Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-27-2003, 07:06 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Bring Back The Playoff Bowl!

Anybody here remember the Playoff Bowl? It was a game played in the NFL from 1960 through 1969. Through 1966, it matched up the two teams that finished second in the NFL's two divisions (then known as conferences); in 1967, '68 and '69, the participants were the two teams that lost in what were then the conference championship games (the winners met in the NFL title game). When the merger was announced, it was proposed that the losers of the AFC and NFC championship games play each other on the weekend between the conference title games and the Super Bowl, but this was not proceeded with.

This year the Titans and Eagles would have played each other, and it would have been an awesome matchup, especially in light of what happened when these teams faced off on opening day.

A lot of good could come out of this - for one thing, the game could be used to test the viability of future expansion sites (or you could hold it a foreign country, thus transferring the "American Bowl" from preseason to postseason); plus the whole thing would have a traditionalistic air to it, since the game was originally held in what many still consider to be pro football's greatest decade ever.

Don't think it will ever catch on - but that's the NFL's loss.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 07:38 AM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

quite an idea but it won't happen. the only thing people would care about is the Super Bowl
Old 01-27-2003, 01:37 PM   #3
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Plus, in a meaningless game players don't want to risk injuries to profit the NFL. I mean the players could play for pride, but I can't see the teams getting up for a game when they just lost their chance to play in the biggest spectacle of them all....the Superbowl. By the way Anthony, the Titans would have gotten the Eagles again had they played the playoff bowl....lol.

Joey
Old 01-27-2003, 04:53 PM   #4
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

That would be cool, even if they played it the day before the Super Bowl. I doubt they would have the playoff game again though.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:48 PM   #5
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Nah. It might be fun; but not worth hyping up like they do the Super Bowl.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 10:57 PM   #6
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Actually, in years where there are two weeks between conference championships and the Super Bowl, having SOMETHING in between wouldn't be such a bad idea. I so much prefer the single week between. I think the past two years' have really reminded me how much I hate the two weeks' between, by not providing them. I suppose, though, there are two weeks between next year.

Dave
Old 01-28-2003, 01:17 PM   #7
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Yes, there will be 2 weeks before the Super Bowl next season. It will be played in Houston on Feb. 1st if I am not mistaken.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:09 PM   #8
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Dave; having something in between would take the attention off the Super Bowl; which it should be on. Waiting two weeks is not the end of the world. It gets players more rested up and ready. And why play that game in between when it does not matter? Because that takes all the competitive spirit out of it.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 12:24 PM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I'm not in favor of playing meaningless games, if that's how you took it. All I really want is one-week between CG Week and SB Week.

You say it provides time to rest up and repair, I say it makes me tired. I couldn't have stood another damned second of Gruden v Raiders blather.I would welcome the distraction during the first week of a two week layoff. This one just past had about as many storylines as you can fit into a Super Bowl, and by Friday, I just wanted the whole damned thing done. I hate the hoopla, I hate the hype, I hate the wait. They should play the day after the CGs.

Dave
Old 01-31-2003, 07:00 AM   #10
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

There should be an "official" way of recognizing which team finished third, fourth etc. overall in the league. Either of two approaches should be considered:

1. As between the conference championship losers, whoever had the better regular-season record could officially be considered third and the other team fourth. If they both had the same record, the same tie-breakers used to determine draft order (i.e., strength of schedule) could apply. The same principle can then be observed to determine 5th through 8th places among the four losers of the divisional playoffs, and 9th through 12th places among the wild-card losers.

2. Whichever team lost to the Super Bowl winners in the conference championships is counted as third, and whoever lost to the Super Bowl losers is fourth. Then extend this down the line; e.g., fifth place goes to the divisional playoff loser who lost to the Super Bowl winner, sixth to the divisional playoff loser that lost to the Super Bowl loser, seventh to the divisional-playoff loser that lost to the team that was beaten by the Super Bowl winner in the conference championship round, and eighth to the divisional-playoff loser that lost to the team that was beaten by the Super Bowl loser in the conference championship round. Once the first eight teams have been identified by the above procedure, the wild-card losers are ranked 9 through 12 based on who they lost their wild-card game to: The one that lost to the highest-placed team is ninth, the one that lost to the second-highest team is tenth, and so on.

Both the amount of postseason money each playoff team receives, and the order in which they draft, would be as per whichever of the above methods was implemented.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:18 AM   #11
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Talking

Yes I do remember that and I wouldn't mind them trying something like that again. Anything to extend the season lol