Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-11-2002, 01:05 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Question Bill Parcells Going to Alabama?

Mike Riley is the leading candidate for the head coaching job at Alabama, but some sources say Bill Parcells may be interested in the job. Alabama is checking to see how serious Parcells is. Mike Riley use to be the head coach for San Diego. He played his college ball at Alabama.

To be honest I rather see Mike Riley get the job. Parcells wouldn't stay long if he did take the job. Parcells is 65 or 66 years old I believe. If I'm wrong somone tell me his correct age please.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:56 PM   #2
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Parcells wouldn't stay long, that's correct, but he might be just the guy to keep the boat afloat during the scholarship reduction years.

He is mid-60's, but I forget the actual age.

Here in Boston, where they obsess over "Tuna" news, the prevailing sense is that this isn't a serious desire of Parcells'. It seems odd that he'd want to coach college, they say, when he could probably quite readily take the helm at any of the 5-10 NFL openings likely to be available in the offseason.

What I think those folks are forgetting, though, is that Parcells' return to the NFL would further delay his imminent entry into the NFL Hall of Fame (now delayed twice amid rumors that he was returning to the game). Also, one wonders if he simply wants the challenge of keeping a water-logged boat, beauty of a vessel it may be, from becoming completely submerged.

I wasn't a huge fan of Riley at SD. It could turn out he's like Pete Carroll, though: an awful NFL coach with incredible college coaching ability.

Dave
Old 12-11-2002, 02:04 PM   #3
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

You mean that General, I mean football Coach Parcells, is thinking bout coaching college? I just don't see that. ESPN is doing a special on the junction boys from back in the day of Bear Bryant and Texas A&M football. That ESPN movie is about how hard Bryant was on his players that one summer. Well if Parcells comes to coach in the college ranks, ESPN will have another movie on their hands. Parcells is a get in your head, intimidating, general as a coach. I am not saying I don't like him, I am just saying I don't see him coaching at the college level.

Joey
Old 12-11-2002, 02:15 PM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Well, like anybody else, he's coached college before. Air Force Academy 1978. Wasn't very good at it and apparently didn't like the recruiting end of it, so he got out right quick.

He's likely mellowed a bit, though. Yes, he's tough, but I think most of the tough work would be handled by assistants. Perhaps assistants that he'd like to see as head coaches. So he takes the title and the challenge briefly, and hands off to one of them. Who knows?

Dave
Old 12-11-2002, 06:50 PM   #5
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

He was also an assistant at Army for several years prior to being at Air Force.

I dont see this happening at all.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 10:17 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

So he turned down Tampa, but is interested in Alabama? I think he should just stay retired ... 'Bama doesn't need a temporary/short-term coach. Mike Riley seems like a good choice, but like others have said, he hasn't had a lot of success where he's been.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 05:37 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Scatch off Mike Riley from the list: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news/a...ama-coach.html

And a comment on Riley: since when did he become such a hot coaching prospect? He had mediocre records in college and he was fired as the Chargers coach. And the Saints D (which he is the secondary coach) hasn't been very good, either. So why is he so high and mighty now?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 07:37 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I was wondering the same thing. I don't think Riley would be in my Top Ten coaching prospects, but then, I don't usually keep a list.

But, we've just seen the third coaching choice in this layover period/offseason made based on "family considerations."

I'm surprised that no one has suggested that Marvin Lewis was a possibility here.

I'm also wondering if the SEC's recurring and seemingly deteriorating reputation as being dirty is turning candidates away. Florida had to go their B list and fourth choice last year. Morriss abandoned Kentucky earlier this week. Franchione left 'Bama to be plodding around looking for a new coach, and they're not landing anyone right away.

Obviously, 'Bama's looking for fiery guys, preferring youth. I don't much about Les Miles OKState, but Mike Price is an emotional sort, as is Rodriguez, WVU. Also interesting to note that all of those guys run a more wide open offense than 'Bama's accustomed to running.

Dave