Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 10-10-2004, 10:35 PM   #1
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road
Angry "roughing the kicker"

Did anyone see that pispoor roughing the kicker call agasinst the cowboys today? The Giants Punter got it away and than kept his leg in the air. He than hurls it down onto a Cowboy player that really wasn't even close to him. He than proceeds to fall backwords like he had been struck, which looked hillarious. Somehow the Cowboy knocked him down while he was getting karate kicked. so they get a fresh set of downs and drive down the feild scoring a touchdown. that was the turning point of the game and it just makes me sick. Was it that bad or am i just imaginaring it b/c i love the Cowboys. IMO one of the worst calls i've ever seen.

Over 70 % of roughing the kicker penalties are just major acting bull ****! why can't the referees recognize this? just cuz he falls down to his ass like he is drunk doesn't mean he got hit. These penalties are sicking.
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 11:59 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I agree somewhat. I think that we can't let them get hit by cheapshots and not let them have room to come back down. But at the same time, they are football players and are going to get hit, so they have to suck it up and take it.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:41 AM   #3
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

The call in the Cowboys game is something they need out of the rulebook in a hurry.

It makes zero sense that this was called a penalty. The player had his back to the punter. They need to just oust the running into the kicker call. Then just go with roughing and call when someone actually ROUGHS the punter.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:19 AM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Interesting... I thought it looked like a legitimate call, and nothing like what Mr gconn reports.
You can argue about whether the five-yard "running into" is worthy of the penalty, but I'm not sure about the moral indignance that's being expressed here. Seems like anti-Giants mentality to me.

Anyway, I think Marc almost gets it right, then falls down. Kickers and punters AREN'T football players on most teams. One of the reasons that most of them suck. They're just guys that teams bring onto the roster because you can't score a touchdown every time you possess the ball. Look at Miami, whose kicker was injured last week, and the team refused to go out and pick up another, so they were left without a field goal kicker throughout almost the entire game.

Dave
Old 10-11-2004, 02:29 AM   #5
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
Interesting... I thought it looked like a legitimate call, and nothing like what Mr gconn reports.
You can argue about whether the five-yard "running into" is worthy of the penalty, but I'm not sure about the moral indignance that's being expressed here. Seems like anti-Giants mentality to me.
I think gconn might have overblown it a bit, but I'll say this...

I'd bet money on that being something that the punter has practiced.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:24 AM   #6
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Graham

I'd bet money on that being something that the punter has practiced.
And this is wrong, how?

The Pats take advantage of the softening over time of calling the no chuck rule, practice it, win. What's wrong with that?
Punters practice how to fall down when someone comes close to them. What's wrong with that?

One does wish for there being a little more judgment on the ref's part, sometimes. No doubt. But, here's a little known fact, Doug: punters were practicing falling down before the five-yard running into penalty came into effect. Probably moreso, because it required a bigger/better sell.

Dave

Last edited by Marc; 10-13-2004 at 12:48 AM.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 06:25 AM   #7
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Dave, I didn't say it was wrong or that punters haven't been practicing to fall for some time now. I don't think that makes it "legitimate" though.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:49 AM   #8
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

I understand that punters should practice falling, b/c when a time comes when it's iffy it can really come in handy. but this wasn't even close, he kicked him in the back. is that not what happened i've only seen it twice?
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:01 AM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Well, gconn, Marc's point about punters needing room to come down is right out of the rulebook, I think. So, if the guy's in the way of his leg coming down, and wasn't pushed there by the punter's teammates... then that player's in violation of the running into the punter.

Doug-Hmmm. I suspect we have slightly variant definitions of what makes something "legitimate."

Dave
Old 10-17-2004, 12:42 AM   #10
ESP0704
All-Star Player

ESP0704 is on a distinguished road

Just remember guys, as one of the old men on these boards, I remember the days when ANY contact with a punter or kicker while his leg was in the air was a 15-yard penalty and an automatic first down.

It's not often the NFL rules committee comes in for praise, but they got it right when they established a two-tiered system for roughing the kicker fouls (not to mention similar action for facemasking, which I think was done about the same time)
Old 10-17-2004, 01:49 AM   #11
Joepritch2
Grizzled Veteran

Joepritch2 is on a distinguished road

Excellent point, I think the NFL gives the most effort when it comes to perfecting their product on the field, be it in the board room, the locker room, all the way to the field.
Joepritch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 03:40 AM   #12
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

While this thread has been about punters up to now, three placekickers have been out injured the last two weeks (Mike Vanderjagt last week, and both Olindo Mare and John Hall this week). When was the last time that happened?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 03:52 AM   #13
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

From kicking or on kickoff returns???
Old 10-17-2004, 04:16 AM   #14
Joepritch2
Grizzled Veteran

Joepritch2 is on a distinguished road

Any time, really...
Joepritch2 is offline   Reply With Quote