Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-21-2004, 03:27 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default The ESPN/USA Today Poll is out and it...

doesn't look good for Auburn. The Tigers were behind Oklahoma by 2 points for 2nd place last week and are now 4 points behind Oklahoma.

Meanwhile, Texas went from 89 points down to Cal in this poll last week to only 39 this week. Good news for Texas, but it might be too little too late. A 4th place finish in the BCS means teams in BCS conferences who didn't win their league get an automatic birth.

Later today, we'll see how much ground Auburn gained/lost on Oklahoma in the AP Poll. Also interesting to note where Texas will be in relation to Cal.

Texas may finish 5th in the BCS, with only one loss to Oklahoma by 12 points and get left out in favor of a Big East team that may not even be ranked in the top 25 when all is said and done this year.

And this system " works?"

Looks like...

Rose......Michigan v Cal
Orange..USC v Oklahoma
Fiesta....Utah v BC/WVU/Pitt
Sugar....Auburn v Virginia Tech/Miami

This lineup sucks if you ask me, besides the Orange Bowl. Hopefully USC loses to Notre Dame and beats UCLA to go to the Rose to play Michigan so a tainted Pac Ten team in Cal doesn't get a trip to Pasadena.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 04:46 PM   #2
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

I really hate seeing Texas up so high, I know they only have 1 loss and it was too Oklahoma, but I think many 2 loss teams could handle them easily. Heres my top 10 in power, not ranks.

1. Auburn
2. USC
3. Oklahoma
4. Miami
5. California
6. Louisville
7. Iowa
8. Georgia
9. Utah
10. LSU
11. Virginia Tech
12. Michigan
13. Arizona State
14. Florida State
15. Virginia

once again, power rankings not actuall record rankings.
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 04:48 PM   #3
gconnhokiebird

oops, its actually top 15 in power, and i forgot about Texas, probaly b/c i hate em' I'd through them in around 11.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:29 PM   #4
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

If Auburn gets left out of the Orange, then 2 of the 4 BCS games are going to be just awful. Auburn vs. VT,Miami, or BC would be an absolute disgrace, and the Fiesta Bowl with Utah vs. one of those formentioned 3 would also be not nearly up to par as a BCS bowl should be.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 08:38 PM   #5
gconnhokiebird

Auburn vs. Miami would be the best game of em' all. I'd take Miami too.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:52 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Wow, things have really turned bad for Auburn. According to ESPN, the Tigers have dropped from their second place tie in the AP Poll to third BY FIVE VOTES. Auburn would have to secure the #2 in BOTH polls over Oklahoma by ATLEAST 20 votes to offset the computers to get into the BCS #2 spot. Translation=virtualy impossible.

Things have got pretty bad for Cal as well. Their lead in the AP poll over Texas went from 109 to 90 votes. They must hold on to both polls over Texas to go to the Rose Bowl, however, they can't hope Texas loses to A&M on Friday because that would open the door for Boise St. or Louisville to gain a spot in the Rose Bowl. Basically, Cal needs to win against So. Miss and Texas must beat A&M in an unimpressive manner to retain the 4th spot in the BCS, while Texas holds the 5th spot.

ESPN predicts the BCS as follows...

1. USC
2. Oklahoma
3. Auburn
4. Cal
5. Texas
6. Utah

However, I wouldn't call USC's chances at going undefeated 100%. Notre Dame has been up and down this year, and UCLA is vastly underrated.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:59 PM   #7
gconnhokiebird

Auburn still has to play a potentially dangerous Tennesee team, say Auburn loses, I would think they should still get an at-large. The greatest thing that could happen would see IOWA STATE pull one of the biggest college football upsets of all time and beat Oklahoma. Why does everyone think Utah will be in a BCS bowl? California and Texas are ahead of them as of now.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:04 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

BCS rules state an non-BCS conference school that finishes in the top 6 of the BCS gets an automatic bid gconn. Utah is pretty much in.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:13 PM   #9
gconnhokiebird

what? I've never heard of that, thats stupid crap. So if their #6 they get infront of the #5 team. Stupid. I want to see the Utes play a real team but I don't think that really makes any sense, espeacially with the kind of system the BCS is.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:29 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Well, that's the system gconn. And you're right. Texas at #5 WILL BE LEFT OUT OF A BCS game because of Utah at #6.

If Auburn should lose, I don't think they would get an at large bid. Provided all else goes according to plan, Cal and Texas would get the 2 at large bids, with Utah getting dropped back down to the Liberty Bowl. Atleast that's what I think would happen. A one loss Cal and Texas team would DEFINITELY deserve an at large bid over Auburn because Cal and Texas would have one loss each, both of them to the only two undeated teams in the nation ( USC and Oklahoma). Auburn's one loss would come to a 2 loss Tennessee team. I have a feeling that if Auburn would lose, their BCS ranking would plummet due to their poor non-conference schedule/slash poor ranking in the polls. It's what happened to Wisconsin when they got their first loss.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:36 AM   #11
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Utah would probably beat Texas, so my heart won't bleed for Texas there. Utah is 3-0 against BCS schools. They beat a UNC team that ended the year on an absolute tear (beating mMiami, losing to VT by 3) by 30. They beat a Texas A&M team that is 5-2 in the vaunted Big XII south by 20. Good for Utah. Those of you that say Utah doesn't deserve a BCS ought to just say, "if you are from a mid-major conference, you should NEVER be allowed into a BCS bowl" because it would be hard to make much of a stronger case than the Utes have made.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 12:46 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

All I am complaining about Kevin is the fact that Texas is ahead of Utah in the system, and gets screwed. This " affirmative action" deal with non-BCS schools is bogus. Take the FIVE (leaving out Big Least) BCS conference champions and then the next three highest BCS ranked teams and there you go. That is if we have to live with this thing, you know I like the old way the best.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:40 PM   #13
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

Well Buckeye, Oklahoma has a better chance of losing to Iowa State than we have of losing to UT, because we are the best team in the country, so do not worry about Auburn losing. We will not lose to UT on a neutral field, or anybody on a neutral field for that matter.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:59 PM   #14
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by tigereyes33
Well Buckeye, Oklahoma has a better chance of losing to Iowa State than we have of losing to UT,
Whoa there...I may give Buckeye grief too, but this is as crazy as anything he has said. The gap between Auburn and Tennessee is greater that that between Oklahoma and Iowa State?!?!? I agree Auburn is better than Oklahoma (but not USC) but apparently you think it's not even close. Why hasn't Auburn beat everyone 50-0?

I'll remember this thread if the spread between ISU/OU is bigger than that of Auburn/UT.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 05:46 PM   #15
Gohawks
All-Star Player

Gohawks is on a distinguished road

I think someone is getting a little cocky lol