Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-21-2004, 07:40 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default AP Drops out of BCS

The Assoicated Press has decided to end its association with the BCS process and starting next season the AP Poll will no longer be used in calculating the BCS standings. It will be interesting to see what Band Aid they come up with next.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1951112
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 11:58 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Excellent! :banana:

One step closer...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 12:00 AM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Well, it has been rumored that they were going to go to a committee process similar to basketball to select the BCS teams so that way they can have the teams the media wants to see. So I suspect that is what will be the fallout from this. There is still too much money tied up in the BCS for them to not to try and make it work.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 12:35 PM   #4
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

A proper selection committee is indeed a step in the right direction from the AP. They need a group of like 15 people who watch everything to make these decisions.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 12:39 PM   #5
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

My question is will the AP still have a say in the National Title, meaning, if the team they have at #1 at he end of the year is different from the BCS game winner, do we still have a split national title, or will the Coaches poll become the one true poll.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 03:05 PM   #6
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

This is a good move by AP, and a populist one. They have basically endorsed a playoff by refusing to cooperate with this broken system.

The AP Poll is not going away, Dublin. I'm sure that if the BCS spits out one National Champ and AP spits out another, the team that one the AP will call themselves co-national champs, as well as most of the media and the man on the street.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 03:43 PM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
This is a good move by AP, and a populist one. They have basically endorsed a playoff by refusing to cooperate with this broken system.

The AP Poll is not going away, Dublin. I'm sure that if the BCS spits out one National Champ and AP spits out another, the team that one the AP will call themselves co-national champs, as well as most of the media and the man on the street.
That's the only way the BCS will ever be changed. If the BCS and AP champion are different, controversy will continue to brew and eventually force the BCS to change or disappear. I would prefer split national champions rather than one (or more) teams getting screwed by this awful, awful system we have right now.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:21 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

The AP has designated its own national champion for nearly forty years. Their separation from the BCS won't and will likely never change that.

I'll be interested to see what the scope of the committee (assuming the BCS takes that route) is. Just the title game? Just the four bowl games? All the bowl games? Somewhere in between?

I was titillated by this news item yesterday while I was home, but I still don't know how to feel about it, really.

I want the BCS dead just like everybody else, but I want a different outcome from BCS death than most on this board.

Which is to say, if keeping a playoff from trodding on my game means keeping the BCS alive, Long Live the BCS!

And, yes. I'd rather Miami and Oregon and Southern California and Auburn get screwed annually than see a playoff.

Dave
Old 12-22-2004, 07:30 PM   #9
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

I actually feel that every year except for 2003 and 2000, the BCS has worked (Yes Auburn, you do not belong in the Orange Bowl).

However, I just don't see what we have to lose by going to a four-team playoff. Under this system, all the other toilet bowls could be kept, and only the teams that excelled above the rest would qualify for the playoff.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 07:27 PM   #10
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

I don't think anybody can say Auburn does not belong in the Orange Bowl, and does not deserve a shot at the title. Bring USC or OU to the SEC and see them go undefeated. Even LSU of last year didn't do it, and that went in and beat OU soundly in the Sugar Bowl. Yes I know the score was somewhat close, but they had that game from beginning to end, and it just never felt like OU was even in the game. You can just compare us to USC when we destroy a VT team that they squeaked bye against. By the way Orangeman, I don't think you should really worry about what the hell happens with the BCS because it will never affect your pathetic Syracuse program. By the way, nice performance against Georgia Tech the other night. What an embarassment.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 02:43 AM   #11
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

Hey Tiger,

Let's look at what kind of non-conference schedule the Top 3 have.

Oklahoma
Bowling Green (9-3)
Houston (3-8)
Oregon (5-6)

Not bad, but by no means great.

USC
VA Tech (10-2)
Colorado St. (4-7)
BYU (5-6)
Notre Dame (6-5)

One bowl team, a BCS team and a couple subpar teams. Better than OU's.

Auburn
UL-Monroe (5-6)
The Citadel (3-7 in D1-AA)
LA Tech (6-6)

One school that doesn't even play in D1-A and then two mediocre schools from two of the worst conferences.

Meanwhile, your claim that the SEC is a tougher conference to play in than the Pac 10 or Big 12 simply does not hold up.

Also, tigereyes, please try to find me somewhere that says that Auburn's Strength of Schedule ranking is stronger than OU's and USC's. All I can really go for is that the better teams are the ones that won their games against the better opponents.

One more thing, if you actually read my post, you would have seen that I actually defended Auburn by saying that there should be a four-team playoff, which this year, would have included Auburn.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 12:29 PM   #12
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

"The Assoicated Press has decided to end its association with the BCS process and starting next season the AP Poll will no longer be used in calculating the BCS standings"

Clap, Clap, Clap!

"The AP sent BCS coordinator Kevin Weiberg a cease-and-desist letter, dated Dec. 21, stating that use of the poll is unlawful and harms the AP's reputation."

Does this not say, "your system is F ed up and to much heat is coming down on us for it, before our rep continues to plummet we are going to let you sink by yourself".

I think soon we will hear from the BCS about the talk of playoffs. Sure money has a lot to do with the current system but if the AP and fans are giving up on the system they will have no choice but to change.

Last edited by MaddEnemy; 12-26-2004 at 12:36 PM.
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 02:27 PM   #13
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

Virginia Tech has grown alot scince the USC loss (which was caused by a horrible call) under the leadership of Bryan Randall. I think if we played USC again that we could play them even tighter and maybe even win. I'm not that impressed with thier defense. I think we will lose to Auburn b/c we just don't matchup well. It will be alot closer than Tigereyes thinks but I would be surprised to see us win. Both teams are very similar, 2 quick shutdown defenses that play very dirty. Cadilac and Ronnie Brown are great and will be a factor but we have two good half backs of our own in Cedric Humes and Mike Imoh who is fully recovered from his injury. I rather have Bryan Randall at qb than Jason Campell, if its close in the 4th will pull out the win.

Orange- it seems that when ever anyone talks about the SEC ooc comes up. Ok, they play horrible teams, but that means nothing about how good a team is. The SEC's power teams are much better than other confernces. You could say "HOw do you know how good Georgia or LSU is, they play noone ooc" but those people just need to wake up and look at things realisticly.
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 03:33 PM   #14
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by gconnhokiebird
Orange- it seems that when ever anyone talks about the SEC ooc comes up. Ok, they play horrible teams, but that means nothing about how good a team is. The SEC's power teams are much better than other confernces. You could say "HOw do you know how good Georgia or LSU is, they play noone ooc" but those people just need to wake up and look at things realisticly.
Playing the out of conference schedule says everything about how good a team is. You can't say "The SEC's power teams are much better than other confernces (sic)." Because you have absolutely no proof to back that up. That's like you claiming to be the best 1-on-1 basketball player in the world, then proving it by blowing out a bunch of third graders.

The top 5 SEC teams, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU, Florida and Auburn went a whopping 3-1, combined, against teams from BCS conferences. Only one of those wins came against a ranked team (Florida over Florida State). The SEC did, however, sweep the Sun Belt with a 6-0 record. The Sub Belt, by the way, went 5-26 in its OOC schedules with only one win over a BCS conference team (Troy over Missouri). So, when you look at it "realisticly," the SEC had two more OOC wins over BCS conference teams than the Sun Belt.

The SEC may be the toughest conference in the country, but we'll never know because they were content with beating each other up instead of looking for other good teams to prove their worth against.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote