Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 04-17-2009, 11:56 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Eagles Land Bills' Peters

The Philadelphia Eagles agreed to send the 28th pick in the upcoming draft as well as a 4th round pick and a pick next year for Buffalo left tackle Jason Peters.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4077093

I love the deal for the Eagles instead of rolling the dice on a draft pick this spring they get a guy who is the real deal and should anchor that line for several years to come. It looks like the Eagles have the offensive line sorted out and it should be quite a bit better than what they had this past season when Runyan and Thomas both wore down by the end of the season.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Ah ... you beat me to it doublee.

And while I disagree virulently with this move - didn't Peters allow more head-to-head sacks than any left tackle in the entire NFL last year? - it could be worse: They could have squandered a first-round pick on that lump of carcinogenic molasses better known as Anquan Boldin!

But maybe they acquired Peters for his run-blocking skills - since when it comes to pass-blocking, he obviously can't block a striped box in the middle of an intersection?

So this has to be a signal that the Eagles plan on running the ball more from now on. Now all they need is Chris Wells (extremely unlikely) or Rashad Jennings (vaguely possible I suppose) next weekend, and I'd say they're all set.

Last edited by Anthony; 04-18-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Ah ... you beat me to it doublee.

And while I disagree virulently with this move - didn't Peters allow more head-to-head sacks than any left tackle in the entire NFL last year? - it could be worse: They could have squandered a first-round pick on that lump of carcinogenic molasses better known as Anquan Boldin!

But maybe they acquired Peters for his run-blocking skills - since when it comes to pass-blocking, he obviously can't block a striped box in the middle of an intersection?
So, you don't think the fact that he held out the entirety of training camp and was not in shape until the third game of the year played any role in that? You don't think the fact that he really did not want to be there due to not getting the contract he wanted played any role in that whatsoever?

The guy can pass block he gave up just two sacks the year before. His play last season has more to do with the fact that he did not get the money he wanted. Now that he is getting that money from Philadelphia expect him to be a Pro Bowl caliber lineman. After all a happy worker is a productive worker.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

What I find interesting is this guy went from undrafted tight end to ace left tackle, where the big money is made. My question is why wouldn't every lineman try to be the left tackle, because that protects the QB's blindspot and is a highly paid position.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

But isn't that kind of like asking why everyone doesn't try to play quarterback?
Old 04-19-2009, 03:40 AM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
So, you don't think the fact that he held out the entirety of training camp and was not in shape until the third game of the year played any role in that? You don't think the fact that he really did not want to be there due to not getting the contract he wanted played any role in that whatsoever?

The guy can pass block he gave up just two sacks the year before. His play last season has more to do with the fact that he did not get the money he wanted. Now that he is getting that money from Philadelphia expect him to be a Pro Bowl caliber lineman. After all a happy worker is a productive worker.

The bottom line is that he was the worst in the league at what he does in the most recently-completed season - and that, in and of itself, rules out mortgaging a first-round pick and then some for him.

And what happened to the Eagles' front office's vaunted obsession with "character"? A player who reacts to feeling that he isn't being paid enough money by dogging it at best - and deliberately sabotaging the team at worst - is about as contrary to the "character" mantra as one can get, no?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
But isn't that kind of like asking why everyone doesn't try to play quarterback?
Well, I'm talking about offensive linemen in general. Their skills are pretty similar, especially when it comes to left vs. right tackle, so why would anybody want to play right tackle when left is so much more lucrative?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:22 AM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Well, I'm talking about offensive linemen in general. Their skills are pretty similar, especially when it comes to left vs. right tackle, so why would anybody want to play right tackle when left is so much more lucrative?

But what if your team's QB is a lefty?

Betcha didn't think about that!

(Unless of course you're Jon Gruden).
Old 04-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The bottom line is that he was the worst in the league at what he does in the most recently-completed season - and that, in and of itself, rules out mortgaging a first-round pick and then some for him.
But, from what I have heard the number of sacks he actually allowed is highly debatable. I have heard some in the mainstream media say that at least half of the sacks he supposedly gave up were a result of the QB holding on to the ball too long and not because Peters got beaten off the snap. In addition he even said he was not in prime playing shape his first few games out last season.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:21 AM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
But, from what I have heard the number of sacks he actually allowed is highly debatable. I have heard some in the mainstream media say that at least half of the sacks he supposedly gave up were a result of the QB holding on to the ball too long and not because Peters got beaten off the snap. In addition he even said he was not in prime playing shape his first few games out last season.

Not in prime playing shape - because he selfishly and greedily tried to blackmail the Bills' front office into redoing his contract.

Or does "character" apply only to over-the-top end-zone celebrations or showing up at a strip club once in a while?