Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 05-31-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Mark Cuban to back NFL competitor?

Quote:
Mavs' owner Cuban says pro football demand is greater than supply

ESPN.com news services

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is part of a group considering formation of a football league that would compete with the NFL for players drafted lower than the second round.

The league, still very much in the preliminary stage, would play its games on Friday nights. The NFL does not play then because of the potential conflict with high school football.

"It's a pretty simple concept," Cuban said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "We think there is more demand for pro football than supply."

The proposal was first disclosed by The New York Times on its Web site, which said it was the idea of Bill Hambrecht, a Wall Street investor who was a minority partner in the Oakland Invaders of the USFL, which played in the spring from 1983-85. Sharon Smith, a spokeswoman for Hambrecht and Company, had no comment and said Hambrecht was traveling and unavailable to talk about the idea.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said he was aware of the proposed league, but had no further comment.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...=ESPNHeadlines

I doubt any pro football league will gain traction while the NFL is around (i.e. never). It will fail just like the XFL, USFL, and others have. Sure, there's still the AFL, but it's not doing much. The reason is the competitor league will undoubtedly be compared to the NFL and seen as inferior, thus not gaining widespread support. The college game, to the amazement of Canadians I've talked to (and other non-Americans) who don't get our passion for NCAA sports, seems protected from these comparisons, which is somewhat baffling.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:21 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

It's nice to know that the 9/11 conspiracy film he's currently producing (from which Charlie Sheen has now backed out of his pledge to narrate) isn't taking up all of Cuban's time.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...=ESPNHeadlines

I doubt any pro football league will gain traction while the NFL is around (i.e. never). It will fail just like the XFL, USFL, and others have. Sure, there's still the AFL, but it's not doing much. The reason is the competitor league will undoubtedly be compared to the NFL and seen as inferior, thus not gaining widespread support.
Agreed...

It's just not a matter of filling a time void where the NFL isn't IMO. The public just won't have the patience to stay tuned until the new league's quality would rise to the NFL standard...if it ever would. Then it would be a question of good money after bad to the owners as the ratings & sponsors continued to stay low which isn't a hard question to most businessmen. They'll just close it down...
Old 06-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #4
Kamikaze
Football Maniac

Kamikaze is on a distinguished road

The USFL was never really meant to last very long. It was started mearly in hopes of forcing a merger with the NFL, but when the owners saw that that wasn't going to happen they closed up shop.
The AFL also isn't a direct competitor with the NFL as their primary goal is to bring indoor football to the masses.
I love the idea of more football, but going up against the NFL is pure suicide IMO.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Good point on the USFL, K...

Tell me, you think there's some back room thoughts that they might be able to cash in down the road on this in some like-wise fashion?
Old 06-11-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
grizzle_810
All-Star Player

grizzle_810 is on a distinguished road

Here's what I am wondering, could another pro football league survive if they didn't change the game in an attempt to make it their own niche sport? There is a lot of time each week where the NFL is dormant. But, I felt the XFL failed because no one got behind the stupid rules, and putting whatever you want on your jersey, and general thuggery, etc. But could a smaller league survive with identical rules to the NFL? College football is popular enough that you would know all the players in the new league. There are plenty of small big cities starving for a pro sports franchise, so they would no longer have to latch onto the closest team. Sure, the quality would be inferior, but you would have to just embrace it. You would never beat the NFL, but I wonder if you could survive along with it? Another straight-up football league would be interesting. But if it's going to be arena, or indoor, or XFL, or slamball, or rock-jock, then I won't care, because those are knock-off sports in my view.