Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default NFL tries to ban Twittering...

Compare to the NBA, who seems to embrace it (think @THE_REAL_SHAQ). It highlights the different cultures between the leagues. The NBA is a star-driven league who draws fans based on the player personalities, whereas the NFL puts helmets on players and has a team-first philosophy.

Story: Get the message: Teams crack down on Twitter - ESPN
Quote:
DAVIE, Fla. -- The only tweets during the Miami Dolphins scrimmage Saturday will come from the officials' whistles.

The Dolphins are at the forefront of an NFL clampdown on Twitter and other social media, with new restrictions imposed on players, reporters and even spectators.

Miami's secretive Bill Parcells regime prohibits fans and media at training-camp practices from tweeting, blogging or texting. At least six other teams have also imposed such restrictions on reporters, even though the workouts are open to the public.

Twitter intolerance is no surprise in a league where paranoia is part of the playbook. Like many Americans, coaches are anxious and a little confused about the rapid pace of change in communication.

"I don't really have a Twitter policy," Denver coach Josh McDaniels said. "I don't know what it means; I don't know what it is. I don't know MyFace, Spacebook, Facebook stuff. I don't know what that is either."
Nice quote by McDaniels. In his youth, he should know all these services.

So does the NFL have a right to be so strict and tell its players they can't Twitter? Or should it embrace it like the NBA?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Well, it is not the league so much as the individual teams and I think it depends on the situation. A couple of NBA guys have gotten into trouble with their teams for tweeting during games. I don't see a problem with them tweeting as long as they are doing it on their own time but when they are doing it during games and/or practice then we have a problem. I would want my players focused on games and practices and not thinking about what they are going to tweet next.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Will there be a 15-yard penalty for "prolonged and premeditated tweeting"? :lol:
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I think tweeting during team functions should be outlawed, but the NFL shouldn't outlaw players from tweeting period, that is a violation of free speech!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
BeDaBear
Rookie Player

BeDaBear is on a distinguished road

I don't get the whole texing, tweeting, or music today. I guess those are the begining signs that I'm getting old.
BeDaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

As a fan of the NFL, I think I would enjoy reading players Tweets during a game, practice or just what's going on in life. I play a sport and I Tweet updates because I know a lot of my friends would like to know how we're doing at tournaments. I would like to see a players perspective on a game and what they think. I mean, it's only 140 characters per Tweet, so it's not like they're writing a long e-mail or a 3 page report. It's just a quick update. As much as I despise the guys, I think reading Tweets by either Ocho Cinco or Owens could be very entertaining. Who cares if they Tweet? If Tweeting is distracting them from paying attention or performing, then maybe the issue should be discussed, but players are allowed to talk on the phone during games...that's not distracting