Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Auburn Selects....

Gene Chizik as its next head football coach. Seems a rather underwhelming choice at best given Iowa State has gone 5-19 under his reign and have actually gotten worse and not better since he got there. I wonder how Auburn nation feels about this when they could have gotten someone a bit more accomplished as a head coach like a Skip Holtz or Turner Gill.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

I think they did this because he's an Auburn guy. Before he came to Texas, and then went to Iowa State, he was great at Auburn. Only time will tell if this was a good choice or not, but I don't see anything wrong with it.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

He must interview really well.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachJ View Post
I think they did this because he's an Auburn guy. Before he came to Texas, and then went to Iowa State, he was great at Auburn. Only time will tell if this was a good choice or not, but I don't see anything wrong with it.
I agree that they did it solely because he is an Auburn guy but the thing is he has never shown he can win anywhere and Auburn fans are not going to wait 5 years for him to figure it out. It just seems very curious to me given what the fan base demands from its team.

Gill and Holtz have both shown they can come into a place and build a winning program within two or three years. Iowa State went from 4 wins the year before Chizik go three his first year and two his second year. I give him two or three years before Auburn is looking for someone else because Chizik cannot get them to where they are competing for a SEC title by then.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:43 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Chuck is not impressed with the hire and pulled the race card in saying Auburn passed over Gill because of his race. He also goes as far as to say that of all the guys interviewed Chizik had the worst resume.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3770769
Old 12-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Gene Chizik has had success at Auburn and Texas as a defensive coordinator and inherited a very talent-poor team at Iowa State. The athletic department there is not pleased that he jumped ship as quickly as he did, but I will not blame him for moving back to the south. Its a lot easier to get a kid from Texas or Florida to go to Auburn than ISU.
I wish him the best and hope ISU finds a guy that will be happier here.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

I think its funny how Barkley says that black coaches are not given good jobs and they are only given the bad jobs where they are unable to succeed.
Quote:
My biggest problem with the black coaches is they're not getting jobs and they're getting [expletive] jobs when they are hired," Barkley said. "They're not getting good jobs. They're not getting jobs where they can be successful. That's why I wanted Turner to get the Auburn job. He could win consistently at Auburn. You can't win consistently at New Mexico. You can't win consistently at Kansas State. He could have won at Auburn."
Maybe he doesnt remember that Bill Snyder consistently put a winner on the field at Kansas State? Or that Tyrone Willingham was at both Notre Dame and Washington, 2 programs that have consistently put winners on the field before. His argument just holds no water. The man is an idiot, but of course we all knew that.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Barkley most definitely over-simplified the situation... But let's be honest - would anyone be surprised if race WAS a factor in this hiring?

We can't know for sure, but I don't think it's a crazy idea.

Notre Dame has proved to us that white coaches are often given a longer leash than black coaches when it comes to failure.

I heard someone say that Gill is married to a white woman... I don't think that would go over to well with the Auburn fan base...

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachJ View Post
I think its funny how Barkley says that black coaches are not given good jobs and they are only given the bad jobs where they are unable to succeed.

Maybe he doesnt remember that Bill Snyder consistently put a winner on the field at Kansas State? Or that Tyrone Willingham was at both Notre Dame and Washington, 2 programs that have consistently put winners on the field before. His argument just holds no water. The man is an idiot, but of course we all knew that.
EXACTLY

Barkley is a piece of s-hit.

I wouldn't have hired Chizik but Turner Gill's three years as head coach at Buffalo with a 17-22 mark arent' exactly stellar numbers either.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Barkley most definitely over-simplified the situation... But let's be honest - would anyone be surprised if race WAS a factor in this hiring?

We can't know for sure, but I don't think it's a crazy idea.

Notre Dame has proved to us that white coaches are often given a longer leash than black coaches when it comes to failure.

I heard someone say that Gill is married to a white woman... I don't think that would go over to well with the Auburn fan base...
It's all speculation and unfounded. Until someone produces a black coach who got screwed over it's all b.s.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #11
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
It's all speculation and unfounded. Until someone produces a black coach who got screwed over it's all b.s.
Do you think Notre Dame has treated their current coach any differently than Tyrone Willingham?

Think Fresh.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:23 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Do you think Notre Dame has treated their current coach any differently than Tyrone Willingham?
No.

Weis went to two BCS bowls ($36 million) while Ty went to an Insight and Gator ($3.7 million).

Wins and losses aside...Weis has SMOKED Ty in the financial column...the only one that counts.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:25 PM   #13
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
No.

Weis went to two BCS bowls ($36 million) while Ty went to an Insight and Gator ($3.7 million).

Wins and losses aside...Weis has SMOKED Ty in the financial column...the only one that counts.
:lol:

He went to the BCS bowls with Ty's players!

Think Fresh.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
:lol:

He went to the BCS bowls with Ty's players!
Meaningless.

Doesn't matter if a salesman gets a HUGE sale from someone elses clients. That dude still gets the commission.

Welcome to the real world of $ Ty, Charlie and whoever else can't see this.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:32 PM   #15
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Meaningless.

Doesn't matter if a salesman gets a HUGE sale from someone elses clients. That dude still gets the commission.

Welcome to the real world of $ Ty, Charlie and whoever else can't see this.
My point is, Willingham WOULD have brought in just as much money, and probably more if given the same opportunity that Weis was given.

Speculation? Perhaps, but Weis has shown over the last two years that he wasn't the reason for the success. His BCS appearances were nothing more than dumb luck and talent inherited from a better recruiter.

The fact of the matter is, the bar is set at a higher level for black coaches. Second chances are much more likely when your skin is the same color as 99% of athletic directors and school presidents.

Think Fresh.