Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 10-03-2007, 03:01 AM   #16
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough
Default through week 4....

Well, a quarter of the way through the season, I thought I should re-visit these.

1] The Bengals will finish under .500.

They have such an easy schedule this might not happen, but it looks very possible.

2] The Jaguars will win the AFC South.

The Colts -- and Titans for that matter -- are off to a great start. This appears quite improbable.

3] The Patriots will start the season so shaky that they barely make the playoffs.

This is already demonstrably wrong.

4] Denver will finish under .500 and third in the AFC West.

I think Dave nailed this one. The Broncos don't seem to be anything special, but they could actually win the AFC West the way things are going.

5] Green Bay will finish last in the NFC North.

This may actually end up as a worse prediction than New England. At least I had the Pats winning their division. The Packers look like the NFC's best team outside of Dallas right now.

6] Either Jake Delhomme will play well, and Carolina will win its division, or Delhomme will play poorly and be benched for David Carr by Thanksgiving.

Delhomme is hurt and the Panthers look middle-of-the-pack. It's early to say, but it looks like Carolina and Tampa for the NFC South.

7] Philadelphia will win the NFC East in a runaway. Unless Donovan McNabb gets hurt early in the season, in which case Philly misses the postseason altogether and Dallas wins the division.

The Eagles look terrible and Dallas is clearly the class of the division.

8] Shaun Alexander averages under 4 yards per carry, and the Seahawks win the NFC West anyway. Everyone's talking about a changing of the guard, but Seattle hangs on for another season.

This one looks good. Alexander is averaging under 4 so far, and the 'Hawks are in first place.

AFC Division winners: Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, New England, San Diego
AFC Wild Cards: Indianapolis, Jets
NFC Division winners: Chicago, Carolina, Philadelphia, Seattle
NFC Wild Cards: New Orleans, Dallas

I think I'm about 50% with these. Pitt, New England, and Indy look good in the AFC, and J-ville or San Diego might still have a shot. In the NFC, let's say Seattle and Dallas plus one more (probably Carolina).

Super Bowl

Chargers over Panthers
Congratulations, Norv.

{hangs head in shame}

* The Bengals will be mediocre-to-bad. BUY
* The Colts have lost too many people, and the Jags have a great defense and tons of young talent. The Leftwich thing threw me, too, but I still think they'll do it. SELL
* The Jets and Bills will give New England a serious run for its money. SELL SELL SELL
* Denver is not a contender. Look for problems on defense, in particular. BUY
* Green Bay is not a contender. Neither is anyone else in the NFC North. SELL SELL SELL
* The Saints cannot repeat last year's success. If they win the division, it's only because the NFC South is terrible. BUY
* Dallas, Washington, and the Giants are not ready to contend. The NFC East is Philly's for the taking. SELL
* The Cardinals and Niners are a year away. BUY
* San Diego has too much talent not to succeed, regardless of the coaching staff. SELL
* Watch out for Pittsburgh, especially late in the season. BUY

5/10 isn't terrible for bold preseason predictions.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #17
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

The question now is will Norv Turner even survive the season? Fans were chanting for Marty, and rightfully so. I knew you'd be wrong about the Packers. Hey, didn't you get my e-mails, Brad?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #18
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

So many issues with teams in th NFL these days.... I like about 5 teams to contend. But somebody else has to step up. Its only 1/4 a way into the season so we'll see.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:06 AM   #19
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I think your wrong about Green Bay finishing last in the NFC North.