Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 06-11-2007, 03:38 AM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default Soprano ripoff...

It was bad enough that the Sopranos took a few seasons off, living of their laurels, worse yet that they waited till the last season to try to horseshoe a closing, but inexcusable for the lackluster, waste of time ending episode...

Wow, just enough loose ends to make a movie in 2 or 3 years & cash in at the box office. How shocking...

I read 1 review that called it brilliant....:lol: He must have the inside track to some shares...
Old 06-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

You know, at first I was disappointed, too. I thought "what the hell!!!" when the screen just abruptly went to black. It left us all wondering, "what really happened? did the Soprano family get whacked??"

But then I thought about it afterwards: this show has been about past loose ends (remember the Russian in the woods?): Sil still in the hospital, not knowing if he will ultimately live, Uncle Junior (is he really incompetent?), Christopher reincarnated as a cat left to terrorize Paulie (loved that comedic touch:thumbup, the implications of the counter-hit on Phil, etc. I thought it would've ended better if Tony was in Dr. Melfi's office waxing philosophical (instead of her "firing" Tony in the prior episode), or the ducks returning to his backyard.

I really don't think this show was meant to end in a so-called "Blaze of Glory". That's the beauty of it.....

Last edited by suedon1970; 06-11-2007 at 02:12 PM.
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Could they get the cast to reprise their roles? If not, I don't think the movie would appeal to many people.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #4
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

They are all dead get over it.:lol:
Old 06-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I guess no one died in the finale. Some are disappointed, others pleased. I have not watched much of the series, so I don't know who is who anyway.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.

Last edited by catman; 06-13-2007 at 02:05 PM.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
suedon1970
Sports Chick

Found this post on another site - interesting:

"So here is what I found out. The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase is truly rewarding the true fans who pay attention to detail.
So the point would have been that life continues and we may never know the end of the Sopranos. But if you pay attention to the history, you will find that all the answers lie in the characters in the restaurant. The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2. Remember the DVD players? The trucker had to identify the body. The boy scouts were in the train store and the black guys at the end were the ones who tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear (was that season 2 or 3?).

Absolutely incredible!!!! There were three people in the restaurant who had reason to kill Tony and then it just ends. This was Chase's way of proving that he will not escape his past. It will not go on forever despite that he would like it to "don't stop". Not the fans!!! Tony would like it to keep going but just as we have to say goodbye, so does he."
Old 06-11-2007, 04:20 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

The most logical thing is Tony got whacked by the guy near the bathroom. Lots of shady characters in that diner. What happened was Meadow walked in right as her Dad was popped. The blackness was from Tony's perspective ... remember the flashbacks to the conversation with Bobby on the boat about how you don't hear the gunshot when you get popped. Tony saw Meadow, then BLACK SILENCE, it's over.

It shows how even when his family finally appeared to be happy and together, his life as a mobster meant he could never rest and relax. And in some ways, the open-ended ending was good as it leaves it up to our imaginations. Rather than the depression I would feel if we saw the whole family killed, or even Tony, there is still a glimmer of hope that they are okay and live on.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I was hopin' his shrink woulda cured him.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #9
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

lol @ Buck...

Good points, Sue...

It's not that I was necessarily waitin' on a bloodbath but these last shows were weak in common sense. That still bugs me...

There's known contracts out yet Bobby walks around unarmed, oblivious & alone. Sil not only is not prepared by being vigilant but gets shot fumbling in his briefcase for his gun in the back seat. Phil puts out a hit on a rival Family yet is wandering around with no bodyguard. There's a hit attempt on Phil by non-English speaking Italian imports who are given an address & a picture. No one who knows him by sight or knows the streets goes along?

Tony & gang are in a safe house with Tony sitting in the front window, shades half down, back door unlocked, with a comical moment when someone enters the front door & everyone reacts tho when someone comes in the unlocked back, no reaction. I guess hit men only come in the front door...

That's just a sampling...

I'm glad some liked it but I'm afraid I wasn't one of them...
Old 06-12-2007, 01:17 AM   #10
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

I think it was perfect, really.

First of all, the song at the end was a perfect choice. Secondly, it allows your imagination to wonder - did Tony get whacked?

Think about this, a few episodes ago, when Tony and Bobby were on the boat fishing, Tony says he thinks when you die, everything, "fades to black." In addition, if you watch the credits, the guy in the restaurant who looks awfully suspicious and walks to the bathroom - his last name was Leotardo.

With those things considered, I think Tony was clipped right there at the end.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #11
Marino13
Professional Muff Diver

Marino13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970 View Post
Found this post on another site - interesting:

"So here is what I found out. The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase is truly rewarding the true fans who pay attention to detail.
So the point would have been that life continues and we may never know the end of the Sopranos. But if you pay attention to the history, you will find that all the answers lie in the characters in the restaurant. The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2. Remember the DVD players? The trucker had to identify the body. The boy scouts were in the train store and the black guys at the end were the ones who tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear (was that season 2 or 3?).

Absolutely incredible!!!! There were three people in the restaurant who had reason to kill Tony and then it just ends. This was Chase's way of proving that he will not escape his past. It will not go on forever despite that he would like it to "don't stop". Not the fans!!! Tony would like it to keep going but just as we have to say goodbye, so does he."

David Chase was on Howard Stern and said that none of the charachters at the at the end were from the past...he was even specific as to dispell the rumors of all 3..

He said his main goal was to show that life goes on...people are just looking for something more.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The ratings are in and this episode just missed making television history as it was the second watched show last week losing out to America's Got Talent. It would have been the first time a cable show was the most watch show in a given week.

http://wral.com/entertainment/story/1494186/
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #13
suedon1970
Sports Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
The ratings are in and this episode just missed making television history as it was the second watched show last week losing out to America's Got Talent. It would have been the first time a cable show was the most watch show in a given week.

http://wral.com/entertainment/story/1494186/
It lost out to "America's Got Talent"???????

Sad commentary on the sensibilities of the American viewing public....
Old 06-13-2007, 02:00 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

It lost out cuz "America's Got Talent" is on free TV. The fact Sopranos is on a feed beyond basic cable and almost won is very impressive...if you give a rat's ass about this stuff.

I'm lookin' forward to a shrink curing some people on that show too though.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:10 PM   #15
Jeff Levers
Coach Levers

Jeff Levers is on a distinguished road

I haven't re-watched the final episode again or looked at the credits but I could have sworn I also saw David Scatino (sp?), the guy who lost all the money to Tony in the poker game and repaid it with his son's car, which Tony then tried to give it to Meadow.

He was in a booth in the back with a hat pulled down over his face somewhat, but it looked like him.

Gator fan on the UF-OSU basketball game intro
Jeff Levers is offline   Reply With Quote