Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-07-2003, 09:28 PM   #1
Aristides
All-Star Player

Aristides is on a distinguished road
Question That was unexpected....

USC rated #1 in both polls still doesn't get a shot at title. After seeing what they were ranked I was amazed it wasn't them and LSU. Oklahoma I expected to be out of the picture after being hammered by KState.

Oh well, now my Wolverines have to go into a hostile environment against a team that thinks they are robbed and will be trying to prove something. Good game indeed coming....

Also unexpected was the Orange Bowl with FSU and Miami playing each other. Second time this season and they play first game next year. Thought a rematch of the Bucks and Miami would have been good for Fiesta and KState against FSU would have been the better way to go but oh well.
Aristides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 11:11 PM   #2
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

This is a better game for the Buckeyes. A lot tougher, Miami is somewhat down.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:27 PM   #3
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

I'm disapointed that we're not in the Orange Bowl. I would have been able to go to the game if it was in Miami :/
Old 12-09-2003, 03:14 PM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I agree with Ricky. I think OSU-KSU will be a much more interesting matchup than OSU-Miami. The Canes would have had the revenge factor going, but with a much worse team than they had last year... It would have been close, but that's OSU's calling card.

The Orange Bowl is the most disappointing matchup. Not that I wanted to see Miami or FSU play anyone else in the BCS, so, I won't mind missing that game.

Dave
Old 12-11-2003, 10:09 AM   #5
Classof11buckI
Sports Enthusiast

Classof11buckI is on a distinguished road

USC probley wont beat Michigan so there wont be any controversy in that.
Classof11buckI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 01:09 PM   #6
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Well, buck, you've thrown down the gauntlet: WHY won't the Trojans beat the Wolverines???

Dave
Old 12-11-2003, 08:58 PM   #7
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

I agree with Buck. USC had better quit whining and focus on the task at hand. Michagan has played better in the latter third of the season as any team and USC has not seen a team even close to Michagan's overall talent level.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:30 PM   #8
Aristides
All-Star Player

I'll bite Dave.

The better question is WHY won't the Wolverines beat the Trojans?

Let's begin.......

UM gives up 120 yards a game on the ground and 14 TD's thru the season. They only gave up 5 TD passes all year and 167 ypg in the air.

USC has the second best run D in the game, next to the Bucks. Yeah the Bucks, remember what Perry did in THAT game? Ran for 154, what's he gonna do against USC, go for 200?

USC has the 110th, again, not a typo, 110th pass defense in the nation. UM has Edwards, Avant and Breston.

USC has been playing weak teams all year and UM has been playing ranked ones. UM has had close games that they have won. USC has one close game that they lost.

The only plus they have is playing IN THEIR OWN YARD.

Besides that, defend your Trojans Dave.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:15 PM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

So, it's funny, Ari. Last year, when the vast majority of the board was clamoring about the superiority of the Miami Hurricanes, how no point spread could possibly indicate just how big a mismatch OSU was going to be for them, yadda, yadda, I had to go and join forces with the OSU guys (Nick, Ricky, 78, you know who they are) and argue why this seemingly one-trick pony from Columbus had at least SOME chance of beating the Miami FL Goliaths.

I don't think I picked them to win, but I at least felt compelled to take up the fight for them.

I'm not sure I feel like arguing for the Trojans. Not yet. I have my eye on a couple other games of interest to me, first. I just don't think that the Wolverines have played a team this good, either.

I don't really understand AT ALL where your vehemence comes from, except that ludicrous Big 10 IS football mentality that I used to argue with 78. If the Big 10 were really the cat's meow, no one would ever pay more than a withering glance in the direction of Miami, Florida State, LSU, and Oklahoma, nevermind the not-part-of-this-country West Coast.

Meanwhile, I figure Leinart's #8 pass efficiency is a plus (as opposed to Navarre's #37); Leinart's ypc rank of #15 is a plus over Navarre's #45; the Triple Threat Rushing attack of Dennis, Bush, and White (not a law firm, but they could be) rush yard totals of 1852 to Perry's 1589 might be a plus for the Trojans, too. Imagine it. Just as White is wearing down, in comes Dennis, plowing through defenders. He's gassed. In comes Bush, running around, through, and over guys. And when he's had enough, White's ready for another go-round...

All that and the second-best (some say best) wide receiver is lined up all over the field. He might be out wide, he might be in the slot. They even line him at TE for Christ's sake. Michigan has no LB to cover him, when they do that, so look out!

At the end of the day, it should be one fun game to watch. Check back later, when I'm done fretting over who will win the New Orleans Bowl. Meanwhile... you just figure out how in hell the Wolverines are going to stop the Trojans. And then you figure out how the hell they're planning to keep up when they fall behind. And then, how in hell is Navarre not going to blow this one. He's had his career-making game. This one isn't supposed to count. He's bound to throw 3 INTs just to make up for his performance against OSU...

Dave
Old 12-11-2003, 11:51 PM   #10
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

Nice points Dave,
But those of us Memphis fans might take offense to that New Orleans bowl crack. :lol:
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:57 PM   #11
Aristides
All-Star Player

LOL Christ this is OSU/UM all over again.

Again, one more time, they are 110th in the nation against the pass. That's how they will come back IF they fall behind.

I don't have the patience to sit here and argue like I did with the OSU fans and why UM was better than them and would win that game. Plus I hate repeating myself time and time again so I'm taking some time off the board.

I'll be back Jan.2 win or lose to talk about the games.

Later all and good luck tou your teams during bowl season!
Old 12-12-2003, 05:48 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by trayhezy
Nice points Dave,
But those of us Memphis fans might take offense to that New Orleans bowl crack. :lol:
What? I mean it. UNT controlled Cincy, who was much better a year ago than they are this year. I don't know that much about Memphis, so I have to figure out what they're about before I make a pick on the game.

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 05:54 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aristides
LOL Christ this is OSU/UM all over again.

Again, one more time, they are 110th in the nation against the pass. That's how they will come back IF they fall behind.

I don't have the patience to sit here and argue like I did with the OSU fans and why UM was better than them and would win that game. Plus I hate repeating myself time and time again so I'm taking some time off the board.

I'll be back Jan.2 win or lose to talk about the games.

Later all and good luck tou your teams during bowl season!
Well, Ari, that's a lame ass attitude. I understand the needing the break, but come on. You didn't bother answering any of the questions. How does Michigan intend to deal with refreshed legs out of the SC backfield? How do they intend to cover M Williams?

It's all fine to throw out a stat that means so little, since most of those yards you're hanging your Wolvie helmet on were gained in garbage time.

You could have pointed out that UM has a great pass defense. But, you passed on actually defending your team. You could have suggested that M Jackson MIGHT be athletic enough to dedicate to covering M Williams, if the Wolvies can spare him from run support...

You might have shown some knowledge of the game, of what SC brings to the table that UM needs to overcome, of what UM brings to the table that SC needs to overcome.

Instead, we get whining.

Whatever.

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 08:49 PM   #14
Aristides
All-Star Player

Well since your a mod and I have been posting right and left about UM I might come to the belief that you have a memory.
Guess you don't which is okay.....alot of people don't have one. Like I said before I HATE repeating myself to get a point across but I'll go in depth one more time just for you Dave. It seems pointless to do it because it didn't get into your head the first time so why should it this time.

Anyway here it is and I hope this will satisfy your questions.......

Quote:
How do they intend to cover M Williams?
Like I said in a previous post in this thread....

Quote:
They only gave up 5 TD passes all year and 167 ypg in the air.
I thought that was good enough to point out their DB's are outstanding and they defend very well against the pass. Guess not. As you pointed out about MJ, I don't think that's the answer when he can also be covered by the other 3, Shazor,Curry and Lesure just as good. They could even choose to play a zone, which they have done this year, to contain the one man show. I also pointed out about the pass defense in the Buckeye threads but I guess you missed that.

Quote:
How does Michigan intend to deal with refreshed legs out of the SC backfield?
Like I have been arguing about in other threads with YOU I think the PAC-10 is a mediocre conference. Maybe their stats, that you used against Perry BTW, are just a little better than what they would be if they played in say the SEC or Big10.

Quote:
All that and the second-best (some say best) wide receiver is lined up all over the field. He might be out wide, he might be in the slot. They even line him at TE for Christ's sake. Michigan has no LB to cover him, when they do that, so look out!
I guess Reid and Diggs are slouches. Have you bothered to watch UM play at all this year? LB is one of their strong points in the defense.

All in all you have a USC team that has played in a weaker conference IMHO, and I know you don't think so, they have not been tested by a defense like UM's, which isn't great but isn't to shabby either, and they have a defense that has more holes in it than swiss cheese. Let's throw in Perry with that trio I mentioned in an earlier post, in this thread, cause after all he does have 42 catches to go with all that run yardage and bam, you have trouble.

I come up with this.....

A solid UM defense up front and excellent in back against a great WR and 3 good backs.

A great UM offense that has a great back in Perry who is a double threat and a trio of recievers that many call the best trio in the nation, against a USC defense that has been killed by the pass but is solid against the run.

You take in the fact that UM ran all over the #1 run defense already this year it leaves a huge question to be answered and that is.......How is USC going to stop what might be the most explosive offense in college football right now at the wideout and back positions and what is arguably the best O-Line?

I have to learn to stop getting sucked into these arguements and stay away until after the games are played.

I was right about the OSU-UM game and don't think it's going to be any different this one.

Anyway, staying away from the college football board until after the Bowl games unless I get sucked into the DaveZone again....too many headaches.

Good luck to your teams, even your's Dave, and have a happy holiday!

Cheers

~A