Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

View Poll Results: What should be done about the offside rule?
Leave as it is. 4 57.14%
Change to the delayed offside rule. 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2002, 08:58 PM   #1
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default Offside Rule -- time for a change?

I think the NHL should go back to 1970s or 1980s and go back to the old offside rule (also the one used in international tourneys, such as the Olympics).

Example -- In the Habs/Bruins game today, the puck squirts out of the Bruins zone. A Canadiens player picks up the puck at center ice and shoots the puck around the boards with 2 teammates still in the zone. The two Montreal players are skating hard to go off for a line change, as is the player who shot it in. However, they don't gain the blue line before the puck enters the zone. CANADIENS GET CALLED FOR INTENTIONAL OFFSIDE!!!!!!

That's just WRONG. If the NHL wants to speed games up, this should be the first rule to change. I mean, guys try to get out of the zone and what do the linesmen do? -- blow it down as soon as the puck enters. I realize it's not their fault -- IT'S THE RULES!!! What's the point of this??

Bottom line is that the NHL should switch to the delayed offside rule like 15/20 years ago.

What do you think?
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 01:28 AM   #2
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Wedge231 is on a distinguished road

Change it. Offsides are boring and make the game go slower.

I'm Back After 5 Months
Wedge231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 03:31 PM   #3
TheWittyOne
Grizzled Veteran

TheWittyOne is on a distinguished road

The offsides rule at least makes Pavel Bure skate out of the offensive zone once in a while.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:58 PM   #4
Karen M
Grizzled Veteran

Karen M is on a distinguished road

OUCH!---- hahaha!
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 03:02 PM   #5
TheWittyOne
Grizzled Veteran

As with any sport the people who want to speed it up, or make it faster paced, or higher scoring are usually the casual fans who do not care that much anyway.
Old 05-08-2002, 12:24 AM   #6
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Trust me, I'm not a casual hockey fan. Changing it would not only speed up games, but hey -- this is how hockey was played in the "good ol' days" ... in the 80s. I HATE stopping every 2 seconds when an offensive player could take 2 strides in .5 seconds to get out of the zone and back onside. It'd make for quicker defensive plays, too. Faceoffs every 30 seconds of playing time isn't fun. More continous hockey makes the game flow better; that's why I'd like to see it changed.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:54 PM   #7
TheWittyOne
Grizzled Veteran

How does the delayed offsides work? It would allow you to dump the puck into the zone, but not play it, correct ?(at least until the other team played the puck)? That would be fine.
I did not watch any Olympic hockey so I am not sure about how the rule works and obviously I did not watch hockey in the 80's (baseball/football only back then).
Old 05-09-2002, 06:34 PM   #8
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

OK... delayed offside is this -- say a an offensive player shoots the puck into the offensive zone from behind the blue line. Meanwhile, a player on his team was a step ahead and touched the white ice in the offensive zone before the shoot in. CURRENTLY IN THE NHL, the linesman would immediately blow the whistle. With the DELAYED OFFSIDE RULE in place, the linesman would instead raise his arm and yell "offside, offside" as a signal for the offensive team to touch the white neutral ice. When everyone has done so, he lowers his arm and they can skate back into the offensive zone. Make sense?
Old 05-10-2002, 02:26 PM   #9
TheWittyOne
Grizzled Veteran

That makes sense. I agree that it would be a good rule change.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:01 AM   #10
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

WildVikings is on a distinguished road

Hmm.

Exactly which offside rule are you talking about changing? Are you talking about removing the center-line offside(two line pass) or are you talking about changing the way offsides at the blue-line work.

I think removing the redline offside would be a huge mistake. People seem to think that the removal of this redline speeds up the game, but I think it has the exact opposite effect.

If you look at European hockey, which plays without the redline, you will notice a startling similarity with alot of teams. Almost all of them play the neutral zone trap. Then there are those who simply line up at their own blueline and wait for you to bring the puck in.

Anyway, my point is that removing the red line in international competition where there is alot of talent will result in some interesting hockey. Doing it in the NHL where the talent pool is much more spread out or diluted, will bring on more defensive styles of hockey.

Leave the red-line where it is.

In regards to the example up above about the intentional offside call where a missed shot wrapped around and went back around the ice, the lineman who called that should have be reprimanded for making a call that is beyond the scope of the rules.

An intentional icing should only be called when an offside, in the opinion of the linesman, was made with the intent of securing a stoppage in play. Obviously a missed shot at the other end of the rink shouldnt apply, unless the players in the offensive zone made no attempt at clearing the zone.

In regards to the touch-up offside or delayed offside, I agree. I would like to see that rule implemented. Less whistles...more action.

Lemaires nephew, Manny Fernandez, turned aside 30 shots to earn the win. Bill Muckalt ended his 76 game scoring funk by netting 2 goals and 18 year old rookie Pierre-Marc Bouchard earns his 2nd NHL assist in as many games.
WildVikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 09:29 AM   #11
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

No no -- I used to be in favor of removing the redline but now after watching several World Junior Hockey Championships, the Olympics, and the recent World Hockey Championships, I am defiintely NO LONGER IN FAVOR of the NHL switching. This thread was about the delayed offside call only.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:42 AM   #12
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Id love to see the change because the game needs to speed up more a bit. I also wish the Betman & Campbell would look at the 15 second faceoff rule (probably wont happen due to commercial breaks) or a no touch icing rule.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 01:42 PM   #13
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

WildVikings is on a distinguished road

No touch icing is a good idea. Don Cherry has been a poster boy for no touch ice for years. I happen to agree with him on this issue. We even have an instance in the Toronto-Ottawa series where a player was injured on an icing call.

The 15second face off rule was used in the AHL this year, it shaved and average of 20 minutes off of every game. I like this rule, I want this rule. They can still take referee time outs like they currently do for commericals, but other than that make em play.

Lemaires nephew, Manny Fernandez, turned aside 30 shots to earn the win. Bill Muckalt ended his 76 game scoring funk by netting 2 goals and 18 year old rookie Pierre-Marc Bouchard earns his 2nd NHL assist in as many games.
WildVikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 01:54 PM   #14
Karen M
Grizzled Veteran

Karen M is on a distinguished road

The problem with the 15 second face off is that advertisments cut in to viewing the face-offs on return from a commercial. If the sponsers and the league can straighten that out I think it may be a fine way to maintain the momentum of the game.
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote