-back years where he has posted 30 starts and 200 innings.

The primary reason he has not gone to Chicago yet is the Cubs either don't have or are unwilling to part with the talent the Pads want in return. I have also heard that Peavy wants a new deal in exchange for waiving his no trade.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

What have the Cubs offered and what do the Pads want?

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

MLBtraderumors.com today suggested that "Sean Marshall, Kevin Hart, Josh Vitters, and maybe Ronny Cedeno" were the framework for the deal. There are also talks of the Cubs trading Felix Pie to the Orioles to get some higher level prospects. So, it seems the Padres are looking for as much as close to ready for the Majors talent as they can get.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

From what I have read the Pads want at the very least a Major league ready outfield bat and a major league ready starting pitcher in addition to another prospect or two. They were asking for Yunel Escobar and a top pitching prospect from the Braves.

I think the problem with what the Cubs are offering is the Pads would prefer to get players with little to no MLB experience and guys like Cedeno and Marshall are entering arbitration years and will be eligible for significant bumps in pay.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:31 AM   #7
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

I could see the Cubs putting Felix Pie and one of their pitchers in this deal. That should get it done.

Catman
Old 12-09-2008, 12:51 AM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

I don't think the Padres have much interest in Pie, since they brought in the Orioles as a third party to try and take Pie for something...and the Cubs are looking for a team to take Jason Marquis for prospects to send to the Padres.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Good luck getting anything of significance for Jason Marquis. The guy is never going to be anything more than a fourth or fifth starter.

The problem with Pie is he has yet to show that he is going to be able to hit major league pitching and he is still striking out a ton.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Felix Pie, unfortunately, looks like another AAAA player -- nothing more to prove in the minors, but can't do enough in the bigs to justify being more than a 4th or 5th outfielder/pinch runner. His defense is adequate, but his bat still needs work.

Catman
Old 12-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Good luck getting anything of significance for Jason Marquis. The guy is never going to be anything more than a fourth or fifth starter.
Last night there were some disjointed reports about the Phillies possibly entering to take Marquis. I think they are looking for a fifth starter because Moyer wants a bit too much to come back.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:31 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Marquis would probably be a step back for them. I saw that the Phils are interested in DeRosa moreso than Marquis.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #13
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, Happ and Coste for Marquis/DeRosa sounds about right. DeRosa for Coste/Happ is probably even, with DeRosa being an MLB player, they probably figure they can convince the Phillies to take Marquis' contract in the deal.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I think you are probably right about that.

To be honest I think I'd rather take my chances with Happ at the backend of the rotation than plugging Marquis in there. Happ looks like he is going to be a solid pitcher.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The Cubs are denying reports they are anywhere close to a deal for Peavy:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3757369