Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-09-2002, 11:27 PM   #1
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road
Default My Opinion on the Texans

Here what I think about how the Texans should build their team position by position(on offense) if they wanna win right away-

Quarterback- I think it would be too much of a gamble to take David Carr and start your team with a rookie. Now don't get me wrong, Carr will have great success, but he'll do it with an established franchise. So I see them taking either Drew Bledsoe or Trent Dilfer. I think Bledsoe has the edge though.

Runningback-They should use their draft royalties on defense and offensive line, there are many runningbacks you can find out there. But I think they will have great success if they pick up Dominic Rhodes from the Colts. He started only 10 games and still rushed for over 1,100 yds and scored 9 TD's.If I'm Dom capers, I want that guy in the backfield. They can sign Greg Comella to fill the fullback spot.

Wide Reciever-They definatley need to get Terry Glenn if they want to have a good passing attack, especially if Drew Bledsoe's under center. It would be great for them to reunite in Houston and try to take them to the playoffs. Since Glenn has continuousley talked about wanting out of New England, this would be a great fit.

Tight End- This is a position that they could wait on or take in the draft.

O-line- I don't think they will take Bryant Mckinne with the first pick, I think they'll take Julius Peppers. Hopefully Toni Fonoti will slip and Houston can STEAL him with the first pick in the second round. Then, It will be linebackers and DB's.

Here is my projection of their draft rounds 1-3

1-Julius Peppers-DE-UNC
2-Toni Fonoti-OT-NEB
3-Robert Royal-TE-LSU
Old 01-10-2002, 07:25 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a plan to me! Don't particularly like Carr as a #1 overall pick either, mainly because he played at a school that had a fine season but is not a true "big-time" program; quarterbacks from such colleges rarely play their best until they've been in the NFL for a number of years (remember Ken O'Brien, for instance?) - and of course a "long-term development project" is the last thing on the Texans' mind, which they proved when they hired Dom Capers to be their first head coach.

And as for wide receivers, it appears very likely that the Raiders are going to leave James Jett unprotected. His blazing speed - he reportedly once ran a 4.09 in the 40! - would be a welcome addition to the Houston passing attack, which could very well be headed next season by either Drew Bledsoe or Trent Dilfer. Don't rule out Jeff George either; one thing they could do is sign George, then draft a QB to learn behind him.

Last edited by Anthony; 01-10-2002 at 07:51 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 01:21 PM   #3
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

Ahhh, I forgot about Jeff George. Good point. And if they don't get Toni Fonti in the second-round, they can get linebacker LeVar Fisher from NC State.