Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-27-2002, 12:47 AM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Oklahoma and Georgia are only two who deserve crack if Canes stumble

It's been getting on my nerves that Iowa is ranked so high in the polls and the BCS. I can say this, if the Canes stumble, I think Oklahoma and then Georgia are the only two teams who have a legit right to play the Buckeyes. And here is why...

1. Oklahoma is the only one loss team who lost their lone game on the road. The others lost at home. That's a big plus for the Sooners. You gotta " take care of business " when your at your house.

2. Georgia lost to the highest quality of team out of all the one loss schools left. A Florida loss looks a lot better than one to ....who is that ?....IOWA ST. !...YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME ! IOWA ST. SUCKS !

3. When the season is complete, and if all the one loss teams win out, it will be Georgia and Oklahoma playing the highest quality opponents at the end of the season, thus strengthening their cry for a shot at the Bucks if Miami loses. Notre Dame does have USC left, which is impressive, if they win, but not as much, in my opinion, then what Georgia and Oklahoma have left overall.

4. Iowa basiclly played no one at the end of the season, and are at best, a team who over the course of the season, have been a streaky team ( they played like a pee wee team early on, but won against a couple of MAC schools ). I am big on consistancy, and I can name you several teams who don't have the record of Iowa, who have played consistant ball within their means over the course of the season, so to speak. Pittsburgh, Penn St., and Texas Tech to name a few off the top of my head. And yes, I know Ohio St. isn't a model of consistancy, but they didn't make the mistake of choking, and losing a game, like Iowa did. Too bad Hawkeyes.

5. The fact that Notre Dame doesn't play in a conference is a HUGE NEGATIVE for them, in my book. Conference play, the Big 10, Big 12, and SEC anyway, is like a war every week. Surviving the SEC or Big 12 with only one loss, like Oklahoma and Georiga have, is much more impressive then losing to a team that can't impact your life every week, like all conference teams can do to their rivals.

6. Iowa basiclly played theirselves in from behind. Iowa slept all year, while the notables ( Ohio St., Oklahoma, Texas, Miami, Georgia,Virginia Tech ) played with pressure all year as tension mounted. Having to play easy games at the end, like Iowa did, and finishing so early, means Iowa only has the Michigan game as true champion tested experience. Again, this is where Oklahoma and Georgia earn points with me.

So, as you can see, I think only Oklahoma and Georgia have a right to play the Bucks if Miami loses. The strongest points have to be Oklahoma's only loss was on the road, and Georgia's only loss came at the hands of Florida, a better opponent then the other one loss schools lost too. I would definitely put Iowa behind Notre Dame, if you want me to round out the rest. They Hawkeyes played streaky, were not challenged in a game of grave importance, and basiclly were the only one loss team who pretty much gift wrapped their loss to their opponent.

On a final note, I think Notre Dame will lose this weekend anyway, eliminating them from the debate. Still, it will be a great season for them, but if they go to a BCS bowl over USC, I may go insane.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 11:25 AM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Well, Mr. Buckeyefan78......if you look at common opponents that Iowa and Ohio State has played.....Iowa has looked much better! They killed Michigan at Michigan, and they didn't have great problems with Illinois like Ohio State did.

How can you say Iowa was not consistent? And what do you mean they were not challenged in a game of importance? They played Penn State at Happy Valley and that game went into overtime.....Hello? Ohio State had the luxury of playing all of their strong teams at home. So, I am much more impressed with a school who can go out on the road and beat quality opponents, and that is what Iowa did this season.

Sounds like your a tad bit jealous that Ohio State and Iowa are sharing the Big 10 Championship. I would like to see that game, but Iowa has looked much better against common opponents than Ohio State has....and no arguement there! Iowa has also looked better in road games as well.

Joey
Old 11-27-2002, 11:56 AM   #3
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

I agree .. Iowa defenitely looks better than Ohio State

I would actually be more worried if we played Iowa in the Fiesta rather than OSU
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 12:36 PM   #4
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

How can you say that a team with a loss has played better than a team without one? The people who are mesmorized by margin of victory are the same people that talk on cell phones at baseball games and blame everything on quarterbacks.

However, I think Iowa is deserving if Miami losses, though. It should be between them and Oklahoma.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:46 PM   #5
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Ricky, digital said Iowa looks better....and in their wins they have looked better than Ohio State. That doesn't mean they would beat Ohio State, but it is pretty obvious who has looked better between the 2 against common opponents.
Old 11-27-2002, 02:09 PM   #6
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oklahoma and Georgia are only two who deserve crack if Canes stumble

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
It's been getting on my nerves that Iowa is ranked so high in the polls and the BCS. I can say this, if the Canes stumble, I think Oklahoma and then Georgia are the only two teams who have a legit right to play the Buckeyes. And here is why...

1. Oklahoma is the only one loss team who lost their lone game on the road. The others lost at home. That's a big plus for the Sooners. You gotta " take care of business " when your at your house.
Agreed.

Quote:
2. Georgia lost to the highest quality of team out of all the one loss schools left. A Florida loss looks a lot better than one to ....who is that ?....IOWA ST. !...YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME ! IOWA ST. SUCKS !
Agreed, sort of. Georgia wasn't particularly clean in several of their wins. Iowa, as others have noted, beat teams of quality (in conference, anyway) on the road.

Quote:
3. When the season is complete, and if all the one loss teams win out, it will be Georgia and Oklahoma playing the highest quality opponents at the end of the season, thus strengthening their cry for a shot at the Bucks if Miami loses. Notre Dame does have USC left, which is impressive, if they win, but not as much, in my opinion, then what Georgia and Oklahoma have left overall.
Completely disagree. ND has, if I'm not mistaken, the 2nd ranked schedule in the BCS 15. Georgia is nowhere near that level. Neither is OU, but they've looked better winning.

Quote:
[B4. Iowa basiclly played no one at the end of the season, and are at best, a team who over the course of the season, have been a streaky team ( they played like a pee wee team early on, but won against a couple of MAC schools ). I am big on consistancy, and I can name you several teams who don't have the record of Iowa, who have played consistant ball within their means over the course of the season, so to speak. Pittsburgh, Penn St., and Texas Tech to name a few off the top of my head. And yes, I know Ohio St. isn't a model of consistancy, but they didn't make the mistake of choking, and losing a game, like Iowa did. Too bad Hawkeyes.[/B]
False. And here's why. Penn State played horribly through 3 quarters against Iowa. On their turf. The same let-down/choke that the Hawkeyes suffered in Ames, IA happened in Happy Valley. There's really no reason that game should have gone into overtime. Penn State also played fairly poorly against UCF, a MAC team, and played a rather average half against La Tech, a WAC team.

I'll give you Pitt. They've been shockingly consistent. Great on defense, consistently inconsistent on offense. One might say they've been consistent less-than-average offensively. They didn't discover a rushing attack until the Virginia Tech game, and Rutherford, their QB, while decent, has really struggled to fit into Walt Harris' system.

Texas Tech!! Texas Tech!! Okay, so they shocked a much overrated Texas A&M, but that was their only road appearance. They played NC State tough in Lubbock. Beat Texas in Lubbock. They've had consistently huge offensive numbers against unprepared or untalented defenses, but their defense blows!! I can only imagine that you mention such a bad team here because OSU made them look much like the punks that they are.

Quote:
5. The fact that Notre Dame doesn't play in a conference is a HUGE NEGATIVE for them, in my book. Conference play, the Big 10, Big 12, and SEC anyway, is like a war every week. Surviving the SEC or Big 12 with only one loss, like Oklahoma and Georiga have, is much more impressive then losing to a team that can't impact your life every week, like all conference teams can do to their rivals.
More disagreeing. See note above regarding unresearched ND schedule rank. They've played some pretty good teams, and some pretty rank-smelling ones. Same as everybody else. I actually like the independent schedule better than the conference schedule, because they aren't beholden to playing Baylor, Miss State, Indiana, Duke, Stanford (please disregard the rivalry reason for this game), Rutgers (Tennessee played Rutgers, so stop looking at me like that). If they wanted to play each conference champ, and each conference champ were willing, they could and likely would.

Quote:
6. Iowa basiclly played theirselves in from behind. Iowa slept all year, while the notables ( Ohio St., Oklahoma, Texas, Miami, Georgia,Virginia Tech ) played with pressure all year as tension mounted. Having to play easy games at the end, like Iowa did, and finishing so early, means Iowa only has the Michigan game as true champion tested experience. Again, this is where Oklahoma and Georgia earn points with me.
Somehow, I think you were sleeping all year. Iowa had no pressure because no one expected anything from them. That they dominated most of their schedule isn't proof enough of their worthiness?

Quote:
So, as you can see, I think only Oklahoma and Georgia have a right to play the Bucks if Miami loses. The strongest points have to be Oklahoma's only loss was on the road, and Georgia's only loss came at the hands of Florida, a better opponent then the other one loss schools lost too. I would definitely put Iowa behind Notre Dame, if you want me to round out the rest. They Hawkeyes played streaky, were not challenged in a game of grave importance, and basiclly were the only one loss team who pretty much gift wrapped their loss to their opponent.

On a final note, I think Notre Dame will lose this weekend anyway, eliminating them from the debate. Still, it will be a great season for them, but if they go to a BCS bowl over USC, I may go insane.
You never watched a single second of Iowa football. Played streaky, my ass. OSU played streaky. In fact, down the stretch, they played terribly. They made the plays to win, which is admirable, but you clearly weren't paying attention to the Big 10 co-champs.

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 03:17 PM   #7
digital7
Deep South

.. Dave, good points and good stuff!

I'm in no way knocking on Ohio State. It's a quality team and a quality program without a doubt. I'm just saying that I would find Iowa a much better match up against the Canes in the Fiesta rather than OSU. Another reason is like Dave said, there wasn't too much expectancy from Hawkeyes and virtually came from nowhere and now are a top 5 team. They also have a share of the Big Ten title to show for it. There is less pressure for them becuase of this. The Buckeyes have struggled just like the Canes have in these last weeks and haven't looked spectacular. Pressure is finally getting to both of them. Funny thing is I got accepted to Ohio State, but decided to stay home.

Should the Hurricanes stumble, there is no doubt that Oklahoma (above all others) deserves to play for the title. If Iowa was undefeated, it would be a totally different story
Old 11-27-2002, 06:36 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Iowa is not a champion. They lost. They had a team down, and couldn't go for the kill. I couldn't disagree with you more on Iowa proving themselves this year Dave, because no one expected much from them. THAT IS THE POINT !!!!!! Anyone who has played Miami this year, has gunned for them with all they got...leaving nothing on the field. MIAMI IS THE CHAMP, AND EVERY PRE-GAME LOCKER ROOM SPEECH BY THE OPPOSING COACH BEGINS WITH ...." WE GOT A SHOT AT THE BEST IN THE LAND ".

I will compromise somewhat Dave on your analysis of ND's tough schedule. They have played some pretty tough teams, but to a point of equalling a conference race and rivalry atmosphere, I still think they fall short.

I have watched Iowa football too Dave, I especially enjoyed the loss to Iowa St. showing Iowa is just another flash in the pan like the Northwestern and Wisconisn teams of the mid 90s. A true champion or even a great consistant team doesn't lose like that. If a team besides OHIO ST. , MICHIGAN, OR PENN ST. in the Big 10 puts together a consistant program over the course of many years, then I will give them some benefits of doubts. But, til then, too bad Hawkeyes.

Texas Tech has played " within their means" Dave up until the Oklahoma game. We agree on Pitt, and I will concede Penn St. struggling, but I still believe they have played more consistant for longer stretches then Iowa.

I'm not jealous Joey of Iowa, just putting them in their place. Yeah, it would be great if they played the Bucks, but it's not going to happen. I don't care that the two schools share the crown and that Iowa is going to the Rose, because Ohio St. had no hand in the outcome of those events. That's all ask for, taking care of business on the field, something the Hawkeyes should have learned this year if they wanted respect.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:55 PM   #9
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Saying Iowa is better than Ohio State is pure speculation. This entire argument is. We will never know what would happen if Iowa and OSU played. Iowa is a good, I might even say a great team, but they had their chance to play for the National Championship, and they didn't capitalize, OSU did.

OSU won all their games, Iowa did not, but some people will never be satisfied with them. We'll see what happens Jan 3, and if OSU wins over Miami, which I suspect they very well could, I don't want to hear any more knocks against OSU--no more excuses.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:08 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

WHO CARES ABOUT OHIO ST. VS. MIAMI. OHIO ST. BEAT MICHIGAN, WON THE BIG 10, AND WOULD GO TO THE ROSE IF COLLEGE FOOTBALL WASN'T SO MONEY HUNGRY. OHIO ST. DID ALL THEY COULD DO TO OBTAIN THEIR GOALS WHICH ARE BEAT MICHIGAN, WIN BIG 10 AND GO TO ROSE. GREAT SEASON BUCKS !
Old 11-28-2002, 02:26 PM   #11
digital7
Deep South

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricky the Kid
We'll see what happens Jan 3, and if OSU wins over Miami, which I suspect they very well could, I don't want to hear any more knocks against OSU--no more excuses.
they could?
but unfortunately I just think they won't .. I dont think there is any team that could beat the Canes this yr although there have been a couple close to it ...

just my 0.02 cents worth

Last edited by digital7; 11-28-2002 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:55 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by digital7

they could?
but unfortunately I just think they won't .. I dont think there is any team that could beat the Canes this yr although there have been a couple close to it ...

just my 0.02 cents worth
I actually think that the team with the best chance to beat them is still on their schedule. Granted, VT's had a tough couple of weeks, and if they lose UVA, they could head into the Orange Bowl completely and utterly deflated. I don't expect VT to lose to UVA, but one never knows. UVA's a great example of an inconsistent team. Iowa doesn't fit that bill. Yesh, Iowa had some struggles early clinging to leads, but seemed to kick that bug immediately after the Penn State game.

Dave
Old 11-29-2002, 11:37 PM   #13
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

Since when is VT going to the Orange Bowl?
Old 11-29-2002, 11:42 PM   #14
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by The J
Since when is VT going to the Orange Bowl?
That's where Miami plays....

Dave
Old 11-30-2002, 12:26 AM   #15
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

It could be that Iowa is getting on your nerves because if they played Ohio St they would kick their ass lol But I would prefer Oklahoma to kick their no playing good teams ass. lol